Replacing Logitech Alert questions (new to this)

Reaction score
Hello - We installed the Logitech Alert system years ago - now the cameras are gradually dying one by one. We have one set up on a power pole outside probably 20 feet from the house. This was a good setup for us as we had power on the pole that the power adapter plugged in to / then a short ethernet wire from that power adapter to the camera...(no cables running from the pole to our house at all). Another camera is plugged into an outlet in the garage then the ethernet cable runs through a small hole in the siding of our garage to the cam. Other cameras are located in the house without any special wiring needed at all.

We are/were using Blue Iris in addition to the Alert Command software to monitor the cameras and storage of footage was saved on a pc devoted just to record camera activity. I'm ok with this setup but we are willing to upgrade to a nvr or other methods if its not too complicated to get started.

Thank you in advance for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello - We installed the Logitech Alert system years ago - now the cameras are gradually dying one by one. We have one set up on a power pole outside probably 20 feet from the house. This was a good setup for us as we had power on the pole that the power adapter plugged in to / then a short ethernet wire from that power adapter to the camera...(no cables running from the pole to our house at all). Another camera is plugged into an outlet in the garage then the ethernet cable runs through a small hole in the siding of our garage to the cam. Other cameras are located in the house without any special wiring needed at all.

We are/were using Blue Iris in addition to the Alert Command software to monitor the cameras and storage of footage was saved on a pc devoted just to record camera activity. I'm ok with this setup but we are willing to upgrade to a nvr or other methods if its not too complicated to get started.

Thank you in advance for your help.
A standalone NVR would be a downgrade from blue iris.
Want a trouble free setup that just works?
Have a professional run an ethernet cable (name brand solid copper not CCA or copper clad aluminium) to each camera location.
Install fixed or varifocal dahua starlight turrets (100-170) see WIKI/cliffnotes above.
If your current pc is old and outdated (likely) update it for 100-200 dollars to a modern third to 6th generation i5 desktop. Also see wiki.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response - so if i understand correctly, we would install the ethernet cable to each camera as you suggested then each camera is connected to a poe switch (as described in the cliffnotes) which is connected to our router?
If that is correct then there is the issue of these cables running throughout the house...we only have a partial attic. And to be honest we are mostly DIYers.... so spouse not please with having to hire a pro to run those cables.

Thanks for clarifying that NVR is not what we want....we definitely want to continue using Blue Iris & not a problem to update our pc....

Any other ways to do this without ? Thanks again in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response - so if i understand correctly, we would install the ethernet cable to each camera as you suggested then each camera is connected to a poe switch (as described in the cliffnotes) which is connected to our router?
If that is correct then there is the issue of these cables running throughout the house...we only have a partial attic. And to be honest we are mostly DIYers.... so spouse not please with having to hire a pro to run those cables.

Thanks for clarifying that NVR is not what we want....we definitely want to continue using Blue Iris & not a problem to update our pc....

Any other ways to do this without ? Thanks again in advance.
There are alternatives that are subpar like using powerline adapters, by the time you factor the cost of these your are wat better off paying somebody to run cable, considering that they won't last forever while the cable does, and they are not as reliable as cables

Reaction score
ok i'm looking at Dahua model IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras - would you please confirm that the installation would be = cam to PoE switch - then to router - then to pc. Appreciate your advise and assistance with this!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok i'm looking at Dahua model IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras - would you please confirm that the installation would be = cam to PoE switch - then to router - then to pc. Appreciate your advise and assistance with this!
That will work, but ideally if you can attach the PC to the same switch as the cameras or another switch cascading from it, so that nothing passes through the router.