Remote viewing of clips.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I knew not to touch anything, but I did and now I have issues. I had stated before that I'm using BI 3 and have had no issues for 6 years. Nothing, no crashes, no camera issues, etc. I posted a question about possibly upgrading to 5.0. I'm currently running Windows 8.1 with BI 3, I know it's an old combo, but as I said, I have had no issues and I didn't want to mess with a good thing. So while going through my camera settings and grabbing screen shots, I noticed some things that were off and I changed them. One was changing two of my Hikvision cameras to use H264+. I read that this compression can further reduce file size. I set the 2 cameras to H264+ and the streams still showed in Blue Iris. I figured it was all good. I then posted about a storage issue where my storage was showing in the red if I upped the limit storage size of my 4TB clips drive. I was told to repair the DB, delete clips, reboot, etc. I did all that and still in the red. Finally I realized I had a storage folder on the same drive with a Limit folder size of 2500Gb. I no longer use that folder, so I made it zero and changed the Limit folder size of my New folder on my clips drive to 3300Gb and it is no longer in the red. So finally, I can use most of my disk.

Since these changes, I have noticed that when remote viewing clips from the 2 cameras I set to H264+, the playback starts about 15 seconds into the clip. The progress bar jumps to about 15 seconds in and then begins to play smoothly, missing the trigger. I figured it was due to the H264+ setting, so I put both cameras back to H264, rebooted and figured it would be fine. It's not, the two cameras continue to skip playback. Attached are some screen captures of one of the cameras. All cameras are set to Direct to Disk. Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I knew not to touch anything, but I did and now I have issues. I had stated before that I'm using BI 3 and have had no issues for 6 years. Nothing, no crashes, no camera issues, etc. I posted a question about possibly upgrading to 5.0. I'm currently running Windows 8.1 with BI 3, I know it's an old combo, but as I said, I have had no issues and I didn't want to mess with a good thing. So while going through my camera settings and grabbing screen shots, I noticed some things that were off and I changed them. One was changing two of my Hikvision cameras to use H264+. I read that this compression can further reduce file size. I set the 2 cameras to H264+ and the streams still showed in Blue Iris. I figured it was all good. I then posted about a storage issue where my storage was showing in the red if I upped the limit storage size of my 4TB clips drive. I was told to repair the DB, delete clips, reboot, etc. I did all that and still in the red. Finally I realized I had a storage folder on the same drive with a Limit folder size of 2500Gb. I no longer use that folder, so I made it zero and changed the Limit folder size of my New folder on my clips drive to 3300Gb and it is no longer in the red. So finally, I can use most of my disk.

Since these changes, I have noticed that when remote viewing clips from the 2 cameras I set to H264+, the playback starts about 15 seconds into the clip. The progress bar jumps to about 15 seconds in and then begins to play smoothly, missing the trigger. I figured it was due to the H264+ setting, so I put both cameras back to H264, rebooted and figured it would be fine. It's not, the two cameras continue to skip playback. Attached are some screen captures of one of the cameras. All cameras are set to Direct to Disk. Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

Thanks,
Chris
Blue iris is not compatible with any smart codecs or + codecs. It would cause exactly this issue as + uses a dynamic iframe interval.
You may have also played with the iframe intervals and that is why you are missing video. Match the iframe intervals to the fps in the camera settings.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for answering. I have already checked that and they match. Maybe set the cam to defaults and set it up again?

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep, clips are now playing correctly, Thanks fenderman and bp2008. Appreciate the help.