Reolink RLC-520 Unable to change to Static IP Address...

pochrist

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry this may get lengthy but it's a silly issue...

Have been using RLC-420 units for about 3 years with no problem. However as they are no longer available I have purchased a RLC-520. The problem is that when I log into it via a browser I cannot change the Network setting from DHCP to Static, I changed the IP Address to a valid open ip address and once I have completed the changes I click save and the message pops up and says "Failed"

unnamed.jpg
Note image above with DHCP and an IP Address of 10.0.1.35

unnamed (1).jpg

Note image above when trying to change to a Static IP Address of 10.0.3.39

• I can only create a Static if I use the same DHCP assigned IP Address of 10.0.1.35 (absurd)
  • I have confirmed Multiple Times that the IP Address of 10.0.3.39 is valid and not in use. (and I also tried 10.0.3.45)
  • I already know that the IP Address Scheme is valid and ranges 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.3.254
  • I have at least 30+ RLC 420 units using IP Address specifically in the 10.0.3.xxx portion of my network
I know that I am using a a rather large range allowing me 2,000 available IP Address, but do to my facility and my preference to assign my camera's to a specific portion of my network.

I have already reached to Reolink support and while they have respond it is clear they have very little understanding of Networking as this was the latest response to the same questions above being posed to them:

"Thank you for your reply!

As before, Please notice that if you want to set the static IP address for the camera, the IP address for the first three-part needs to be the same. You can only change the last part of the IP address.

Like 10.0.1.XX instead of 10.0.3.XX.
Could you please try again? Thank you so much
! "

I have tried through Google Chrome, FireFox and MS Edge (I also tried the old version of Internet explorer and the same result) I also tried Firefox in "Inprivate" mode.

I have very little confidence in getting a easy fix, I suspect the problem is built into the firmware itself. Somewhere between The RLC-420 and the RLC-520 line they seen have dumbed down the network support.

Anybody run into this issue?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
then try an old version of their software and if it still fails live with it or send it back :)

you will find better help on reddit because no one likes reolink here

pochrist

n3wb
Reaction score
How would I do that? The "software" is present as an OS in the camera itself, there is no option to downgrade. How does sending it back resolve the problem. I like the products they are a decent budget solution. But not pushing a vendor to properly support their product hurts the current and previous customer... Apple Ring a Bell

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
i am talking about their windows software ;) .. but you need an old version because reolink likes to remove features .. also you can run a firmware update

because reolink likes their app it might be possible that you can change it via app

pochrist

n3wb
Reaction score
Your talking about the Windows App. I did install it but found it be clunky and found no real way to interface with the individual camera other then putting in the password for each camera just so it would display in the App. I may have missed but I found no way to change IP setting via the App... for me it seemed more like a viewer.

I just set it the way I always do I plug it in to the Network and run an IP scan on all devices to find it.

The only way I have ever interfaced with any of the Units i have is via browser, I tried it from multiple computers wirelessly and hardwired running various builds of Windows 10 Pro.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Thatswhy you have to install a old version.

and app means ios/android app, not windows software.

you will find everything somewhere in their wiki/download page/website and appstore on mobile.

reolink is one of the shitties cams you can buy, ... they are made for the stupid so they go full app and remove features

pochrist

n3wb
Reaction score
You mean this right?

Annotation 2021-09-11 194408.jpg

Yup that is the software I tried,

I maintain a rather large network and I'm old school, so I don't whip out my phone and look for cheesy app to do real work.

Reolink may not be the best of the best but they do fine with me (till something like this pops up) and "shitties " is personal choice... like Apple, Beats, etc.

So now that we have covered these topics, I'm still just an waiting for a response with somebody else having a similar issue. I find it hard to believe I am so special to be the only one...

glenwood

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed in your second PIC, the gateway is not the same third octet as your static IP. Could that be it? Did you try 10.0.3.1 for the gateway?

I've had a couple Reolinks and never had a problem setting a static IP.

If I try to set my Amcrest/Dahua cam gateway third octet to something different than in the IP, I get this error and it won't save:

2021-09-11_171818.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find not many here have the same issue because not many here still use Reolinks....

But please do share some night video examples of people in motion with these cameras to show that these cameras work properly at night.

We have yet to see that in the Reolink thread...

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem is that customers who can set up reolink seems unable to set up basic networks
for me this sounds like a huge mess.

VLANs is your friend. who is using any camera in a big network and have dhcp enabled ? Even if you decide to go full YOLO and set up a superscope windows network, you need basic network security.

didnt see the gateway ip in first place... but seems that the dhcp is complete misconfigured. why does it handle a gateway from another (sub)network. even in a superscope network each scope should get a unique gateway.
sure it should be theoretical possible to do, but the question is WHY.

Last edited:

pochrist

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed in your second PIC, the gateway is not the same third octet as your static IP. Could that be it? Did you try 10.0.3.1 for the gateway?

I've had a couple Reolinks and never had a problem setting a static IP.

If I try to set my Amcrest/Dahua cam gateway third octet to something different than in the IP, I get this error and it won't save:

View attachment 101407

" noticed in your second PIC, the gateway is not the same third octet as your static IP. Could that be it? Did you try 10.0.3.1 for the gateway?"

Yes, just to test your theory and is results in "failed" message

You will also notice in the 1st pic that the same condition exists: DHCP assigned the same gateway of 10.0.0.1 becasue its is valid, and I as i mentioned in the OP I have 30+ RLC-420 units already using the exact same network portion,

I literately have an RLC-420 with an IP Address of 10.0.3.38 and a gateway of 10.0.0.1.

I also have multiple Ubiquity Access points using IP Address ranges of 10.0.2.x -10.0.2.xxx, as well and IP Phones all using the same gateway 10.0.0.1.

I have only had a similar issue when configuring a D link router that was unable to reserve the whole range of 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.3.254 (it would only accept 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254).

So it clear the issue is not with my network configuration.

MrE12345

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, didnt Reolink explain it clear? The IP adress is now 10.0.1.35 - and you can only change the last number - ie 10.0.1.xx.
Try to change the IP to 10.0.1.85, and I'll bet it works. This is Reolink, cheap, but still good enough for many (have got 2 myself)

But why change set the IP to Static on the camera? Cant you just set it to DHCP, and set it to Static on your network configuration (router)?

pochrist

n3wb
Reaction score
While I did explain it up in a further post I'll explain it again. I'm in charge of a very large sprawling network and in order for me to keep track of the equipment efficiently it makes more sense for me to statically address my devices than relying on DHCP and then having the search through a table for the IP address fot a device. If I were using this on a smaller network and the 192.168.1.X IP address scheme that would be more feasible. But to be honest with you I still for my own personal use statically assign my devices once they're set up so I can keep track of any odd activity on my network. But outside of my planning idiosyncrasies, irregardless of the value or lack thereof of Reolink, I tend to expect repeatability with the things that I purchase. As I've said already that I have 30 plus RLC-420 units which have never exhibited these symptoms so why should I expect the next generation to be dumber than the previous one?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
They are not getting dumber, they make their cameras for people who are dumb. So they tend to remove any confusing features, confusing webinterfaces etc and make everything into one app, which is easy to use for the most. This will give you less possibilites, but these features are not needed by their typical customers. Many New Gen People dont use computers anymore. They are just able to scan a barcode when the app tell them. So all in all its more genuis what they do. They have to develop less, support less,... etc but sell more. Also this is what Apple does/do. They just remove everything and just let you click on one button. So smart... wow.

But in your case its not reolink fault. Its your own. No one set up a network with combined subnets and one gateway for all.
I didnt even think about that before you started this thread...

Again. No one can support your reolink stuff here. On Reddit you may be able to find someone.

Shap

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I read through the thread, and have a question - why not set up a DHCP server with static IP assignments?
You will achieve exactly the same result and it will be actually more easy if you decide to move the camera into another subnet later.

I have all my cameras with DHCP but am assigned a static IP using my DHCP server for each MAC.
Work fine, same security level but much more easy to manage.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@Shap

He is using something like a /22 subnet instead of a /24 net...

To my knowledge there are no "consumer" device based dhcp servers who can do that. Windows Superscope might be an answer.... but each scope will have an unique gateway

He didnt say what exacly his network setup is, but for me it sounds like a real mess which somehow work,... but i dont think out of the box.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what everyone would like----> "irregardless of the value or lack thereof of Reolink, I tend to expect repeatability with the things that I purchase."
It's like the $18.99 Hamilton Beach personal blender on Amazon. they changed the shape of the next model so that Old Cup doesnt fit the newer generation.
Expectations are premeditated resentments.