(Reolink RLN16-410) Am I able to have multiple camera streams coming into 1 ethernet port?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm planning out how to set up my system. I have five cameras all POE, IDEALLY I would like to not have to run 5 cables to the outside of my house to their respective positions but rather one cable, into a switch, then from that switch into all the cameras, since all the cameras will be close to one area. ASSUMING the switch provides adequate POE to each of the cameras am I capable of running them all into 1 port into the back of the NVR? Like this!

1699758564214.png

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The answer is maybe.

It's going to depend on the specs of the NVR and what ports you're plugging into.
If you're plugging into a Poe port on the NVR it probably won't work.
If you're plugging into the Lan side port it will probably work.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should re-think the brand, but if you run a POE switch like that, then the Switch needs to go to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and not one of the camera ports. And you cannot exceed the total camera number of the NVR either.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should re-think the brand, but if you run a POE switch like that, then the Switch needs to go to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and not one of the camera ports.

It's for my uncles house who's not very tech savvy. I'm well aware of reolink and their reputation, this is all I have to work with, however. So basically I'll need to run the switch to the router then as well if that's the case, yeah? Or I could just run the switch to the router with all the cameras connected to the switch, then run the router to the NVR right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you would put a switch in front of the NVR that connects the POE Switch, NVR, and internet to it.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you would put a switch in front of the NVR that connects the POE Switch, NVR, and internet to it.

And the reolink would just pick up any cameras coming in through the WAN / LAN port automatically? It did that when I connected the cameras to the camera ports.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No you would have to manually add them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the cameras are coming from the LAN side .. remember to appropriately set their ip addresses. For Dahua oem nvrs you would do a manual add camera operation .. whereas if you plug into the poe ports you get dhcp addresses from the nvr .. of course sometimes the initial configuration takes some configuration.. often plug and play if getting a kit ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to all the above ^^^
Just to clarify, assign unique static IP's to all cameras and the NVR's LAN, all in the subnet, such as 192.168.1.XXX.
Use a PC with a unique static IP, also in the same subnet, to perform the above configurations.

No router required for the above but if there is one that is to provide Internet access (another issue to be addressed separately), use IP's that are outside of the router's DHCP pool of IP addresses.

EDIT 11/12/23 0714 CT: something like this:

STATIC-IP-CAMS-NVR.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
WHat happens if he connects all the cameras at the same time on Reolink? Do they DHCP over Wan port?