Residential Setup - input?

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Front door area camera debate... will be mounted on wall as ceiling is not any option.

Frontdoor.gif

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The porch is a well lit area so IR isn't 100% necessary. Porch lights are on a timer which can be modified to ensure lighting is always available.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out the Max Aperture specs and compare them; the 4300F-PT for example has a mere F1.2; and the IR cameras have F1.8...

That narrow aperture dont allow much light in; and while all the other specs remain close the low light performance with F1.2 has been less than impressive.. Go check out the video I recently posted of the 4300 PT @ Night and see how very good night lighting works with the more narrow aperture.. it requires longer exposure times and this results in blurry night video or really dark video with quicker exposure time, you get to pick one and not both.. the 4300S bullet on the back of the house with nearly identical specs but @ F1.8 does great blur free motion video @ night even with the IR off (it has same lighting as front)

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Took too long figuring out my setup.. came home today to discover a package from UPS was taken from our front porch in a 3 hour window of me coming home. DAMMIT!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That sux...If your issue is that bed, just buy the cameras and be done with it. Dont spend to much time analyzing it. For the front door, dont get a wide lens...get the 3.6mm so you get a clear shot...If you cannot decide just get a 2532 camera locally ad an sd card and put it at the front door for now...

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's terrible. New property and already getting hit? Ouch.

I guess, as with most packages, no signature was required.

You may have to consider a package drop box. As a camera does not prevent mail & packages from walking away.

Maybe as in another mail theft the thief opened the package nearby and just dumped it, if it was something he couldn't use, swap or sell.

Have a chat with the neighbors? Is the house visible from the street? From a neighbor's house, so there's a chance somebody might have noticed something.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya bummer.. Still need to reach another neighbor. House is fully visible from street and neighbors across can see if they were home. One older woman poor eyes and others work during the day. I want to leave another fake pkg on the porch to see if I can bait to determine if some local kid.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great idea not to wait for a real package.

I started out with a big box store $100 foscam PTZ behind the window, to get something going in the daytime, while I was studying up on ipcams. But you're farther along in your research than I was at the time, and you could probably be up and running in a few days with at least one camera.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plan to get these and still looking at which dahua dvr

3.6mm IPC-HDW4300C (front door / porch)
3.6mm IPC-HDW4300S (Garage fascia view of driveway / frontyard)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua Cameras come with free software SmartPSS and PC-NVR that can be used to view/save recordings while your getting a NVR setup and everything all installed.. just grab a big hdd and save them to that until you get the dedicated NVR.

I am extremely tempted to cut a hole in my external wall and put a drop box into the entry way closet; with online/mailorder not going anywhere it seems worth the permanent modifications required.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered the following 2 cams
3.6mm IPC-HDW4300S (Garage fascia view of driveway / front yard)

Looking for a POE managed switch .. found this one ZyXEL Fanless 8 Port GbE 70w PoE+ L2 Web Managed Switch(GS1900-8HP)

So until I get a NVR I can do the following...
- Mount the cams
- Run network cable to cams
- Connect cams to a POE switch
- Connect POE switch to my home router
- Setup & configure cams
- Setup & run SMARTPSS to capture video/pics from cams

Last edited by a moderator:

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
What suppliers would you suggest in Canada for dahua NVR's? Searching the web i have found the NVR5416 without a internal POE switch, but no one seems to carry it. I have found a supplier for the NVR5816, but I believe this is overkill

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your troubles.. WTF is wrong with people. Hopefully the cams will help catch the little sh*%!

Why the C for the front door and the S for the front yard? Mic on the C?

I am just figuring this out but wouldn't both of them have an identical field of view?
3.6mm 72.5 degree FOV for the C and S according to the specs.

Do you mind sharing where you purchased them from? I am in a similar boat to you in terms of trying to figure out what to do with an nvr from dahua or hikview or build my own with blue iris or just use the included software. Keep us up to date on your progress because its helping me!

thanks!

jim

Ordered the following 2 cams
3.6mm IPC-HDW4300S (Garage fascia view of driveway / front yard)

Looking for a POE managed switch .. found this one ZyXEL Fanless 8 Port GbE 70w PoE+ L2 Web Managed Switch(GS1900-8HP)

So until I get a NVR I can do the following...
- Mount the cams
- Run network cable to cams
- Connect cams to a POE switch
- Connect POE switch to my home router
- Setup & configure cams
- Setup & run SMARTPSS to capture video/pics from cams

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update

Purchased the following:
- TP-LINK TL-SF1008P (Run 4 cams for now until I'm ready to invest in a bigger switch)
- 3.6mm IPC-HDW4300C (front door / porch) - Got this for the mic but obviously as others have said it is poor... still tweaking with settings on the cam
- 3.6mm IPC-HDW4300S (Garage fascia view of driveway / front yard)

Install update:
- Installed SmartPSS on a laptop & desktop to play with.. ultimately will be my temp NVR until I invest in a Dahua NVR4408 or NVR4416
- Installed App on iPhone to monitor cams while installing (still looking for the "best" app for cams on iPhones)
- Temp install 4300C above porch (need to tweak height and angle to capture most of porch)
- Temp install of 4300S right below soffit
- Still looking for a better way to hide the 4300s from plain view besides painting it same color as exterior house
- Install location gives me a good visual of cars, driveway, sidewalk, and street

Researching
- Configuration guide on the Dahua cams since there is a ton of settings within them...
- Configuration guide on SmartPSS
- Installation guide for mounting on wall & hiding huge POE convertor box on the 4300S.. this box doesn't exist on the 4300c so you can hide it in the factory mount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. I just got five 4300sn domes that do not have the poe on the cable. They are the eco domes and have 2014 firmware.