Remote Access Test Fails

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently changed my comcast modem. I have my own Netgear router and wireless. After changing the modem I found that I can no longer reach my BI from the public address. I run the WIzard and ift fails the Remote Access test with "The operation has timed out". I run canyouseeme and it fails with the port that BI is running on and fails with " I could not see your service on xx.xx.xx.xx on port (9050)".

Given the results does this mean it can only my network problem and not BI?
Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently changed my comcast modem. I have my own Netgear router and wireless. After changing the modem I found that I can no longer reach my BI from the public address. I run the WIzard and ift fails the Remote Access test with "The operation has timed out". I run canyouseeme and it fails with the port that BI is running on and fails with " I could not see your service on xx.xx.xx.xx on port (9050)".

Given the results does this mean it can only my network problem and not BI?
Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this?
what is the exact model of the modem...is it a router modem combo?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as I can tell it is the the xFi and is a combo.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually it is the XB6 and is a combo

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are 100% correct. I could not get the answer from the from comcast so I logged on to the modem and did exactly what you said. It works now!
Thank you very much.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am payong a monthly fee. Why do you ask?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let me look into that. Will I lose anything by doing that? Do you know long before I will have to replace it with a new modem to keep up with the features comcast offers?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me look into that. Will I lose anything by doing that? Do you know long before I will have to replace it with a new modem to keep up with the features comcast offers?
What features are you concerned about losing?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also have xfinity phone service. After google it looks like most of these modems are $120-$140.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have xfinity phone service. After google it looks like most of these modems are $120-$140.
You can buy a used Arris modem that supports telephone for $50 via eBay... How much are you paying those scammers monthly for your modem?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I dont need the wifi and router so it may be cheaper. I do want the speed the xfinity provides. So this may be a good idea.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it hard to install and connect to xfinity?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My bill says download up to 400Mbps. So you are right. I may be able to save money here by getting a modem without wireless

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I pay a $11 bucks a month and the thing must use a lot of energy because it runs hot. ALso I am not getting anymore features than the old one but I am sure that comcast it using this to benefit it's self somehow (ie. getting more info about me and how I use the internet/TV)