replacement Hikvision pigtail

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an older 3MP Hikvision that a squirrel seemed to like the taste of. It is a DS-2CD3332-I turret camera. Well, the squirrel ate the pigtail within a couple of inches of the camera and I have tried replacing the connector several times (and a neighbor with better eyes). I can see it power up, but it isn't reachable. I have tried using the hikvision tools to scan the network for it, no luck.

I have seen several pigtails on ebay for about $10, has anyone had any luck with them? They look like a different connector than what my camera has.

Any suggestions? It is a decent camera, I have 5 more installed and could use this in an area that is not well covered.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I looked around. Just not sure what the right one is ;-)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Can’t you just get a multimeter and meter out which colours were connected where then ignore the colours on the new pigtail and solder like for like direct onto the main board in the cam. Can’t see why that wouldn’t work.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ignore the colours on the new pigtail and solder like for like direct onto the main board in the cam. Can’t see why that wouldn’t work.
With respect, that is not practical. The solder pads are neither accessible for wires, nor suitable for connecting wires to them.
It's a simple matter just to swap the new wires into the existing connector off the damaged cable.

I have seen several pigtails on ebay for about $10, has anyone had any luck with them? They look like a different connector than what my camera has.
It's easy enough to replace the whole pigtail, and ends up with a neat job. I've done a few of those, on 'spares and repairs' items I've bought on eBay.
These typically come with the ZH JST terminal pins already on the wires.
For proper PoE compatibilty you need to buy an '11 pin cable' as opposed to the much more common '9 pin cable'
Here is an example :

For that older camera, Hikvision use the non-latching ZH style of JST connector.
For those, it's quite easy to extract the wires of the damaged cable from the connector by inserting a thin pin along the wire in to the connector, and gently lifting the plastic spring locking tab that keeps the terminal pin in place, so that the wire then pulls gently out.
The new wire with terminal pin simply clicks into place.

Rich (BB code):
This is a cross-reference from the T568B RJ45 pinouts to the Hikvision connectors.
Note - on the later (G1) cameras, Hikvision have swapped pins 4 and 5 (Grey and Purple).

T568B                Hik cable           
1    orange/white1    orange 
2    orange            2    yellow           
3    green/white   3    green           
4    blue                 4    grey           
5    blue/white      5    purple           
6    green               6    blue           
7    brown/white   7    brown           
8    brown              8    white           
11    12v outer       
12    12v inner

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With respect, that is not practical. The solder pads are neither accessible for wires, nor suitable for connecting wires to them.
It's a simple matter just to swap the new wires into the existing connector off the damaged cable.

It's easy enough to replace the whole pigtail, and ends up with a neat job. I've done a few of those, on 'spares and repairs' items I've bought on eBay.
These typically come with the ZH JST terminal pins already on the wires.
For proper PoE compatibilty you need to buy an '11 pin cable' as opposed to the much more common '9 pin cable'
Here is an example :

For that older camera, Hikvision use the non-latching ZH style of JST connector.
For those, it's quite easy to extract the wires of the damaged cable from the connector by inserting a thin pin along the wire in to the connector, and gently lifting the plastic spring locking tab that keeps the terminal pin in place, so that the wire then pulls gently out.
The new wire with terminal pin simply clicks into place.

Rich (BB code):
This is a cross-reference from the T568B RJ45 pinouts to the Hikvision connectors.
Note - on the later (G1) cameras, Hikvision have swapped pins 4 and 5 (Grey and Purple).

T568B                Hik cable         
1    orange/white1    orange
2    orange            2    yellow         
3    green/white   3    green         
4    blue                 4    grey         
5    blue/white      5    purple         
6    green               6    blue         
7    brown/white   7    brown         
8    brown              8    white         
11    12v outer     
12    12v inner
Thank you, I thought the 11 pin version was correct based on what I saw inside the camera. I will look at that cable and will get one ordered. I just hope my old eyes are good enough to see everything ;-)

There are both an 11 pin and a 11 pin with poe. Which would you recommend?

1595339167179.png

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just got a similar cable from ebay. 11 wires. I assumed 8 wires for rj45 plug, 2 wires for 12v power and the last for the led on plug.It didn't come with pinout chart so I used multimeter to check each one.
Pin 2 and pin 5 aren't connect to anything. The camera i'm using it on has a bad poe board so i will be using the 12v plug to power it.
Are pins 2 and 5 needed?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are pins 2 and 5 needed?
Assuming you are referring to the usual RJ45 pin mumbers -

1,2,3 6 are the 10/100Mbps data and one mode of PoE connections.
Pin 2 is certainly needed.

4,5,7,8 are used for another PoE mode.
Usually 4,5 and 7,8 are connected together.

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Assuming you are referring to the usual RJ45 pin numbers -
Yes I am.
I'll have to retest my findings. The other thing I thought was unusual was that the Thick red and black wires were attached to the 12v plug,which i expected but the thinner red and black were also connected to the 12v plug.Not to the rj45 plug.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thick red and black wires were attached to the 12v plug,which i expected but the thinner red and black were also connected to the 12v plug.Not to the rj45 plug.
That's normal - one set is for the camera, one set is for the IR LEDs.
edit When the cable is used for many brands other than Hikvision, where the IR LEDs are powered off the main board.
12V doesn't go anywhere near the RJ45 plug, that's for data and PoE.

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I am.
I'll have to retest my findings. The other thing I thought was unusual was that the Thick red and black wires were attached to the 12v plug,which i expected but the thinner red and black were also connected to the 12v plug.Not to the rj45 plug.
Retested,I'm an idiot. I had pin order backwards.I measured pin 1 as 8 and 8 as 1. So I do have pins 1,2,3,6. So i should be good right?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I do have pins 1,2,3,6. So i should be good right?
That will cover 10/100Mbps data and one mode of PoE.
So no 4,5 and 7,8?
The 11-pin cable should ideally have those also, maybe with 4&5 conected and 7&8 connected.
But it should be OK.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, that's good to go then.

Try not to bend the plastic tabs too much on the connector at the camera side when removing the old wires.
Even if not - it helps to just push them down a tad so that they will engage OK with the locking tabs when you push the new pins in.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got a similar cable from ebay. 11 wires. I assumed 8 wires for rj45 plug, 2 wires for 12v power and the last for the led on plug.It didn't come with pinout chart so I used multimeter to check each one.
Pin 2 and pin 5 aren't connect to anything. The camera i'm using it on has a bad poe board so i will be using the 12v plug to power it.
Are pins 2 and 5 needed?
Which cable did you get and is everything working now?

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tested the cable on camera on the bench,and it works.
I dont have the thick black or red wires connected. Is there a place for these? Or just leave them disconnected.
Also is there a place to connect the wire from the LED light on plug on the hikvision?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Tested the cable on camera on the bench,and it works.
Well done! A good result.

I dont have the thick black or red wires connected. Is there a place for these?
No, these are for when 12v power is needed for IR LEDs.
You don't need them for this camera, so they need to be sealed off such that they don't short to anything.
Heat-shrink sleeving is a simple and reliable way to do that. Or figure out an alternative safe method.

Also is there a place to connect the wire from the LED light on plug on the hikvision?
No, Hikvision don't provide an LED drive for network activity, so again this wire should be sealed off.

Before you seal up the case, either replace the dessicant pack with a new one, or reactivate the existing one by baking it in an oven for about an hour at around 120DegC .