Remote Management question

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,
So, I have BI5 up and running and doing a decent job but I have a couple questions before I look into a second license for remote management:

1) Do the users need to still have administrative rights?

2) Is the video delay lower than when viewing through UI3? Normally on UI3 I'm seeing a 1.5-2.5 second delay and I was hoping to get a view that was 1s or less for live monitoring. The server is stored in a secure closet so it can't be used as the live monitor.

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you use remote desktop to get to the server? That seems like it would be easiest, and not require a second license.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you use remote desktop to get to the server? That seems like it would be easiest, and not require a second license.
Id prefer not. This is just a monitoring station that multiple people would have access to, if rather then not have direct access to the master system

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your use case. What are you trying to do and why ?
Can people really be attentive to determine a 1.5 second delay.
If this is so important what is $57.99 for another license.
Remember you will be doubling your network traffic from the cameras.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is your use case. What are you trying to do and why ?
Can people really be attentive to determine a 1.5 second delay.
If this is so important what is $57.99 for another license.
Remember you will be doubling your network traffic from the cameras.
The use case is a front desk monitoring station that is only concerned with 4 cameras. 1.5 second delay can easily have a potential hostile actor whom is running from outside to inside before action could be taken (front office is very close to the front doors but not looking straight out front so the cameras are important as that would be the only way to have advance warning). I know it sounds like it shouldn't make a difference, but if total time between recognizing and taking action is short every second can count. My original bi system was even slower at 2.5 to up to 3 seconds, so the better hardware (Intel i7 vs amd with no decoding) helped a lot

Purchasing another license isn't an issue - spending money if it won't help is :). Right now we are using something else to monitor those cameras while being recorded in BI, I'd just rather use a single solution if possible.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can adjust FPS and select a stream profile for each user, even limit bandwidth.
Go to "Options", "Users", then "edit user", make selections.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In UI3 if you change the video player to "JavaScript" (in UI Settings > Video Player) then the additional delay in sending to UI3 should be almost imperceptible compared to watching it locally on the Blue Iris computer. The default HTML5 player can have significantly more delay because UI3 can't control it as much.

If that isn't good enough, then I don't know what to suggest, except to suggest pulling sub streams that are a lot lower resolution and bit rate. This should inherently have less delay than main streams.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I appreciate the info and suggestions (which I will try). I'm still curious about my 2 questions though from my original post...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
1) Which users?
2) Probably more delay than UI3 if using UI3's Javascript player. Maybe less delay if using UI3's HTML5 player.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) Which users?
2) Probably more delay than UI3 if using UI3's Javascript player. Maybe less delay if using UI3's HTML5 player.
If using remote management (through a second copy of BI), even if just using to view, can a user with just camera group viewing permissions make that remote connection, or is using BI remote forced to an administrative user level?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
So, I have BI5 up and running and doing a decent job but I have a couple questions before I look into a second license for remote management:

1) Do the users need to still have administrative rights?

2) Is the video delay lower than when viewing through UI3? Normally on UI3 I'm seeing a 1.5-2.5 second delay and I was hoping to get a view that was 1s or less for live monitoring. The server is stored in a secure closet so it can't be used as the live monitor.
Could you run an HDMI cable from the BI server to the front desk display?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If using remote management (through a second copy of BI), even if just using to view, can a user with just camera group viewing permissions make that remote connection, or is using BI remote forced to an administrative user level?
I just tried with the Administrator checkbox unchecked, and got this: