Redundant Paralell NVRs/Video Analytics Servers

gswimfrk

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have an video analytics server running blue iris on one property and sighthound on the other recording on motion. I would like to keep a copy of the 24/7 video on another set of hard drives using a stand alone NVR such as the Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP/16. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully implemented a parallel recording of footage on two different storage devices using a single camera. So, essentially the camera system would have a copy of the footage saved on the Video Analytics server and a copy saved on the NVR. Both storage devices would be operating independently but receive one feed from a set of cameras. This way I can discreetly store the NVR in a secure, discreet location in case the video analytics server gets damaged.

Thanks!

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do this with my analog DVR and Blue Iris. With IP cameras I believe you will have to use different streams or have one stream to the other. I have my analog system stream directly to BI. I record on both.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most cameras can handle streaming to two nvr's at the same time, but there is a limit to how many feeds the cameras can provide.. its more than 2 tho.. 5-6 you'll start seeing frames being dropped..

any more and thats what Mulicast is for.. one stream broadcasted to the network for multiple clients to receive.. but it uses UDP and you'll have to have a decent network setup or it'll just tear to death.

gswimfrk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your response guys!

I'm slightly confused, what is the difference between stream and feed? I'm using the Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I(S) cameras in both instances. On the webportal, I can view the substream (very poor quality) and the main stream (highest quality). So does this mean that the secondary NVR will only be able to record in lower quality from the substream?

What I am confused about is that I can have multiple clients log into the webpage of the IPC and all simultaneously view the video on their browser. I was thinking because I am able to do this, multiple devices can record in the same quality as well. Is my thinking incorrect?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response guys!

I'm slightly confused, what is the difference between stream and feed? I'm using the Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I(S) cameras in both instances. On the webportal, I can view the substream (very poor quality) and the main stream (highest quality). So does this mean that the secondary NVR will only be able to record in lower quality from the substream?

What I am confused about is that I can have multiple clients log into the webpage of the IPC and all simultaneously view the video on their browser. I was thinking because I am able to do this, multiple devices can record in the same quality as well. Is my thinking incorrect?

Thanks!
You are correct, you can stream the high res feed to multiple clients. What nayr is saying is that at some point you will overwhelm the camera...that could be 3 streams or 5..it will vary..there are ways around this using multicast or streaming from one client to another, though for most installations its a non issue.

gswimfrk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense. So more than likely having 2 NVR's recording should be a non issue?

Also, whats the purpose of having a substream available in the ipc that is such low res?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so you can view the stream over low bandwidth connections, like remotely on your phone

its also used when displaying multiple streams/feeds on a single display.. if you want to show 4 videos on a 1080p monitor it'll run better as 4 smaller videos stitched together than 4 1080p videos shrunk down...

and then theres other things you can do with it, like record the sub-stream 24/7 so nothing is missing and only the main stream on motion for extra detail...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense. So more than likely having 2 NVR's recording should be a non issue?

Also, whats the purpose of having a substream available in the ipc that is such low res?
2 nvr's will be no problem at all.
The substream is used for mobile devices that dont benefit much from higher res as you are looking at a small screen. It is also used by the NVR to when displaying multiple cameras in matrix view. It can also be used when you need extended storage at a lower bitrate.

gswimfrk

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sense. Seems like there shouldn't be any issues with what I was planning to do. Thanks guys!