Remote access cameras on NVR

vegas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I need to access the settings on each of the cameras to fine tune each one. They are all hooked up to my NVR POE ports, so I can't just enter the IP address. Anyone have any ideas how I could accomplish this without going out and hooking a wire into each one and attaching it to the computer?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From one of a few recent discussions on that topic:
When the camera is on the separate network segment that the PoE ports use, by default it's traffic will not reach the internet. You need routing information and name resolution for that to work.
I would guess that if you set an internet time source (eg time.windows.com) in the camera config, the 'test' button will show failure.

As you already have 'Virtual Host' working OK, there are just a couple of things you need to do to make this work. These things will enable network routing to work properly to and from the camera, and add name resolution:

In the camera web GUI, set the IP address of the NVR PoE interface as its default gateway. The default value for this is '192.168.254.1'
In the camera web GUI, set a valid entry for DNS. This is necessary for mail server name resolution. Usually the DNS setting would be the IP address of your router, '192.168.1.1' but it does seem to be the case that Hikvision cameras work better with '8.8.8.8'
You should probably reboot the camera and confirm the settings hold OK.
And lastly - this is the trickiest as it depends on your specific router model - you must add a permanent, private static route so that your router/gateway knows how to route traffic to and from the camera.
Assuming the default values for the PoE interface, the values you need for the 'static route configuration' in your router are:
Destination network 192.168.254.0 (yes, it's a zero), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.13 (ie your NVR LAN address) and some metric such as 2.

And you can test with the time source button.
And a how-to from a while back. If you have 'Virtual Host' you don't need to activate the kernel 'IP forwarding', handy as it's back to default after a reboot.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=extra+wiring