Remote access using VPN

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have successfully setup a tunnel VPN using OpenVPN. Using an iPhone and Safari as the browser, I can access my home network and bring up the Hikvision web interface for my NVR. Problem is I can't live view because it's asking for a plug-in. Where do I go from here?

Am I even going about this correctly using the browser to Hik web interface? Should I be using Hik IVMS4200 or another application? I feel I'm almost there but lost at this point.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use the ivms app for live view. It also provides playback functionality.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the IVMS app installed on the iPhone only? If so, after the VPN connection is made, how is the IVMS app directed to my NVR? I know this is simple but I can't get the concept. All help is appreciated.

Maybe this is covered in the VPN Primer for Noobs but I haven't seen it.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If so, after the VPN connection is made, how is the IVMS app directed to my NVR?
After the VPN connection is made, your mobile device is basically tunneled to your home's LAN which your NVR is also on. Then the IVMS app on your mobile device can just call up the NVR's local IP address to access it.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have successfully installed and am using the IVMS app on my iPhone. I get a good connection to my NVR when my iPhone is set to "Wi-Fi ON" and linked to my home network. When I turn Wi-Fi to OFF it will not connect to the NVR. OpenVPN only seems to be working with a Wi-Fi connection. I'm pretty sure it will work on a mobile (cellular) data connection. Any ideas or suggestions to try?

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to first start the VPN connection on your phone, then open the IVMS app.
Already tried that. Didn't work. Maybe an issue in my OpenVPN config file??

My Asus AC86U is setup just like Southern Yankee in post #12 of this thread:

Only thing I can think of is checked "none" on HTTPS/SSL Certificate when setting up the DDNS service. Is this necessary?

Last edited: