Remote access of BI best practices?

Discussion in 'Mobile Apps' started by WannaTheater, Sep 26, 2018.

Share This Page

1. WannaTheater

WannaTheater n3wb

I have OpenVPN running on home router. Looking for some recommendations on the best way top access live feeds/Alerts, etc, while away from LAN. I am only using iOS devices. I've also purchased the BI mobile app.

Option 1:
    1) Connect to OpenVPN from OpenVPN Connect client app. Then access Blue Iris server from browser (Safari). Seems to work fine. Using this method it seems like I perhaps didn't need to purchase the BI mobile app.

Option 2:
    1) Connect to OpenVPN from OpenVPN Connect client app. Access through the BI mobile app. (haven't tested)

Option 3:
    1) Allow BI mobile app to connect directly BI web server (option available on Web server tab, which autopopulates WAN with public IP address). I am assuming this will poke some holes in firewall (UPnP?)
    In this case, I would be not making use of OpenVPN.

Any options preferable/more secure than the others?

Thanks!

2. aristobrat

aristobrat Known around here

Both 1 and 2 are more secure than 3. I think once you really start getting a lot of alerts, you’re likely to be more proficient getting around the system with the BI mobile app (2).

3. th182

th182 n3wb

I use option 2. Works great! I'm starting to just leave the OpenVPN connection up even when not actively using BI. I connect to work and a few other WiFi points and it makes me feel better knowing my traffic is through the VPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mr_D

Mr_D Getting comfortable

5. WannaTheater

WannaTheater n3wb