Remote installation without internet

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking to install a license plate camera in an area without internet. This installation would not need to be constantly monitored. It would only be accessed if plate information were needed. The location has power. The simplest setup would be a camera plugged into an nvr. My first thought for connecting to the nvr would be plugging the nvr into a small wireless router. That would allow access to the isolated network without having to get into the box. There would be 2 of them set up about 1300 feet apart without line of sight between them. There would be about 6 houses in the way. Each camera could be set up separately. They do not need to talk to each other.

Does anyone who has set up something like this have any suggestions on any tweaks or even a better setup?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem with no internet is that you would never no if the camera or recorder was malfunctioning until after you needed the footage.
Yes, I agree that could be a problem. I'm hoping to avoid any recurring costs or subscription stuff like a cellular connection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree that could be a problem. I'm hoping to avoid any recurring costs or subscription stuff like a cellular connection.
Cell connections that would be used for the occasional testing are really cheap.

Reaction score
Would that be something like a hotspot with an ethernet port?
Yes. You can get 50 GB from ATT for $55/mo, and some of the hotspots are fairly cheap. Verizon and T-Mobile also have plans. I added a hotspot to my Verizon plan with 100GB/mo unlimited for $40/mo plus the hotspot cost of $9.72/mo for 36 months. Realize that I use this for internet access from our motorhome when we are on the road. There are much cheaper hotspots and data plans available. I chose a very good 5G hotspot that is very fast.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. You can get 50 GB from ATT for $55/mo, and some of the hotspots are fairly cheap. Verizon and T-Mobile also have plans. I added a hotspot to my Verizon plan with 100GB/mo unlimited for $40/mo plus the hotspot cost of $9.72/mo for 36 months. Realize that I use this for internet access from our motorhome when we are on the road. There are much cheaper hotspots and data plans available. I chose a very good 5G hotspot that is very fast.
Just for the occasional checks you can buy a tiny router that accepts a sim card and use mint mobile at 15 bucks for 5gb - similar plans are available from other mnvo's.