Remote Desktop doesn't work on Win10 but does work on Android

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Trying to login to my Blue Iris server remotely via OpenVPN as I'm visiting family in another State. I am able to turn on OpenVPN from both my Android phone and Android tablet then RDP into my BI server successfully. However, when I kickoff RDP on my laptop I get the following error message. A couple of month it worked just fine on the laptop from my family's home network but now it doesn't for just the laptop. Any clues as to only the Win10 laptop is having a fit but not the Android phone or tablet?

1655832439228.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something changed on your laptop would be my guess, due to a Windows Update.
Check that you have the proper outbound ports open for RDP.
Can you open UI3, from your laptop?

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like a name resolution problem across the different subnets created when the connection is coming in via OpenVPN vs. local LAN directly. Can you try using the BI server LAN IP instead of a hostname in the RDP connection dialog box?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Something changed on your laptop would be my guess, due to a Windows Update.
Check that you have the proper outbound ports open for RDP.
Can you open UI3, from your laptop?
Yes, UI3 works without issue since I'm providing the IP address and port number.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I never had to do this before but went ahead and added the IP address and name of my BI server to the hosts file of my laptop in the directory: c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Not sure how RDP was looking up the IP address of my BI server before when I was logging in via RDP from my family's network since their router did not have the IP address assigned in the DHCP list. Anyhow, another head scratcher but I got it working now using just the hostname.

Reaction score
everytime I do a windows update on my blue iris PC (yes I know...updates bad but some of them are critical for security or exploit fixins so I must), it resets SOME parameter in RDP that I have to reconfigure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
everytime I do a windows update on my blue iris PC (yes I know...updates bad but some of them are critical for security or exploit fixins so I must), it resets SOME parameter in RDP that I have to reconfigure.
That is not normal behavior. I never have to reset any rdp setting over many office pc's with frequent updates.

Reaction score
That is not normal behavior. I never have to reset any rdp setting over many office pc's with frequent updates.
The first two times some update happened, it messed up the RDP in some fashion that I did not have time to dig into the problem...I gave up and went the remote chrome desktop route (I think you actually suggested that, about a year ago) which worked great :)
I re-tackled the issue again and found some parameter was changed to default (can't remember which one it was) after another update. I corrected it and it works.

Reaction score
So, attempting to migrate from one Windows 10 Pro system to a smaller-footprint Windows 10 Pro system with a clean install of Windows 10. The problem is, Remote Desktop Connection refuses to freaking connect. Cannot for the life of me figure out what the HELL the RDP problem is, either. Checked hostname, checked workgroup name, checked IP address (it's static, and not duplicated), checked Settings, checked Firewall, rebooted at least five or six times already.

Seriously, Microsoft; what the HELL is wrong with you? :smash:

ANSWER:
Apparently, some ESP8266 or ESP32 IOT device (all of which are DHCP from .100 to .254) decided to jump on and steal the IP address. This caused IP address duplication, which ALWAYS messes up local area network device resolution. For the moment, assigned a different static IP address to the new Blue Iris system, and RDP is working. The next problem is going to be identifying whichever of those danged IOT devices (all running in ESPHome) is the culprit.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So, attempting to migrate from one Windows 10 Pro system to a smaller-footprint Windows 10 Pro system with a clean install of Windows 10. The problem is, Remote Desktop Connection refuses to freaking connect. Cannot for the life of me figure out what the HELL the RDP problem is, either. Checked hostname, checked workgroup name, checked IP address (it's static, and not duplicated), checked Settings, checked Firewall, rebooted at least five or six times already.

Seriously, Microsoft; what the HELL is wrong with you? :smash:

ANSWER: Apparently, some ESP8266 or ESP32 IOT device (all of which are DHCP from .100 to .254) decided to jump on and steal the IP address. This caused IP address duplication, which ALWAYS messes up local area network device resolution. For the moment, assigned a different static IP address to the new Blue Iris system, and RDP is working. The next problem is going to be identifying whichever of those danged IOT devices (all running in ESPHome) is the culprit.
It's always the network :) and if it isn't the network, it's the firewall.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
In this case, the problem appears to be the DHCP server on the router. :(
After a few power-downs and restarts, the 'rogue' ESP device no longer appears.
If it is DHCP related, look for a "ping" option before the IP is actually offered. Some DHCP servers offer that, which tells the DHCP server ping the IP first before offering it up and if something responds, the DHCP server goes to the next address in the list it thinks is available and doesn't hand out a duplicate IP.