Remote Viewing ?

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wunderin how you guys view your cameras over the net -Fixed IP ,DDNS or other methods I don't know about ?

Up till recently I've been using Tenvis cameras which send an email alert whenever my IP changes so I can log in using that and the port number but the Hikvision doesn't have that facility

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use DYNDNS. I have a paid subscription because I connect to multiple sites. If you're just talking a few, you can use their free account.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I personally just write down my IP and use it. My provider goes months between IP changes (at minimum), so I've not bothered with anything else. I recently had the first IP change in at least a year. dyndns seems good otherwise, but I imagine a simple script running on a home PC every 10 minutes and emailing if the IP changes would work, as long as you didn't have too many devices to change the address with.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have a dynamic IP address, but it seems at least loosely tied to my router's MAC address because when I get a new router it changes, and all I have to do to get my old IP back is clone the old MAC address. So I've had the same IP address for years now.

Even so, I still have a noip.com dynamic dns service and always access my cameras with that.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an install to do far away and it's got cable internet so I don't know how often it changes IP . My connection is down a phone line and the IP changes every few days. DynDns seem to have stopped the free account so I guess I'll install a cheap Tenvis camera along with a Hik to inform me of the new urls.
Interesting info about the MAC address on routers which may explain why I couldn't connect a new router to my ISP even though I cloned all the settings, I'll see if I can clone the MAC address to the new router

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use other free dynamic dns services like no-ip if you wish.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check out afraid.org for a good DynamicDNS, you can even have a personal domain on DynamicDNS.. for free.

freedns.afraid.org has been providing my DNS services for ~15 years, so happy with there services I pay for it. even tho I dont need to.