Remote Connection

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like to install two cameras at my sisters house and use the nvr at my house to record the images.

My question is will this affect the internet speed at my house and her house? I presume that the cameras will affect the upload speed at my sisters house and the download speed at my house?

Anyone have any experience of doing this?

My nvr is a DS-7604

This is the camera i am thinking of buying:
Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 4mp Night Camera IPC HFW4431R Z 80m IR with 2.7~12mm VF lens Motorized Zoom Auto Focus Bullet IP Camera from Reliable ip camera suppliers on XinRay Store

Many thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My question is will this affect the internet speed at my house and her house? I presume that the cameras will affect the upload speed at my sisters house and the download speed at my house
Absolutely!
Unless you both have a high-speed connection, it will likely kill the performance, and maybe attract the attention of the ISP under the fair use policy for traffic volume.

Assume that, using the main stream from the cameras, that each camera will require 4-8Mbps of traffic, and see how that compares with the upload speed at your sister's house.
You could opt to use the sub stream to consume less bandwidth, at the expense of a low-resolution recording.

Reactions: RBW

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Absolutely!
Unless you both have a high-speed connection, it will likely kill the performance, and maybe attract the attention of the ISP under the fair use policy for traffic volume.

Assume that, using the main stream from the cameras, that each camera will require 4-8Mbps of traffic, and see how that compares with the upload speed at your sister's house.
You could opt to use the sub stream to consume less bandwidth, at the expense of a low-resolution recording.
Ok thank you. I guess this idea is a no no then :blankstare:

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Download: 43 Mbs
Upload: 9 Mbs

I guess that will not cut it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
2 cameras feeding main streams would not be practical. But a substream would work ok, at the expense of low resolution recordings.
You need to be aware of the security consequences of opening ports.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2 cameras feeding main streams would not be practical. But a substream would work ok, at the expense of low resolution recordings.
You need to be aware of the security consequences of opening ports.
Ok ill think ill go down an extra nvr route.

Security and port-forwarding?