Remote property broken into...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Most garage door openers, many car alarms, and plenty of other home alarms are also susceptible to replay attacks (from keyfobs, not the keypad). Even some devices with a higher security mode are often installed without enabling the high security mode because the installers are lazy.
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone with the skill or knowledge to do that kinda stuff is wasting their time with anything except very high end expensive houses in super fancy neighborhoods where they are likely to get a big score.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone with the skill or knowledge to do that kinda stuff is wasting their time with anything except very high end expensive houses in super fancy neighborhoods where they are likely to get a big score.
Yes and no, I agree a boot or crowbar and wire cutters are more likely. However there are people who sell electronics like this, and in the future we could easily see more of it.

Put simply ALL wireless alarms have significant security flaws and most are installed with rf jamming detection disabled.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes and no, I agree a boot or crowbar and wire cutters are more likely. However there are people who sell electronics like this, and in the future we could easily see more of it.

Put simply ALL wireless alarms have significant security flaws and most are installed with rf jamming detection disabled.
I'm not tellin you not to put your tin foil hat on, I'm just stating what is likely lol.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd probably put up an out door PIR, preferably one with dual PIR elements and microwave motion. I just wouldn't hook it into the alarm as a zone that reports to the monitoring company. I'd hook it to a camera, nvr, or your alarm panel (set as a local monitor / chime zone). I'd use a wired device like the DSC LC-171 on the side of whatever building you're going to install the alarm panel in pointed towards the driveway or your other buildings.
Yeah, probably have an alarm and another system with a RPI with notifications of various things. I just got a magnetic sensor to play with for the gate. Wont get a chance to actually set it up for awhile, but ill see what I can do around the house. Maybe set up a garage door status, as someone been leaving the garage open lately over night...

I would not use SimpliSafe, nor would I recommend them to any of my family or friends. They designed their systems with no way to upgrade the firmware, and the technology is susceptible to a replay hack on the wireless arm/disarm commands. SimpliSafe brushed it off. There's a major, unfixable flaw in a security system used in over 200,000 homes
Nice to know!

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Little update.

Having no luck with DSL or cable out on the land. Apparently, we are on the edge of a boundry line of having those services ( 1-2 mi or so)! I found an internet provider that does wireless tower, the one with the antenna pointing to one another. Their a telephone company that can provide dial up, and thats about it....

Today, the magnetic sensor came in and the Dahua IPC -HFW4431R. I also took some pictures around the drive way ill post up so you guys have a better idea of what im talking about.

The Dahua I just ordered is being used at home, and so far I'm liking it! It is bigger than my old cam... BUT picture quality did come out better.

I'll post the pics a little later today.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

general idea of where the main area is.

View from shack to gate. (cant get it to save rotation)

Plan to mount a cam or two in the trees

To the right outside of gate.

tree to the right after the gate

larry1302

n3wb
Reaction score
Little update.

Having no luck with DSL or cable out on the land. Apparently, we are on the edge of a boundry line of having those services ( 1-2 mi or so)! I found an internet provider that does wireless tower, the one with the antenna pointing to one another. Their a telephone company that can provide dial up, and thats about it....

Today, the magnetic sensor came in and the Dahua IPC -HFW4431R. I also took some pictures around the drive way ill post up so you guys have a better idea of what im talking about.

The Dahua I just ordered is being used at home, and so far I'm liking it! It is bigger than my old cam... BUT picture quality did come out better.

I'll post the pics a little later today.

BMWproboi05: I feel your pain, remote location, no real internet. One solution, assuming cell service, I used in the past was a Spartan GOcam, sends pics over cell net, basically a wildlife game camera GoWireless - Manage your Wireless Camera
Batteries lasted 45-90 days depending on time of year and number of pics sent. Quick and dirty solution, put it up 8'+ and tie it to a tree with a Master Python cable lock.
I used one for 2 years until moved to an AT&T home phone and internet box which shares the data plan with my Iphones, had a couple canary cameras connected to them. You just have to keep an I on the data usage.
I did see where the Canary flex will soon have a Verizon option.
4G LTE Mount for Canary Flex | Verizon Wireless

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BMWproboi05: I feel your pain, remote location, no real internet. One solution, assuming cell service, I used in the past was a Spartan GOcam, sends pics over cell net, basically a wildlife game camera GoWireless - Manage your Wireless Camera
Batteries lasted 45-90 days depending on time of year and number of pics sent. Quick and dirty solution, put it up 8'+ and tie it to a tree with a Master Python cable lock.
I used one for 2 years until moved to an AT&T home phone and internet box which shares the data plan with my Iphones, had a couple canary cameras connected to them. You just have to keep an I on the data usage.
I did see where the Canary flex will soon have a Verizon option.
4G LTE Mount for Canary Flex | Verizon Wireless

Thanks man!
Is this internet box based on cell phone service? That canary may work as an option. I did try my sister-in-law's cell phone with Verizon and it had reliable signal and speed. I should have done a speed test, but didn't want to install anything on her phone. She was getting 4gLTE tho.

So an update the wireless internet people could not get a good reading on the property. They said maybe if I had a 20ft pole it MAY work, but most likely not. He told me that they were picking up good signal from a competitor and to try them. I called, and they said they do not service the area...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks man!
Is this internet box based on cell phone service? That canary may work as an option. I did try my sister-in-law's cell phone with Verizon and it had reliable signal and speed. I should have done a speed test, but didn't want to install anything on her phone. She was getting 4gLTE tho.

So an update the wireless internet people could not get a good reading on the property. They said maybe if I had a 20ft pole it MAY work, but most likely not. He told me that they were picking up good signal from a competitor and to try them. I called, and they said they do not service the area...
git ya something like this. Ubiquiti Networks - NanoBeam® AC

larry1302

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks man!

Yes, the device was a ZTE Z700A, like this : Amazon.com: AT&T - Wireless Home Phone & Internet - Model Z700A: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does this do? Boost cell phone reception?
If related to the wireless internet. The install guy tried a few different products and an additional amplifier but said he wouldn't recommend service be installed at the location.

That is similar to what I am looking at with Verizon, mainly the 4g LTE router modem.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What does this do? Boost cell phone reception?
If related to the wireless internet. The install guy tried a few different products and an additional amplifier but said he wouldn't recommend service be installed at the location.

That is similar to what I am looking at with Verizon, mainly the 4g LTE router modem.
Yeah if you could point it at their tower.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your assuming alot @hmjgriffon, they could be operating on any of a number frequencies.. For WISPS they provide the customer equipment, its not bring your own device.. Its there network, you idiots would just destroy it :p

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks man!

Personally I would avoid cellular game/wildlife cameras or the canary. It's unfortunate that your internet options are so limited, but that doesn't really change the recommendations and advice you were given earlier. It just means your ability to remotely view the video feed and recordings may be quite limited (making hiding / securing the nvr very important). It's typically much harder to remotely access a device on a cell network if you can do it at all, you should be able to do things like send snapshots in automated emails. Verizon MVNO's are probably cheaper but may have more restrictive rules about how you use the network.

In your photo above, it looks like there's a building that's more dwelling like that's closer to the gate. This would seem to be a more obvious location for an alarm panel and NVR.

You can get cellular monitoring for an alarm system on verizon's network starting around $15/month, but you wouldn't be able to use this connection for anything else. If you get something like an EVL-4 you could try to monitor an alarm system via a cellular connection you use for cameras but there are a lot more things that can go wrong and reduce the reliability of your alarm system's reporting.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am also wondering how I am going to trench for PVC conduit. I was thinking by hand till I realize how much I hate digging up plants.lol I may buy a tiller attachment for my trimmer, and make a few passes and remove dirt as I go... 400ft would be great, it just depends if I want the cam behind the gate or on the outside... I do not think a zoom is possible as their are a lot of trees in the way. Do not want to cut them down as its the only thing blocking us from the main road. Previous owner litteraly gutted all trees at the main road...
Petrol powered trencher is the only way you should try dig long trenches. Fast neat, accurate, and cheap to hire. Come in many sizes but a 600mm (24") depth walk behind is enough to lay conduit to the gate Ditch Witch | Trenchers.

IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology

I have one of em on the way, I expect it to do well at a distance..
420ppm (126ppf) at 22m (72ft) according to the math I did on them today.

I was going to suggest something like that but used in a different manner. Find a property owner in the nearby area with access to fast internet who is willing to sell you 20 or 30 square meters of dirt. Build a shed and tower and have the internet run to there then link it to your property by some ubiquiti gear. Alternatively offer to pay for their internet if they let you link in through it as well.

Daniel Saffioti built his own private radio network to get access to NBN

That's a story about a guy who did exactly that.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Personally I would avoid cellular game/wildlife cameras or the canary. It's unfortunate that your internet options are so limited, but that doesn't really change the recommendations and advice you were given earlier. It just means your ability to remotely view the video feed and recordings may be quite limited (making hiding / securing the nvr very important). It's typically much harder to remotely access a device on a cell network if you can do it at all, you should be able to do things like send snapshots in automated emails. Verizon MVNO's are probably cheaper but may have more restrictive rules about how you use the network.

In your photo above, it looks like there's a building that's more dwelling like that's closer to the gate. This would seem to be a more obvious location for an alarm panel and NVR.

You can get cellular monitoring for an alarm system on verizon's network starting around $15/month, but you wouldn't be able to use this connection for anything else. If you get something like an EVL-4 you could try to monitor an alarm system via a cellular connection you use for cameras but there are a lot more things that can go wrong and reduce the reliability of your alarm system's reporting.
I am still looking, but no go so far. I rather have soemthing than nothing at the moment. Last week someone tried to cut our chain again, luckily I upgraded to something less bolt cutter friendly. Will probably get a new pad lock soon also. I may give up on recording some things back home, and go for a sensor email alert, and check every now and then. Would be nice if I could make it email me a screenshot every 30 or so min. Would reduce the data needed greatly.

The house you are refering to is not that great in shape, and is going to be removed fairly soon.

Anyone have a reconmendation on a small NVR? Planning to have about 8 cams total by the end of the year.

The plan is to also have a CDMA Verizon based alarm soon. Debating if im going to piggy back the router or not at the moment. I will look into the EV-4 soon.

Petrol powered trencher is the only way you should try dig long trenches. Fast neat, accurate, and cheap to hire. Come in many sizes but a 600mm (24") depth walk behind is enough to lay conduit to the gate Ditch Witch | Trenchers.

420ppm (126ppf) at 22m (72ft) according to the math I did on them today.

I was going to suggest something like that but used in a different manner. Find a property owner in the nearby area with access to fast internet who is willing to sell you 20 or 30 square meters of dirt. Build a shed and tower and have the internet run to there then link it to your property by some ubiquiti gear. Alternatively offer to pay for their internet if they let you link in through it as well.

Daniel Saffioti built his own private radio network to get access to NBN

That's a story about a guy who did exactly that.
nearest neighbor is over 2 miles away, and I believe they are lower in elevation. Funny, the day I called the wireless company they went to the guys property down the street and determined he was a no go also.

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
As a stop-gap until you get your system up and running, a yard sign may be enough to get them to look elsewhere.
2 Home Security Alarm System Yard Signs & 12 Window Stickers - Stock # 713 | eBay
These signs are not worth much since they look generic. Try to find a local alarm company and get their sign. Usually, alarm companies will charge you for another sign so ask a neighbor to get you one.

1 ADT TARD SIGN W/STAKE AND 4 DOUBLE-SIDED STICKERS!!!
Since ADT is nationwide?

Also, at some you should just get higher property/theft insurance. You then would just want to have equipment to document the event for the police.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As a stop-gap until you get your system up and running, a yard sign may be enough to get them to look elsewhere.
2 Home Security Alarm System Yard Signs & 12 Window Stickers - Stock # 713 | eBay
Would that really work? or would they just know to look for the camera this time? I could probably ask my home alarm company for more signs.

Have any of you guys used this?
NVR104/108-P

I like the small form factor. Doesn't have much upgradeability to it, but its pretty steathy, and can probably be hidden under the floor crevis, or a large junction box? specs are at 7inches x 5 x 1

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.