hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Party pooper

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's a great way to get sued. Even a safer unwelcome mat to keep bears away can get you in leagl trouble if somebody is injured.

The term would be unplatted not unpladed, there are almost certainly still laws/zoning/building requirements that DO apply. Realtors routinely give people incorrect information about what they can and can't do with a property. I've seen it time an time again in rural areas. It's possible for properties to pre-date some requirements but generally the county has already done things to legally resolve such issues. This is something you should really research yourself to avoid future hassles.

Security films are harder to apply than regular tint. I'd also recommend upgrading to a decent double panned window if it's the typical really low quality stuff you see on sheds... you'd be surprised what you can find on craigslist.
Ill look into a bit more when the time comes for a new shed. Thanks
We will be hiring someone to do the building process, and hopefuly they can shine some additional light along the way.

the shed/ shack that we currently have is just plain single sheet of glass. I would like to have a wooden style cabin out their in the future when things settle down a bit for a get away place, and not having to stay in a rv/ tent.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone have other reconmendation for alarm systems besides simply safe? I will be needing something that works off internet, or maybe GSM as a back up ( cell service sucks in the area). I have seen a company called alarm grid that uses a honeywell controller. It seems nice, and I wouldn't have to go about hiding a RPI with domoticz for notification. I'm sure simply safe does some similar stuff, but I see a lot of neat sensor for the Honeywell system like "car detector" and outdoor magnetic sensor. It does cost double... Just looking for inputs.

Side bar. One of my Hikvision cams from amazon came in, and will be playing with it for the week to see if I will get more or order something similar with alarm inputs

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have other reconmendation for alarm systems besides simply safe? I will be needing something that works off internet, or maybe GSM as a back up ( cell service sucks in the area). I have seen a company called alarm grid that uses a honeywell controller. It seems nice, and I wouldn't have to go about hiding a RPI with domoticz for notification. I'm sure simply safe does some similar stuff, but I see a lot of neat sensor for the Honeywell system like "car detector" and outdoor magnetic sensor. It does cost double... Just looking for inputs.

Side bar. One of my Hikvision cams from amazon came in, and will be playing with it for the week to see if I will get more or order something similar with alarm inputs
I'd probably go some something like a Honeywell Vista 20P or 15P. Ebay is cheapest. I'd stay away from the lynx (though the 5200 can call and talk to you) or lyric panels for your needs the vista has a nice metal enclosure unlike the lynx. I don't see the wireless sensors being that useful long range, they're good for less than 200' from what I found.

You can get gsm or cdma monitoring starting at around $15/mo. IS CDMA reception better? Internet monitoring starts at $10-15. POTS dial in monitoring at about $9.
The Envisia Link EVL-4 can send you alerts over the internet for free and works with honeywell/dsc but not the all in one models like the lynx.

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding satellite internet, I have it but only because I have no other choice other than dialup (14.4 max due to low quality lines). For security I use Blue Iris and HomeSeer. The problem is that satellite plans usually have a data cap. Mine is 10GB per month. That pretty much precludes video. I am using snap shots. If you can avoid satellite, I'd suggest that you do.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Regarding satellite internet, I have it but only because I have no other choice other than dialup (14.4 max due to low quality lines). For security I use Blue Iris and HomeSeer. The problem is that satellite plans usually have a data cap. Mine is 10GB per month. That pretty much precludes video. I am using snap shots. If you can avoid satellite, I'd suggest that you do.
Do you live in the middle of no where?

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you live in the middle of no where?
I live 75 miles from Seattle in the Cascade Mountains. Very rural. Few people. Not the demographics that Comcast is looking for. Too far from the telco hub for DSL to work. No cell either, hence the land line.

Yea, I guess it is the middle of nowhere or at least on the edge.

Reaction score

In my opinion, SimplySafe is junk. The system has very little expandability and the hardware seems pretty cheap and basic. On top of that, you're stuck with their monitoring service or self-monitoring service. If you decide you don't like their service you pretty much wasted your money on all the sensors and peripherals you purchased. With a traditional alarm system like the Vista 20p, you can use just about any UL listed monitoring station.

AlarmGrid is my preferred alarm company for DIY installs. Follow @tangent's advice and stay away from the AIO wireless units if you can.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd probably go some something like a Honeywell Vista 20P or 15P. Ebay is cheapest. I'd stay away from the lynx (though the 5200 can call and talk to you) or lyric panels for your needs the vista has a nice metal enclosure unlike the lynx. I don't see the wireless sensors being that useful long range, they're good for less than 200' from what I found.

You can get gsm or cdma monitoring starting at around $15/mo. IS CDMA reception better? Internet monitoring starts at $10-15. POTS dial in monitoring at about $9.
The Envisia Link EVL-4 can send you alerts over the internet for free and works with honeywell/dsc but not the all in one models like the lynx.
Cool, I will look into Honeywell and Envisia a bit more. Do you know if I can integrate some of the sensor into domoticz or similar?
If they are good for about 200 feet that would be great for around the main area, and all I wouldtruely need to do right away is get a trencher to do a gate sensor...
I just realized, I will not be able to put the gate on the alarm as it would probably set the alarm off as soon as it was open. Maybe this is where I still need to do the RPi idea.
I'm not sure about CDMA. I believe one person in our family has Verizon, but I'm not sure how great their reception has been.

Thanks for the input, I just found out their is a possibility of getting cable out there. I'm going to call around when I get a chance. Been bombarded with some crazy asssignment due dates lately.

In my opinion, SimplySafe is junk. The system has very little expandability and the hardware seems pretty cheap and basic. On top of that, you're stuck with their monitoring service or self-monitoring service. If you decide you don't like their service you pretty much wasted your money on all the sensors and peripherals you purchased. With a traditional alarm system like the Vista 20p, you can use just about any UL listed monitoring station.

AlarmGrid is my preferred alarm company for DIY installs. Follow @tangent's advice and stay away from the AIO wireless units if you can.
That's a good argument against Simply asfe. Can Alarm Grid have a similar easy set up?

So far I have liked a lot of tangent idea. If I do wireless it's more temporarily than anything

Anyone have reconmendation on wire size? It's mainly going to be used for switching, and worse case maybe less than 2 amps of current? The max distance would be around the 400ft mark. Was thinking 24ga should do? It will be ran to alarm/ RPI

Reaction score
That's a good argument against Simply asfe. Can Alarm Grid have a similar easy set up?

So far I have liked a lot of tangent idea. If I do wireless it's more temporarily than anything
AlarmGrid is just the monitoring service, the complexity of the system installation depends on what system you install. The Vista 20p isn't a hard system to install, however, you will need to read the installation manual to get a basic understanding. There are also plenty of installation videos on YouTube demonstrating how to install the system.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this is where I still need to do the RPi idea.
I'm not sure about CDMA. I believe one person in our family has Verizon, but I'm not sure how great their reception has been.
Just put a camera out there with alarm I/O and wire it to something like a wide gap magnetic switch.

you can make the camera email you if the gate is opened.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For driveway monitoring I am fond of air-tubes, they are extremely reliable for vehicle detection: "Ding-Ding" - Milton's Bells | Driveway Alarms | Official Site| and you dont want to be getting false alarms on this stuff... If you want/need to get approaching foot traffic then the beam sensors that they use on garage doors can work pretty well but you might get notified of Wildlife more than 2-Legged creatures.
To expand on your air tube suggestion, most of this company's products aren't designed to hook up to an alarm system or camera io. For this application you'd want either the "remote switch" or "remote switch economy" or even just the "diaphragm for original red bell" though you'd have to enclose that one somehow. plus some tubing. This would still alert you if the gate is left open to vehicles at least. I bet milton's bells would sell more of their products if they posted the manuals online.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, most people still want the bell chime and then its just hooking up a relay.. I believe the wireless recievers have a relay output and they use that to trigger the old fashioned bell.. would be easiest to hook that to a NVR inside, but if your going for direct to camera you'll want a remote switch for easiest hookup..

the one I installed at my grandma's house was just standalone; and since it only goes off when someone pulls up her driveway she actually gets up when she hears it and lets us in.. her old motion sensor one went off for wildlife all the time and she just trained her self to ignore it, defeating the entire point.. didnt help she has wildlife feeders all over the place.

When you live out in middle of nowhere, the odds of someone coming up to your property on foot are extremely low.. but I guess if its a neighbor then the'll know about it and avoid triggering it

Last edited:

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AlarmGrid is just the monitoring service, the complexity of the system installation depends on what system you install. The Vista 20p isn't a hard system to install, however, you will need to read the installation manual to get a basic understanding. There are also plenty of installation videos on YouTube demonstrating how to install the system.
That would be a good idea for when the new storage building is place. I could mount that pretty high. As for a temp I guess I could just move it once things are done.

Just put a camera out there with alarm I/O and wire it to something like a wide gap magnetic switch.

you can make the camera email you if the gate is opened.
That was one of my ideas for a quick notification, but a lot of the camera system I played with do not have great emailing reliability (Qsee, amcrest, and currently a Hikvision).

IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology

I have one of em on the way, I expect it to do well at a distance..
Oooo. Let me know how that goes! Any other with alarm inputs you would reconmend around the 100-175 price? Maybe with a amazon check out option? haha

yeah, most people still want the bell chime and then its just hooking up a relay.. I believe the wireless recievers have a relay output and they use that to trigger the old fashioned bell.. would be easiest to hook that to a NVR inside, but if your going for direct to camera you'll want a remote switch for easiest hookup..

the one I installed at my grandma's house was just standalone; and since it only goes off when someone pulls up her driveway she actually gets up when she hears it and lets us in.. her old motion sensor one went off for wildlife all the time and she just trained her self to ignore it, defeating the entire point.. didnt help she has wildlife feeders all over the place.

When you live out in middle of nowhere, the odds of someone coming up to your property on foot are extremely low.. but I guess if its a neighbor then the'll know about it and avoid triggering it
That's very true, Guess my PIR idea of the main "drive way" might not be the greatest idea

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy can beat Amazon if he has em in stock; he shipped my latest camera on Sunday and I just reviewed it today ;)

for the distances your looking at I cant suggest another camera; it should be ~$190 IIRC and you wont find anything else with 6-35mm Varifocal w/Starlight Capabilities and External Alarm IO

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy can beat Amazon if he has em in stock; he shipped my latest camera on Sunday and I just reviewed it today ;)

for the distances your looking at I cant suggest another camera; it should be ~$190 IIRC and you wont find anything else with 6-35mm Varifocal w/Starlight Capabilities and External Alarm IO
What's the link for Andy? The link above took me to dahua home page. May give him a chance...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's very true, Guess my PIR idea of the main "drive way" might not be the greatest idea
I'd probably put up an out door PIR, preferably one with dual PIR elements and microwave motion. I just wouldn't hook it into the alarm as a zone that reports to the monitoring company. I'd hook it to a camera, nvr, or your alarm panel (set as a local monitor / chime zone). I'd use a wired device like the DSC LC-171 on the side of whatever building you're going to install the alarm panel in pointed towards the driveway or your other buildings.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I would not use SimpliSafe, nor would I recommend them to any of my family or friends. They designed their systems with no way to upgrade the firmware, and the technology is susceptible to a replay hack on the wireless arm/disarm commands. SimpliSafe brushed it off. There's a major, unfixable flaw in a security system used in over 200,000 homes

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not use SimpliSafe, nor would I recommend them to any of my family or friends. They designed their systems with no way to upgrade the firmware, and the technology is susceptible to a replay hack on the wireless arm/disarm commands. SimpliSafe brushed it off. There's a major, unfixable flaw in a security system used in over 200,000 homes
Most garage door openers, many car alarms, and plenty of other home alarms are also susceptible to replay attacks (from keyfobs, not the keypad). Even some devices with a higher security mode are often installed without enabling the high security mode because the installers are lazy.