Reset Camera password thru NVR?

Elaine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to figure out how I can reset the password on my LTS cameras model CMIP3022-28. I can get to the camera login thru the virtual host feature of the NVR.

I see that there are tools to reset the password but they require the cameras to be connected directly to the network. Is there any way to reset camera passwords while they are connected to the NVR?

Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You have lost the camera password? And none of the usual (old) defaults work? 12345 123456789abc

Is there any way to reset camera passwords while they are connected to the NVR?
You could temporarily connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port to gain direct access to the camera web GUI.
You'd need to change the PC IP address to be in the same range as that used by the NVR PoE interface.
If it's a Hikvision re-brand, it may be 192.168.254.x

As a long shot - if the camera is a Hikvision re-brand with older compatible firmware, and the 'Hikvision backdoor', you could see if this trick works -
Use this URL in the browser, replacing the IP address with the full address : port as shown when you hover over the Virtual Host link in Camera Configuration,
for example 192.168.1.nn:650xx where xx=channel number, nn=last part of NVR IP address

http://<NVR_IP_address:650xx>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

In the unlikely event, but you never know, that it pulls out a configuration file, zip it up and attach it here and I can decrypt and decode it for you and extract the existing password.

Elaine

n3wb
Reaction score
You have lost the camera password? And none of the usual (old) defaults work? 12345 123456789abc
I've tried every default password I could find. I even contacted the vendor and got their default password. And I tried my NVR password which I set myself. None of them work.

You could temporarily connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port to gain direct access to the camera web GUI.
You'd need to change the PC IP address to be in the same range as that used by the NVR PoE interface.
If it's a Hikvision re-brand, it may be 192.168.254.x
This is what I am going to have to do I guess. Just have to find the right time. I have full access to the NVR so its not super critical that I get the camera passwords. It just bothers me that I don't know what they are.
As a long shot - if the camera is a Hikvision re-brand with older compatible firmware, and the 'Hikvision backdoor', you could see if this trick works -
Use this URL in the browser, replacing the IP address with the full address : port as shown when you hover over the Virtual Host link in Camera Configuration,
for example 192.168.1.nn:650xx where xx=channel number, nn=last part of NVR IP address

http://<NVR_IP_address:650xx>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

In the unlikely event, but you never know, that it pulls out a configuration file, zip it up and attach it here and I can decrypt and decode it for you and extract the existing password.
I tried this and it still brings up a login popup. I guess that means the backdoor is closed (which is good).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have full access to the NVR so its not super critical that I get the camera passwords. It just bothers me that I don't know what they are.
The older Hikvision NVR firmware used to embed plaintext passwords in the 'export IPC configuration' file that you could do in the NVR web GUI maintenance menu. But I think that was fixed a while back.

Again, I don't know if this works on that NVR - but in the VGA/HDMI interface of the more recent Hikvision NVR firmware there is a tickbox to 'Show IPC password' which will expose what the NVR has been configured with to command the camera. That's assuming it's a working password.

I tried this and it still brings up a login popup. I guess that means the backdoor is closed (which is good).
Shame - it's always fun to extract a password through the backdoor.

Elaine

n3wb
Reaction score
OK I went to the NVR today and there was an option to show the camera passwords. Problem solved!

And it turns out it was an old NVR password I had set before. I never set the individual camera passwords so I must have checked the box for changing the camera passwords with the NVR password.