Resolution vs Frame Rate

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for guidance for selection of 4MP (2688 x 1520 @ 20 fps) vs 2MP (1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps) operation for an indoor mini-dome. Will it be easier to grab a clearer picture of a moving face at 30 fps or will the higher resolution at 20 fps be better.

Any practical guidance? The camera has a 4mm focal length.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking for guidance for selection of 4MP (2688 x 1520 @ 20 fps) vs 2MP (1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps) operation for an indoor mini-dome. Will it be easier to grab a clearer picture of a moving face at 30 fps or will the higher resolution at 20 fps be better.

Any practical guidance? The camera has a 4mm focal length.

Thanks.
None, you dont need either...10-15 is WAY more than enough.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have battled with this myself. i really like the smooth looking 30 fps, and to me 1080p looks good enough, so i run all my cams at 1080p even if they support a higher resolution. however, i would love to hear from some pros on this forum on this topic. why would someone choose to run a lower frame rate? is the only advantage to conserve storage space? any other reasons???

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trax have you tried running at 15 or 10fps? Go do a few tests for yourself. At the beginning of my time here I also thought "movies are at 24 fps, 10 fps looks too choppy for gifs online" etc and stuck with 30. The hardware had problems keeping up with the high bitrate I was also using. Once i moved everything to 15 fps I can barely notice a difference in motion.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rob, if you want to record video at night, larger sensors and smaller megapixels will generally have greater night performance than higher megapixels and smaller sensors.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trax have you tried running at 15 or 10fps? Go do a few tests for yourself. At the beginning of my time here I also thought "movies are at 24 fps, 10 fps looks too choppy for gifs online" etc and stuck with 30. The hardware had problems keeping up with the high bitrate I was also using. Once i moved everything to 15 fps I can barely notice a difference in motion.
I run my sub streams at 15fps to conserve bandwidth for remote viewing. It looks so choppy to me. But I guess that's only by comparison cause in used to the 30. Are you saying that the 30fps puts a strain on the hardware? (Cams,NVR) does it suck up all the resoursces? I guess I could try lowering all my cams to 20fps and start getting used to it... but I would be curious what I'm gaining by doing that

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found running max bitrate at 30 fps caused my cameras to randomly choke, particularly when a lot of motion was happening on camera.

This thread was about what would get you a better picture of a face. Running at a higher bitrate and lower FPS would get a better picture :p

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I don't mean to get off topic, I just want to absorb as much info as possible for learning purposes. And I think I did learn something. I occasionally will have a camera "hang" for a second or two... I will try lowering my fps on all my cams and keep an eye on it! Thanks!

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The last thing you want is the camera choking right as the perp is walking by!

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rob, if you want to record video at night, larger sensors and smaller megapixels will generally have greater night performance than higher megapixels and smaller sensors.
Right, but I cannot change the image sensor in my camera. Your advice is great if I was shopping for cameras, but the question was related to configuration considerations (resolution vs frame rate). Please correct me if I misunderstood your point. Thanks!

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh I thought you were looking at 2 different cameras. Operating the same camera in either 4 or 2 won't give different dark performance. Ignore me!

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh I thought you were looking at 2 different cameras. Operating the same camera in either 4 or 2 won't give different dark performance. Ignore me!
No problem. I could have been clearer.