Remote access on Phone - works via 4G, but not via Wifi!

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

My ISP has sent my a new router (Plusnet Hub One). I have installed it and tweaked it.
  • I can access the NVR on my laptop via Wifi.
  • I can also access the NVR on my iPhone via 4G (IVMS-4500 app).
  • But I cannot access it on my iPhone via Wifi. This makes no sense to me.

On my new router, I have assigned a DMZ to the NVR. I believe I do not have to open the ports because of the assignment of the DMZ (?).

I went to canyouseeme.org and checked each of the ports 80, 554, 8000 & 443. All ports were open except for 443. I am not sure if this is related to the iPhone connection over WIFI problem. I tried to open the port just in case by selecting HTTPS (which I think is port 443?) and then the NVR's IP address. But it didn't work.

Can you please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question is on which IP do you access it on your laptop ? internal IP or external IP ? and same question for your iPhone.

My guess... you access internal IP with your laptop but external public IP from your iPhone within your local network behind the same router which may not work, if yes then change IP'NVR on the iPhone to use internal one.

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
Question is on which IP do you access it on your laptop ? internal IP or external IP ? and same question for your iPhone.

My guess... you access internal IP with your laptop but external public IP from your iPhone within your local network behind the same router which may not work,.
Ah, this is where my IT knowledge runs out. :-(
I am going to guess my laptop and my iPhone have internal IP addresses, as I can see both start with 192.168... etc.
Whereas I know that I now have an external IP address that starts with 81....

if yes then change IP'NVR on the iPhone to use internal one.
How do I do this? I tried it with IVMS-4500, but it didn't work.
  • Devices > Manual Adding >
  • Register Mode = iP/Domain
  • Address = NVR IP (as noted on my router as being the NVR IP)
Do you have a dummies guide to do this? It seems I might need it...

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  • Devices > Manual Adding >
  • Register Mode = iP/Domain
  • Address = NVR IP (as noted on my router as being the NVR IP)
use the internal NVR IP 192.x.x.x as you selected on your Laptop software

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a common problem with modem router combos...search nat loopback...you will have to set two profiles one local one remote..

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
I have now managed to get it working. I set the NVR's internal IP address as the IP Domain on the IVMS-4500 app.

Problem is that when not on WIFI, I have to manually switch to the external IP address, so its not ideal. Is this the Nat Loopback?

Previously it was working through the DDNS, so it was picked up both at home and away without the need to switch IP addresses.

But its working, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Previously it was working through the DDNS, so it was picked up both at home and away without the need to switch IP addresses.
DDNS expose you public IP so if it do not work now from inside your network using public IP set manualy it should not work either using DDNS name as it will point to the same IP.

So I am estonished it worked "before" or it was not exactly same environment/router/network...

Last edited:

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps I am not using the right terms?

Up until yesterday when I changed to the better router (with dual band), I was able to use the IVMS-4500 app both at home and away from home using the same settings. These were as follows:
  • Register Mode: HiDDNS (I think this is Hikvision's own DDNS?)
  • Device Domain: xxxxxxxxxxx (the name I assigned on my NVR)
Now...

For access at home via WIFI I am using:
  • Register Mode: IP/Domain
  • Address: 192.168, etc
  • Port: 8000
And for access away from home via 4G I am using:
  • Register Mode: IP/Domain
  • Address: 81... etc (my static IP)
  • Port: 8000
Does that make a bit more sense?

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK so here we are, you changed your router ;-)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As stated this is a nat loopback issue..there is NOTHING you can do except get a new router and set modem in bridge mode (or get a separate modem and separate router) or setup TWO different profiles, one for lan one for wan...This happens all the time with modem/router combo's such as yours.

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, sorry! I mentioned at the start that it was a new router, but perhaps I should have mentioned that it wasn't a straight replacement, but an 'upgrade'. In fact previously I had a separate modem and router, and now I have an all-in-one. So I think this why I have encountered the nat loopback issue.

One last question - previously the ports had been opened individually. Now they are opened by the assigned DMZ. However... someone has told me that I should not have done this. Not sure why - more risky for hacking? Do you agree that I should not have assigned a DMZ? Should I remove the DMZ and open the individual ports again?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, sorry! I mentioned at the start that it was a new router, but perhaps I should have mentioned that it wasn't a straight replacement, but an 'upgrade'. In fact previously I had a separate modem and router, and now I have an all-in-one. So I think this why I have encountered the nat loopback issue.

One last question - previously the ports had been opened individually. Now they are opened by the assigned DMZ. However... someone has told me that I should not have done this. Not sure why - more risky for hacking? Do you agree that I should not have assigned a DMZ? Should I remove the DMZ and open the individual ports again?
You should not be forwarding any ports if you are concerned about security...setup vpn...but if you are forwarding ports, DMZ is a terrible idea leaving everything exposed...

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh no! It was a so-called IT expert who set this up for me!

Ok, so to setup a VPN - where do I even start? Do I need to purchase one?
And what settings would I need to change to get it to work?
Do I need to change the settings on my router, or just on my NVR?
Is it difficult? I can muddle my way through - but this is new world for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no! It was a so-called IT expert who set this up for me!

Ok, so to setup a VPN - where do I even start? Do I need to purchase one?
And what settings would I need to change to get it to work?
Do I need to change the settings on my router, or just on my NVR?
Is it difficult? I can muddle my way through - but this is new world for me.
There is a vpn primer thread on the forum by @nayr...