Replacement NVR16 channel

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’d like to introduce myself Henry and looking for a replacement NVR. At his moment the home I purchased has a turret IP cams 4 Dahua 2mp and 5 hikvision ranging from 4-8mp cams. The previous owner took down his NVR but was nice enough to leave the cameras behind. Camera’s are approximately 1-2 years old with updated cat 7 cable. I have an older Flir 16 channel NVR516S but somewhat outdated and in search for a new 16 channel. After reading cliff notes it seems that Dahua is the way to go. I was looking at the lite series NVR4116HS-4KS2 or (HIK) DS-7716NI-K2 to go with. I’m sure this topic has been mentioned one too many times but I’m stuck between Dahua & Hikvsion NVR replacements. Thank you all for taking a few minutes out of your way to respond. Have a blessed day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the record a dedicated pc is out of the question as blue iris would be ideal with the mixture of IP cams. Home currently has a small server rack in garage 28 Poe netgear switch, dedicated UPS system, patch panel and empty location for NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For the record a dedicated pc is out of the question as blue iris would be ideal with the mixture of IP cams. Home currently has a small server rack in garage 28 Poe netgear switch, dedicated UPS system, patch panel and empty location for NVR.
Maybe it's just me - but that makes no sense from what you've described..
Why not BI on a dedicated PC?

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me - but that makes no sense from what you've described..
Why not BI on a dedicated PC?
With the new move in I have exhausted my funds for a dedicated PC. For the time being a NVR will suffice until I get sufficient $$$ for mini PC.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Send @EMPIRETECANDY and email and ask for a list of Refurbished NVR, you could get an expensive unit for half the cost of new. IF you do not want refurbished just ask him for the price of a new one. He usually has good pricing either way. Also ask him if the cameras you have will work with the suggested NVR. Usually you want to keep the cameras and NVR the same brand if you want all the features to work with the cameras. Good luck!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last thing you want to do is purchase a cheap NVR that is underpowered for 4 2MP cameras and 5 cameras ranging from 4-8MP. Read the tech specs carefully. It will need a lot of bandwidth and the ability to stream all those at that resolution.

I was there and once I learned from this site that not all NVRs are created the same and looked at those aspects, to purchase an NVR to run my cams, a computer and BI was cheaper...

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Dahua Nvr5216-4KS2 and just received it today in the mail. Already transferring my WD 6TB hard drive. This unit is way different from my old FLIR recorder. Will be going with the basic features static ip, motion, etc...

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These features are better but already getting tricky when it displays "Resources are not sufficient. Failed to enable the video". Back to research this!