Remote Viewing

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your settings look ok...are you properly entering the external ip address followed by :81 in the external ip box in the phone app?
You can also try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if it helps
also in your router settings...select the blue iris port forward and click on edit service and post a screen shot of the contents..

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even if I can get the port forwarding to work I would really like to get the VPN to work and disconnect the port forwarding. I will have to test the port forwarding from my computer when I am at the office tomorrow, but so far it hasn't worked on my phone, but that might just be because I can't seem to get the correct files onto my phone, although I have copied the files that I downloaded using the Non-Window button from the VPN settings on the router. I am just not sure how to connect to the server. Is all that information stored in the files that were exported from the router setting?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
try setting for both tcp and udp and also try using a different port number like 8585 or something..

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried a different port and was still able to get connected on the network, but still can't get connected on the Internet.

I am still wondering about the VPN. I never set up a user name or password for the VPN when I set it up on the router, I think there is a step missing. in the process.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way, the OpenVPN app says that I need a .ovpn file, but the group of files that were exported from the router did not include a .opvn file.

here are the files it included:

ca.crt
client.crt
client.key
client2.conf

I think I was able to copy these files to my phone, but even when I turn off wifi on the phone I can't get connected.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried a different port and was still able to get connected on the network, but still can't get connected on the Internet.

I am still wondering about the VPN. I never set up a user name or password for the VPN when I set it up on the router, I think there is a step missing. in the process.
when you were testing, did you ensure that you were not connected to your wifi but rather your mobile network?

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I turned off wifi on my phone to try through LTE.

I am wondering if it is the iPhone. Everything on Netgear says that it is not compatible with iOS or Android devices.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a better option? I thought that was the only option because that is what is in the router set up.

Even reading through the support notes on the Netgear website they don't talk about a user name or password for the VPN sever or network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Meanie ..It is difficult to tell what wrong without being in front of the system. If you would like we can do a teamviewer session and see if there was something over looked...who is your internet service provider?

Last edited by a moderator:

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Meanie ..It is difficult to tell what wrong without being in front of the system. If you would like we can do a teamviewer session and see if there was something over looked...who is your internet service provider?
Ok, I believe the problem lies within the router and it's support, or lack thereof, of VPN on the smartphone. After contacting Netgear, who has been no help, the decision has been made to return the router which we purchased Dec. 30 and I purchased an Asus model which clearly indicates VPN smartphone, ease of use, blah blah blah. It'll arrive Thursday and we'll start anew to get the cameras functioning via remotely.

Also, a minor confession.....this recent conversation was taken over by my wife but using my alias, though it's me now. She's much more network literate and has a better understanding than I. I just want to ensure the expression of gratitude for your help wasn't omitted.

I'll keep you posted after we install the new router.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate when people use their time to help others when needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The asus vpn works great...i have it running on the N66u and android phone...

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Meanie

I own this same router but not using the stock firmware. I recommend checking out DD-WRT for it as it will give you more customization and perhaps the VPN stability you are looking for.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

It does have risks so make sure to read up if this is your first time using modded firmware but in my opinion it turns this router from a good one into a beast.