Reolink cameras are garbage and their reddit moderators are unprofessional trunk slammers

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
I want you all to take a look at this post right here. The complaint was about seeing ads in the reolink app which OP did not like. Afterall, who the fuck likes ads on free software let alone paid software?

Reolink is just an overall dumbed down product for dummies. That's why there are ads in it. Because only a DUMMY would put up with that shit. Notice how none of these shills can refute why this is happening, and instead shift the discussion to why this is not actually a bad thing. That is gaslighting. They throw you under the bus, and then tell all the bystanders to just move on theres nothing to see here.

The only appeal of Reolink to me was their doorbell cameras, which the way they work is also junk. Since they don't bother categorizing the notifications, there is no way to make a seperate notification sound for the doorbell to make it louder and last longer. The push notifications also aren't on time half of the time either, even when connected to the same LAN.

All in all, unless you need to do time lapse photography, use Unify instead.

ParisL

n3wb
Reaction score
I want you all to take a look at this post right here. The complaint was about seeing ads in the reolink app which OP did not like. Afterall, who the fuck likes ads on free software let alone paid software?

Reolink is just an overall dumbed down product for dummies. That's why there are ads in it. Because only a DUMMY would put up with that shit. Notice how none of these shills can refute why this is happening, and instead shift the discussion to why this is not actually a bad thing. That is gaslighting. They throw you under the bus, and then tell all the bystanders to just move on theres nothing to see here.

The only appeal of Reolink to me was their doorbell cameras, which the way they work is also junk. Since they don't bother categorizing the notifications, there is no way to make a seperate notification sound for the doorbell to make it louder and last longer. The push notifications also aren't on time half of the time either, even when connected to the same LAN.

Before I got "serious" about IP Cameras, Reolink was the first PoE/IP Camera brand that I purchased... This was a few years ago. They are the WORST. On their cameras, ONVIF either doesn't work or it barely works. Their cameras lag and drop connection like hell if you view them from anything but their own apps.

It's definitely geared towards people who are getting in the market for the first time, and don't really know better (like me). However, at least they are still better than Ring/Nest and all of that other garbage, provided that you stay within the Reolink ecosystem. So, if you're leaving Ring/Nest to go Reolink, it's an upgrade... Barely, but hey... an upgrade is an upgrade.

What I don't get, though, is how they have fanboys like that on their reddit :rofl:

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Funny
I installed 2
REOLINK 4K Wired WiFi Outdoor Camera, 8MP Dual Lens Security Camera, 360 PTZ w/Auto Tracking, 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi Smart Person/Vehicle Detection, 6X Hybrid Zoom, Color Night Vision, TrackMix WiFi
at my sons house
I cant speak for other models,but this model impressed me.

dual lens tracking and 4k night vision color or IR for $140

Also 2.4 or 5Ghz Radios option
clean pics good tracking interfaces to BI
I dont get adds on the reolink app for android.
And If enabled chrome sees it on port 80
Just installed one in my garage for testing. So far so good.
It will detect people cars pets, i can filter the recording on the Sd card by these types
it will FTP to my NAS ( Testing soon ) works fine
Will see long term performance.
But its a good value to me

if you watch it on Amazon it gets discounted
they also have a POE model Im looking at

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny
I installed 2
REOLINK 4K Wired WiFi Outdoor Camera, 8MP Dual Lens Security Camera, 360 PTZ w/Auto Tracking, 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi Smart Person/Vehicle Detection, 6X Hybrid Zoom, Color Night Vision, TrackMix WiFi
at my sons house

dual lens tracking and 4k night vision or IR for $140

It will detect people cars pets, i can filter the recording on the Sd card by these types
it will FTP to my NAS ( Testing soon )

Please provide sample video of objects moving at night.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

For future reference
1713301949688.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny
I installed 2
at my sons house

dual lens tracking and 4k night vision or IR for $140

it will FTP to my NAS ( Testing soon )

FYI - Reolink camera discussed, for reference

1713302054354.png

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Images are in total darkness. That's why I'm moving so slow. I had to feel my way along my garage wall.
I could get a small flashlight on floor to get faster motion if needed.
Let me know
Greg

Attachments

Clucky

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny
I installed 2
at my sons house

dual lens tracking and 4k night vision color or IR for $140

it will FTP to my NAS ( Testing soon ) works fine

Install them close to the ground that way when it rain you can constantly wipe the lens clean so that the auto focus doesn't go insane

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Install them close to the ground that way when it rain you can constantly wipe the lens clean so that the auto focus doesn't go insane
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
I'm thinking of moving it by the pool and deck for further testing

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indoor the IR can be reflected by the walls, make the pic very sharp, test at outdoor will get different results. Different efficiency on IR for indoor/outdoor
Noted
I'm moving it outside today if the rain holds off. I will report on performance after.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agree - indoors has a lot of IR bounce that can help a camera out. It will be interesting to see how it performs outdoors.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
hmm, looks like the smart IR not work, too wash out when you come nearby.
Pic is not as sharp as your original testing indoor even the deterrence light is on The tracking is bit poor, looks like not know where to track. This mianly the hardware limit, need a faster motor.

So can be a indoor camera only.

1713407860920.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
WiFi?

Reolink is no different from UniFi Protect; locked into one system with no versatility whatsoever