reset Hikvision NVR password

bodlet2001

n3wb
Reaction score
I am really struggling to reset the password on my NVR, having forgotten what it was set to when installed.

I have searched the forums, however I am unsure what way to go about it and would like some advice if possible.

The serial number for the NVR is DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A0420150410AARR511400005WCVU with the very latest firmware.

thanks in advance

Paul

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
with the very latest firmware
What is the actual version of the firmware?
3.4.90 is the latest at the time of writing and has a self-service password reset facility via the web GUI - but on install, you would have needed to create answers to 3 'security questions'. Possibly also exporting the 'GUID' password reset key file.
If you're not sure if you did - maybe try the 'Forgot password' link on the web GUI logon screen.

Also - on the VGA/HDMI interface, you may have created the mouse-driven 'unlock code' as an alternative / addition to the admin password entry method.
Worth checking that also. If you get in that way, you can change the admin password.

And if all else fails - if the specific model still supports it - tftp updating with the same version of firmware as already installed (SADP will confirm the version if you are not sure) will clear the configuration back to an 'unactivated' state where you must create an initial password.

bodlet2001

n3wb
Reaction score
good evening
thanks for the responses,

I have tried the Hikvision password reset tool, it did work for one of my cameras but not the NVR

first of all the firmware is V3.4.90 build 161008 (I may of assumed incorrectly that this is the latest !!)
after the firmware update I was not asked for a password
GUI - don't know what that is
GUID - don't know what that is
Also - on the VGA/HDMI interface, you may have created the mouse-driven 'unlock code' as an alternative / addition to the admin password entry method.
Worth checking that also. If you get in that way, you can change the admin password.
not sure what this is!

and the last bit I am unsure what tftp is!

So all in all I am not that up on ip camera and its equipment.
I am however willing to learn and try to sort this with guidance

Any advice ?
regards Paul

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
after the firmware update I was not asked for a password
No, what I was referring to was the new 'self-service password reset feature' which you may have noticed on the login page and made use of.
GUI - don't know what that is
Graphical User Interface - what you get when you point your browser at the camera or NVR.

alastairstevenson said:
not sure what this is!

It's an alternative to using a password on the HDMI/VGA interface - join the dots up in a specific way to validate your login.
If you don't recognise it - you won't have set it up.
GUID - don't know what that is
That's a 'key file' that can be exported and saved, then later imported as a way to do a password reset.
and the last bit I am unsure what tftp is!
It's the network file transfer protocol that's used to transmit firmware updates to the NVR over the network.
having forgotten what it was set to when installed.
It sounds like you need to hope the creative subconscious does a good job helping you to retrieve what you've forgotten.
Failing all these things - and assuming your NVR was sourced through an 'authorised channel', it may be that your next step should be to use the 'lost password' feature of SADP where the exported file is sent to Hikvision tech support, they send you one back which you then import. Unless they decide from checking the serial number that they won't help - which is pretty common, it seems.

Just for future interest - this is the VGA/HDMI 'join the dots' login method:
PB090008.jpg

Last edited:

bodlet2001

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair,
Thank you for your response, one thought would be that I may have only had this password issue since installing and using EZVIZ. would it be possible that this application would have any effect on the password of the NVR?

Paul