Reolink CX410

9th Power

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Reolink has a new full color camera called CX410. Does anyone have any experience with this camera to know if it's any good or worth buying? I'm looking to buy a high quality 2k or 4k color night vision camera with analytics. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While it is on the proper MP/sensor ratio (4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor) with a large f1.0 aperture, at $95 it would be a steal if it worked like other full color cameras.

Sadly, it appears to suffer from the same issues of reolink, which is poor night quality and ghosting, etc. And look how washed out the camera on the right is when the lights kick on.

1685367607118.png

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Reolink has a new full color camera called CX410. Does anyone have any experience with this camera to know if it's any good or worth buying? I'm looking to buy a high quality 2k or 4k color night vision camera with analytics. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
What is the MINIMUM distance the cam must be able to work at?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pick the camera for the distance you want to cover from this thread:

Here are my general distance and camera recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These particular cameras are generally accepted by many here as the best balance of performance day and night, price, and features. With all the cameras I have used and tested over the years, these are the ones I also currently use.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera.
  • 4K/X bullet or 4K/X turret - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera. The turret versions have a mic and the 4K/X bullet has two-way audio. These cameras need light and cannot see infrared.
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night. This camera has two-way audio.
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages. This camera has a mic.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera.
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer). This camera has a mic.
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
  • Indoors, the IP2M-841 is a cheap common camera choice. Works with Dahua NVR and Blue Iris. Has wifi and ability to use POE with this adapter. Has two-way talk and basic autotracking.

You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Damn....even the new CX410? What is your recommendation for security camera with color night vision and perimeter detection?
I asked about minimum distance because it could have limited you. But if your targets never come closer than 35 ft, all standard dahua cameras will be able to focus. But this isn't your problem then.

35ft is already pretty far away for color night vision. Because whatever you want to identify needs to be pretty bright in order for your camera to capture it at this distance. And as we talk about visible light, the person will surely be aware that it is standing in relatively bright light or in some searchlight beam. So the question is, how are you going to illuminate at 35 ft distance? I would guess this would be the far end of the driveway? If you don't mind the neighbors or your electricity bill, member CanCuba has the setup to turn night into day. Here you can see what to expect with plenty of light:

Unless the place you try to observe is well lit, I have only limited hopes for your plans of color night vision at 35 ft distance. If you inspect the reolink clip closely, it wasn't even fully dark at the time.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. At 35 feet you need a varifocal and infrared.

Full color cameras are not magic and need visible light and they cannot see infrared so you can't add it later.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I searched for the CX410, I only found data on sensor size and f-stop. I didn't find the focal length.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I searched for the CX410, I only found data on sensor size and f-stop. I didn't find the focal length.
Yeah i couldn't find it either, but given its size and price I think we can conclude it is 3.6mm or smaller.

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd love to see a more detailed review of this cam here from someone who has tried it.

The screen grabs above are from this Reddit thread:

Here's another Reddit thread:

Both are very positive on the cam. The second one in particular focuses on the motion blur issue, with this example:

The nighttime color image without the spots looks pretty good to me, and the spots apparently add some clarity.

Another thing I'm interested in is two-way audio and the scheduled, customizable siren--a nice deterrent feature if it works anything like my Reolink doorbell cam.

This page Reolink CX410 - 2K F1.0 ColorX Full Color Night Vision PoE Security Camera says f=4mm and field of view is 89 degrees horizontal.

Just ordered one for $80 after 20% off at Amazon. We'll see.

Daijoubu

n3wb
Reaction score
Btw this CX410 uses the same sensor as the Dahua 54xx series, Omnivision OS04A10, so bad SoC/ISP/processing?

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW I and the customer have been very pleased with this cam, deployed in a church courtyard. Great nighttime color images. (There's pretty good lighting so it's not just relying on the camera's LEDs.) The speaker is tiny and hard to hear but I scheduled a custom "grounds are closed--please exit the property" message that plays when motion is detected between certain nighttime hours, which may be just annoying enough to be deterrent. Hard to beat for ~ $80.