Regional Firmware, Dealer Exclusivity, Warranty Woes

Reaction score
I have about $2K US invested in Hikvision cams because they provide quality at a reasonable price point, but I'm beginning to think this was a mistake. All this aggravation with regional firmware, dealer exclusivity, support problems, lack of warranty, etc leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I think Hikvision will lose a lot of sales because of their active hostility toward the grey market. I'm certain the next time I expand my system I will use a different camera brand. I'm open to suggestions as to which ones to consider. Anyone have a favorite, and why?

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree.

I like Hikvision cameras I think on the hole they make good products. But the markup for cameras sold outside of China (often over 100% in the UK) is absurd and efforts to control the markets is only hurting them.

I will still buy them but only imported at a good price, not upgrade the firmware (which is OK for me because I don't expose them to the Internet)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have about $2K US invested in Hikvision cams because they provide quality at a reasonable price point, but I'm beginning to think this was a mistake. All this aggravation with regional firmware, dealer exclusivity, support problems, lack of warranty, etc leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I think Hikvision will lose a lot of sales because of their active hostility toward the grey market. I'm certain the next time I expand my system I will use a different camera brand. I'm open to suggestions as to which ones to consider. Anyone have a favorite, and why?
what exactly is your complaint? The issues you cite above are only issues of you are purchasing gray market cameras... You can purchase private label HIK cameras that come with full warranty support (typically 2-4 years), US firmware that are fully firmware upgradable, in English, and in most cases for minimal markup (average $10-$20) more per gray market camera after importing...

People complain about HIk and there region policies - the policies aren't the problem, the Chinese suppliers that attempt to flood other markets are the issues. If you are satisfied with your hardware and HIK do a little more research on the forum and you will very quickly find 2-3 US suppliers with very competitive pricing, great warranties, great support, etc etc. hint: one of them is even a site sponsor.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua, they dont play Regional bullshit and I got full support in OSX, unlike Hik.. I am happy to buy from local suppliers that provide warranty and support, but the thing is there are a ton of cameras they do not sell here.. Ive got 2 PTZ's (well one is on the way) that were never offered by any US Retailer, and likely never will be.. my other PTZ and Fixed cameras were all bought from WrightWood, but they dont sell a vast majority of the models avilable on Dahua's International site.

The only thing people will complain about with Dahua is Firmware availability, all my cams run the firmware they were supplied with.. none need updated because all the features work as expected out of the box.. yeah they dont have as many features as Hik cameras, but unlike Hik all the features it does have work perfectly fine. (Network Storage im looking at you)

Hik created the Grey Market, they are responsible for its existance.. nobody else gives you so much grief for importing cameras.

Before IPCameras came around we were forced to local cameras because most all the imports were PAL formatted, with the introduction of IPCameras the regional crap was behind us.. but for some reason HikVision wants to hold on to the old ways for dear life... Any company that cares more about keeping its distributers failing business models propped up at the expense of there customers deserves this kinda criticism.

Sadly people will keep buying Hik, there hardware is great and affordable.. its just the software sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
what exactly is your complaint?
Not being aware this issue existed, I purchased most of my cams on Amazon.com over a period of a couple weeks last year. I was careful to get ones which came in "Retail Box" and had "English Firmware", and "Full Warranty". Everything was fine until I attempted to upgrade one recently, I got the "language mismatch" error. After researching this issue, I discovered that of the thirteen I purchased, nine have a firmware code of CCCH. So there's no way to tell whether you're getting grey market product from the listing on Amazon. 2 of 3 are likely to be fraudulent. If I'd found this out within the return period, I'd have sent the whole lot back.

My problem is that Hikvision is going about this the wrong way, punishing end users instead of their Chinese suppliers who are pirating the devices with bogus English firmware. I refused to be taken advantage of again. So who makes good IP cams with honest support?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
So there's no way to tell whether you're getting grey market product from the listing on Amazon. 2 of 3 are likely to be fraudulent. If I'd found this out within the return period, I'd have sent the whole lot back.
I hate to say it, but when you order anything from amazon "resellers" or Ebay not direct from an authorized distributor or any "non-authorized site for that matter you take these risks. This is no different then ordering Name brand purses, High end watches, luxury clothing, etc. from these sites. The Chinese have caused these knock off issues. If you ever get the chance to visit Bangkok (same issue as China) stop by the silk market. It is a massive mall of store fronts with every perfect knock off from writting pens to IPads to clothing. So the responsibility does lie on the consumer - those that don't know better do get burned.

My problem is that Hikvision is going about this the wrong way, punishing end users instead of their Chinese suppliers who are pirating the devices with bogus English firmware. I refused to be taken advantage of again. So who makes good IP cams with honest support?
The site sponsor is Nelly's Security. They sell private label HIK hardware - provide direct technical support, warranty support, etc so check them out, they even have there own sub forum and if you sign up for a news letter then post to Ryan he'll send you a first time IPCam talk buyer discount code.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Man .. I waited 5 years to upgrade my Foscam's and after reading a long time on here I went with Hikvision albeit from China only because I can't see paying twice as much. I could not justify warranty or help but, don't see 50% of these dying as they are half price. Now seems Hik may have been a poor move and now I have two more otw ...all I can say is man wife will kill me lol. I will be trying the Huisun PTZ 10x when the firmware gets figured out in few months I guess.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Man .. I waited 5 years to upgrade my Foscam's and after reading a long time on here I went with Hikvision albeit from China only because I can't see paying twice as much. I could not justify warranty or help but, don't see 50% of these dying as they are half price. Now seems Hik may have been a poor move and now I have two more otw ...all I can say is man wife will kill me lol. I will be trying the Huisun PTZ 10x when the firmware gets figured out in few months I guess.
50% more... Jack, you've posted total nonsense the past month. If you think US HIK is 50% more you don't know where to shop and sure as shit haven't looked around this site very much.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
50% more... Jack, you've posted total nonsense the past month. If you think US HIK is 50% more you don't know where to shop and sure as shit haven't looked around this site very much.
Lol poop man, if I have two cameras and one of them fails is that not 50% failure ? . You never seem to read properly or your mind sees what you want it too.

Prove me wrong then pooper, show me a camera like the DS2135F-IS for $75.00 delivered all in to anywhere in Canada or U.S and I will take the sure as shit to the head. Also don't worry you will always be able to charge what you want for your services, Imports won't effect you although I assume its what you install.

So here's my $75.00 buck one now show me yours..(don't want warranty or service for another $75.00 or "twice/double/100% more" thank you)....please I would love to support this side of the pond.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-3MP-Mini-Dome-Camera-Full-HD-1080P-POE-Power-Network-IP66-Indoor/319147_1871393655.html

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol poop man, if I have two cameras and one of them fails is that not 50% failure ? . You never seem to read properly or your mind sees what you want it too.

Prove me wrong then pooper, show me a camera like the DS2135F-IS for $75.00 delivered all in to anywhere in Canada or U.S and I will take the sure as shit to the head. Also don't worry you will always be able to charge what you want for your services, Imports won't effect you.
You said that US region warrantied versions cost twice as much. His point was that they DO NOT cost twice as much. They can be had for 100 (without the audio which most folks never use) if you get the 2mp version you can have it for 89 (the 2mp is the same daytime image quality as the 3mp and improved night and lowlight vision) you simply loose vertical fov.
These cameras have full three year warranties and you dont have to wait for a china shipment. Before ranting like a lunatic you need to learn the facts. It makes no sense to buy china region cameras anymore unless its a model you cannot get from a US vendor.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never said warrantied cameras I said local cameras twice as much and they are ! Like I said send me the same camera in a link then "landed cost" to Canada and US and then I would agree. I have not seen one but, you surely can show me the light then.

I found this one with the 264 instead of 265 and its over double without freight and taxes? so where am I wrong ? wifi that much ?

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/hikvision-2cd2132f-iws-outdoor-hd-wireless-wifi-3mp-ip-dome-security-camera-2-8mm.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-3MP-Mini-Dome-Camera-Full-HD-1080P-POE-Power-Network-IP66-Indoor/319147_1871393655.html

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Never said warrantied cameras I said local cameras twice as much and they are ! Like I said send me the same camera in a link then "landed cost" to Canada and US and then I would agree. I have not seen one but, you surely can show me the light then.
NO THEY ARE NOT TWICE AS MUCH. That is factually incorrect. THEY ARE LOCAL AND WARRANTIED at the price described. The only thing missing is the audio and alarm. 99 percent of folks dont use that. I doubt you do either. You simply, as usual, have no clue. For 89 dollars (or 99 for the turret) you can have a 2mp camera that will perform BETTER in low light than your "bargain" 75 dollar camera and have it in a day or two.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I found this one with the 264 instead of 265 and its over double without freight and taxes? so where am I wrong ?

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/hikvision-2cd2132f-iws-outdoor-hd-wireless-wifi-3mp-ip-dome-security-camera-2-8mm.html
nellys is not the only seller. See the milkisbad thread. Stop acting stupid.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
add another $30 for tax and shipping, I'm just showing you what I bought and the same camera from "local" supplier and it is factual you are inaccurate. Why are you not talking apples with apples ? DO you want to buy a smart car for same price as a corvette they will both get you to the store and the smart car is better on gas too ! but, I will charge double for you to call me if I need to send you another. I would like to see Milkisbad link of the comparable camera please post it > again I will support local but, "landed" and no thanks on the warranty do they offer a no warranty FOB my house for under $100 bucks all in ? I call protectionist you call me stupid? such harsh words very sad, kind of kills the open forum by definition does it not. If I am as stupid as you suggest please link these deals cause I'm missing out.

If 2 is better than a 4 then my lies to my wife were true. Please smile.......

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You never seem to read properly or your mind sees what you want it too.
... because I can't see paying twice as much.
You sir... Are a DUMBASS! Your stated above they are HALF THE PRICE and PAY TWICE AS MUCH! Half price is 50% off. You don't even know what you type - others don't "read what they want" you're just to damn stupid, but I guess I am to for continuing to discuss your damn posts.

Fender hit the nail on the head as far as pricing and examples. Also the link you posted is for the shitty plastic housed version, not the all metal version which is also some of your cost savings. Stop talking out your ass! I'm not posting links or doing work for you. Continue to buy your AE stuff. Further more, I would hate to even send your business to those who support and or sponsor this site as I am guessing you are a freaking customer from hell!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
add another $30 for tax and shipping, I'm just showing you what I bought and the same camera from "local" supplier and it is factual you are inaccurate. Why are you not talking apples with apples ? DO you want to buy a smart car for same price as a corvette they will both get you to the store and the smart car is better on gas too ! but, I will charge double for you to call me if I need to send you another.
You are a fool. Reread my post. Its not another 30 for tax and shipping. You simply have no clue. Every once in a while folks like you popup who have NO idea about ip cameras or installations (take for example the fact that you did not understand network cable specs), then buy the china cameras and think they got a good deal. There is a time and place for the china cams, but you are not the proper customer for them. You keep doing whatever you need to do to justify your purchase. Next time do a bit of research before hand.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One important factor that is often overlooked when buying from china is your options in the even of a failure. For example, if your china NVR failed you are now out of an NVR for a week or two maybe more until you can get a replacement at full cost. Same with the camera. Let me introduce you to Murphy's law. Now if the savings were in fact significant as they are for our European members, then china is still a viable option. It simply makes no sense for most US buyers.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You sir, know nothing about the technology you are trying to have conversations about. People like you are the reason people leave these forums. They come for help and before they can get truthful accurate help some fool like you gives them inaccurate information and they run with it... When they figure out your information was inaccurate they blame the entire forum, yet it was simply one fool talking out his rear about things he knows nothing about. There are PLENTY of posts here explaining the benefits of 2mp over 4mp... Just cause its 4mp doesn't mean its "better"... Kinda like your Smart car vs Corvette comment earlier - but again, your foolish comments/typings don't apply to you.

I would like to see Milkisbad link of the comparable camera please post it

How are you even a member of this site and never seen one of the most popular and posted in posts... However, I wouldn't wish your business upon Milk in a million years, nor do I think he'll want your business based on your posts here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
add another $30 for tax and shipping, I'm just showing you what I bought and the same camera from "local" supplier and it is factual you are inaccurate. Why are you not talking apples with apples ? DO you want to buy a smart car for same price as a corvette they will both get you to the store and the smart car is better on gas too ! but, I will charge double for you to call me if I need to send you another. I would like to see Milkisbad link of the comparable camera please post it > again I will support local but, "landed" and no thanks on the warranty do they offer a no warranty FOB my house for under $100 bucks all in ? I call protectionist you call me stupid? such harsh words very sad, kind of kills the open forum by definition does it not. If I am as stupid as you suggest please link these deals cause I'm missing out.

1) you obviously have not read my posts that debunking lies about china cameras being malware infected etc., pointing to laview/swann/lorex systems that are not sold by anyone affiliated with the site. It pisses me off when morons like you make baseless allegations. I reiterate that there is a time and place for china cameras. You are not an ideal china camera consumer.
2) forget it, you dont deserve US region cameras. Others who read this post will learn from your dumb mistakes.
3) your last line reiterates your lack of understanding about cameras in general and ip cameras specifically. Higher megapixels does NOT result in a better image.