Reolink RLC-423 question.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In your opinion is a turret better than a dome? I am more worried about quality of the video than I am about vandals.

Reaction score
Yes, turrets are better than either domes or bullets. The latest turrets from Dahua have better IR coverage than either a dome or bullet, where the IR leds surround the camera lens. Also, they are less attractive to spiders, moths, etc. Not completely, but definitely less attractive.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Ipvm.com/calculator and keep pixels/foot over 100 for good facial pics. 2.8 is useless for ID unless the person comes right up to the camera. They make a good overview camera to tell you the WHAT but often need to be used with other cams that provide the ID (the WHO). If you're covering a car in your driveway, I consider 6mm a minimum. The Dahua varifocals are nice because you can tune them for each location instead of wasting money on a bunch of 2.8mm cams. You think they're great because you see a lot but then cry after someone does something on your property and you've got a garbage face shot. That's when you realize you've wasted your money on 2.8s unless you just want to show the insurance company "Look, there it goes!" instead of showing the cops a useful face pic to get your stuff back and throw the jerk in jail.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, in my one situation, I need a semi wide view but if they came though the gate they would have to walk right by the camera, no choice. So, 4mm would be a definite better choice than 2.8mm. Thanks.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Practice walking past the cam at night and make sure faces aren't blown out. Common problem with too wide of an angle lens when you want the closeup face shot and it is absorbing most of the light from the cam's built-in IR.