Reommend an outdoor wireless dome cam

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, new guy here :) I'm looking for a dome shaped outdoor wireless ip cam that'll work with Blue Iris. This is for residential use. Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are some wireless dome cameras available...however note that wireless should be a last resort...instead of paying a premium for wireless consider running ethernet to the location...though it might seem hard for you, you can often have a professional run it for 100-150...this way you have a permanent run there with zero wifi issues and can use any camera any time..
If that is not feasible consider running powerline adapters - you will have to power the camera anyway..
Finally if you want wifi consider Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IWS (though it has weak night vision) or the Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS
The model must state IWS...the 2132 is only available via aliexperss i believe...nellys has the 2532iws
Dahua also just released a whole bunch of wifi cameras...http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/wi-fi-series-499.html
I dont know if they have hit the market yet though...they are basically wifi versions of their popular cameras...
Finally remember (if powerline doesnt work in your application) ANY IP camera can be made wifi by using one of these mini routers as a wifi bridge
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tp+link+mini+router&sprefix=tp+link+mini+,aps,147&rh=i:aps,k:tp+link+mini+router

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Speaking of powerline adapters... Does anyone make a powerline with POE?

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read a few threads in the forum and apparently wifi cams will congest my network, does running ethernet avoid this issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads in the forum and apparently wifi cams will congest my network, does running ethernet avoid this issue?
They can congest the wifi bandwidth...depends on many factors...ethernet will help because its almost impossible to congest even a 10/100 network with home cams and certainly a gigabit network..If you want a reliable system wire it up..

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman for the quick reply! Ethernet seems to the way to go then! I have existing foscam wifi cams with does not have PoE, is there any device that can make then PoE?

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
my existing foscam cams aren't poe, thus will need the injector, is there a length limit? how short of distance?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This information does not apply to the "poe" connectors linked to above...it applies only to active 802.3 poe devices...
The distance you can run these cheap adapters is depends various factors...i woundnt use it for more than 15 feet or so..
You can buy a poe splitter like this that will let you using a true 802.3 injector/switch on one end and the splitter on the other end to power a 5v or 12v camera..this will go the 300f
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-POE10R-Gigabit-Splitter-compliant/dp/B003CFATQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424371606&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+splitter

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh yes.. you are correct.

This
is what I have and it works perfectly with Cisco Meraki AP and 7M/20FT cat6 cable.

For some reason, fenderman's linked POE system does not have 48VOLT what is normal for POE systems?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes.. you are correct.

This
is what I have and it works perfectly with Cisco Meraki AP and 7M/20FT cat6 cable.

For some reason, fenderman's linked POE system does not have 48VOLT what is normal for POE systems?
The adpaters you lined to are not true poe..and will not work at long distances unless you do the proper voltage calculations and use a different power supply than the one that arrived with the device. It works for you because it you have a short 20f run..
The link i provided was for a poe splitter...its designed for non poe devices that run on 12v or 5v...but it accepts true poe from a 48v 802.3 poe injector or switch then it outputs to 5v or 12v depending on your device, it must do so because the device itself will not accept poe.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi fenderman, so I will need one poe splitter for each of my non-poe cams, I reckon I will also need a male/female power connector to power each cam or is it included in the box?

I think I will also need to get a new poe switch!