Replacement NVR

jenn727

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Group,

I have 16ch POE Hikvision DS-7716N1-SP that I don't like much. I can't get the newest firmware to load and I can't get it to connect to the HikConnect website for my users to view it remotely. That being said I would like to replace the NVR with a different model or better yet from a different maker. For another project, I had to purchase a small 4 ch PEO REOLINK NVR and 3 Reolink cameras and I just love that software and the Reolink iPhone app. If I could find an NVR and supported software like that it would be awesome. I know that Reolink will not work with my Hikvision cameras, but that was just an example.

I have 16 POE Hik cameras (I don't remember the model, about 4-5 years old) and the DS-7716N1 with dual 4TB hard drives. I want to keep the cameras and purchase a new NVR and can purchase new drives because of their age.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much
Jim P

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Group,

I have 16ch POE Hikvision DS-7716N1-SP that I don't like much. I can't get the newest firmware to load and I can't get it to connect to the HikConnect website for my users to view it remotely. That being said I would like to replace the NVR with a different model or better yet from a different maker. For another project, I had to purchase a small 4 ch PEO REOLINK NVR and 3 Reolink cameras and I just love that software and the Reolink iPhone app. If I could find an NVR and supported software like that it would be awesome. I know that Reolink will not work with my Hikvision cameras, but that was just an example.

I have 16 POE Hik cameras (I don't remember the model, about 4-5 years old) and the DS-7716N1 with dual 4TB hard drives. I want to keep the cameras and purchase a new NVR and can purchase new drives because of their age.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much
Jim P
Hi @jenn727

Most of us do not like Reolink for numerous reasons. ( you can search the forum for the numerous reasons why Reolink is a failure to many of us on the most critical points.. )

Many members prefer Blue Iris VMS running on a PC.

You can often use both a NVR and a Blue Iris system in a security camera system setup.

I'd recommend seeing if you like Blue Iris and going that route if it works for you.

Reaction score
Realize that if you have Hik cameras, it would be prudent to either stick with Hik for the NVR or use a software solution like Blue Iris. Mixing proprietary NVRs and other brand cams can be problematic. Often it is impossible to get the NVR to recognize the cams, adjust settings, and use the brand specific advanced options.

jenn727

n3wb
Reaction score
Realize that if you have Hik cameras, it would be prudent to either stick with Hik for the NVR or use a software solution like Blue Iris. Mixing proprietary NVRs and other brand cams can be problematic. Often it is impossible to get the NVR to recognize the cams, adjust settings, and use the brand specific advanced options.
Thank you for the info...I will check Hik for newer NVR models.

jenn727

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @jenn727

Most of us do not like Reolink for numerous reasons. ( you can search the forum for the numerous reasons why Reolink is a failure to many of us on the most critical points.. )

Many members prefer Blue Iris VMS running on a PC.

You can often use both a NVR and a Blue Iris system in a security camera system setup.

I'd recommend seeing if you like Blue Iris and going that route if it works for you.
I played with BI years ago and was a real resource hog so I moved on to other solutions. Thanks for your reply.