Replacement for Blue Iris

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using Blue Iris for 6+ months now. It has it's good points, but one VERY BAD one. It uses some kind of indexing scheme to mark when videos start and end within an 8-hour video. But, the indexing scheme is not without issues. I have a dedicated computer with a single local hard drive where everything is stored. I also have 7 Hikvision cameras. I use all of the default settings, except for defining motion areas. The indexing is constantly getting corrupted. This has happened on 2 different computers, multiple times on each computer. The computer it's currently installed on is dedicated - with nothing else other than the OS (Windows 10/64-bit).

Customer support told me to "repair" the database, which I did. Now, almost all of the videos recorded AFTER repairing the database are gone. The still-image clips are there, but no videos can be viewed.

I've had-it with Blue Iris!

So, I'm looking for a recommendation for a replacement.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like some memory/virus/etc. problem on your computer. Are the videos still on your hard drive? BI wouldn't delete them unless you had the Clip age or folder size limit eclipsed...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can look at sighthound ,milestone, exacq..
You issue is not a blue iris issue or we would all be having the same problem... Why do you think the data base is corrupt?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seems like a standalone DVR would suit you better. Default settings usually don't fit and need to be configured for the circumstances.

Do you still have the database in the video "New" folder?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using BI's combine&cut feature, and it sounds like Bert has too.

I have also experience various 'fits' of BI apparently just losing indexing information that is not
recovered by database rebuilds. I would agree with @bertsirkin that there's something going on there,
but have been unable to isolate it to any specific setting or events causing the problem, so have not
been able to report anything actionable to BI support. Not giving up on it yet, tho...

perhaps that feature (combine/cut) is not well ironed out?
Do most folks disable that (and just keep seperate files for every trigger/clip`?

@anijet, re: 'Do you still have the database in the video "New" folder?'
Is this known to be a problem? where should it be? thanx.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW, there are no viruses or memory issues.

It's not just me either - I've seen other posts with the same problem (e.g., http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=10786.0). BI seems to work OK for a while and then the DB gets corrupted. They use an odd indexing scheme - often videos contain segments of other videos. The indexing just doesn't seem very reliable.

Has anyone changed the default setting of combining 8 hours of videos into one file to storing files individually? I think storing the videos individually would make much more sense, but I'm not sure what kind of performance issues that may cause.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@anijet, re: 'Do you still have the database in the video "New" folder?'
Is this known to be a problem? where should it be? thanx.
Not that I know of. My point was to bertsirkin's default comment, yet in another thread he mentions having the database in the same folder as new videos. Each time I set up BI it defaults to different folders.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not that I know of. My point was to bertsirkin's default comment, yet in another thread he mentions having the database in the same folder as new videos. Each time I set up BI it defaults to different folders.
I have the database and folders in the default locations:
Capture.PNG

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's not just me either - I've seen other posts with the same problem (e.g., http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=10786.0). BI seems to work OK for a while and then the DB gets corrupted. They use an odd indexing scheme - often videos contain segments of other videos. The indexing just doesn't seem very reliable.

Has anyone changed the default setting of combining 8 hours of videos into one file to storing files individually? I think storing the videos individually would make much more sense, but I'm not sure what kind of performance issues that may cause.
FWIW Dean's problem in the other site is quite different than yours.

I have tried "combine or cut" but found it not useful. It just made things harder to manage.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the default setting of combining 8 hours of videos into one file to storing files individually?
I do not use the combine and cut feature. Each clip is it's own file on my system. I haven't noticed any problems with it to date. And for the record, I have over 16,000 files just for BI over a near 2 week period.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on your system load; individual files are easier to deal with but with very large numbers it can slow things down. My system only has 74,000 clips dating back to Sept 2014 (about 700 GB worth) because not a lot happens in my yard. Things run smoothly still. It helps having the clip database on a solid state drive I am sure, which I do.