Region locking - have I made an expensive mistake?

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I am UK based and recently purchased an ANPR camera from a US retailer due to the apparent same model being 30% cheaper after all costs taken into consideration.

The US retailer was great, super fast delivery, but sadly as I’m trying to set the camera up I see I am unable to change the region from Americas and Africa, and I have a concern that the firmware is optimised to read plates from the country specified as selected in the webpage interface.

It is only now that I have become aware of the notion of region locking. I’m embarrassed to admit it hadn’t crossed my mind.

At this juncture I see I have 3 options:

- return it and take the hit on delivery/import taxes and buy the correct UK one which is significantly more expensive

- try the camera and hope it works as is. If I do this I think I’d struggle to return it

- try and find some way of getting the firmware updated to the UK version, but I’ve no idea how I could “force” the camera to do so.

Any guidance gratefully received.

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
A suggested 4th option (though admittedly optimistic) would be to ask the US retailer for advice and help.
They apparently were happy enough to sell and ship you the device - they should be able to assist with how it could possibly be used outside the USA..
thanks for your reply. I did contact the vendor who suggested I return the camera (at considerable cost and loss of import fees paid upfront). Do you believe there is something they could do, or am I clutching at straws?

Or am I being too dismissive and that the camera would be able to read UK license plates even if configured to a different region? I’m not sure what the region/country setting does as far as ANPR function is concerned.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if there are specific versions of the firmware for specific regions?

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if there are specific versions of the firmware for specific regions?
Yes, there appear to be. There is a UK specific firmware which I downloaded but says is incompatible when I try to apply it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It might be best to clarify with the vendor that they made a mistake when they shipped you a device that they should have known you could not use, and therefore they should bear the cost of returning it.

If it's anything like region-linked IPCs and NVRs the region setting is coded in the flash in a well protected area and cannot simply be changed using stock firmware.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you can simply download the uk firmware and flash it. as long as it not the chinese version. i do that all the time.

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
you can simply download the uk firmware and flash it. as long as it not the chinese version. i do that all the time.
I tried doing this but was presented with an incompatibility error unfortunately.