Retail Business needing 36 cameras

Reaction score
Retail Store with 4 ft isles 11 foot ceilings and would like to find some cameras that are
Dome CCTV Cameras that the camera lens cannot be easily seen, but if there are some that work better, they don't necessarily have to be too dark. Basically I want to be able to see my clothes from both sides of the Isle and the shopper at the same time looking down at the isle. Also need some bullet cameras to shoot vertical from the ceiling to the cashier counting the money and another bullet camera to see the overall view to look at the shopper and purchases from the shopper at the counter. Also I have a question, Do I run CAT6 for each camera and how I assume that they go into a switch and how does it hook to the back of the computer.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how high are the ceilings? if not too high fisheye cameras work great for watching isles of products, gives you complete coverage, if you can see the dome it can see you; it but the ultra wide angle does poorly at night and at any great distances.. so you may want to hang em from conduit about 8-10ft or so up if your celings are high and have a bit of overlap between one and the next.. You'll get no blind spots with that kind of setup and can watch every movement if spaced correctly

cat6 from camera to poe switch, and cat6 from nvr/pc to poe switch.. just put em all on same network.

If your using fisheye cameras best to use a hardware NVR w/dewarping.. so you can record the entire fisheye scene and playback a dewarped virtual PTZ view when reviewing footage.. most PC NVR software cant do dewarping of fisheye

here is a demo video from our friends @Nellys

Last edited:

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Retail Store with 4 ft isles 11 foot ceilings and would like to find some cameras that are
Dome CCTV Cameras that the camera lens cannot be easily seen, but if there are some that work better, they don't necessarily have to be too dark. Basically I want to be able to see my clothes from both sides of the Isle and the shopper at the same time looking down at the isle. Also need some bullet cameras to shoot vertical from the ceiling to the cashier counting the money and another bullet camera to see the overall view to look at the shopper and purchases from the shopper at the counter. Also I have a question, Do I run CAT6 for each camera and how I assume that they go into a switch and how does it hook to the back of the computer.
Hikvision makes a 32 cam Network Video Recorder. 16 direct POE (power over ethernet) connections on the back and then use a poe switch for the other 16 but that is still a few ports short. Are you sure you need that many cameras? I don't recomend computers for recorders. Have a nice day.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Well I guess I have over three hundred bad installs. Funny though my customers sure like me and tell me their systems work better than anybody else's. And I wouldn't know anything since I've only done this since1990. My customers just want perfect video, ease of operation and a decent price.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I guess I have over three hundred bad installs. Funny though my customers sure like me and tell me their systems work better than anybody else's. And I wouldn't know anything since I've only done this since1990. My customers just want perfect video, ease of operation and a decent price.
Relax. I didnt say it was bad. Saying computers are not recommended is just plain stupid. Have you heard of avigilon, exacq, milestone etc?
Speaking of ease of use, pc based NVR setups are often much easier to customise and use. 300 installs since 1990 is a joke. Your customers comments are useless since they have never likely used a good pc based vms system. I personally stopped installing standalone NVR's because of their very limited capability and generally horrendous mobile apps. Hikvision in particular that you mention is a joke when it comes to their NVR and mobile app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fuck You Asshole!
Very nice. I dont think you understand how this forum works. Do you know the meaning of an admin? You will not come here and act like a complete idiot in your first few posts. Your attitude is repulsive. I suggest you learn more about the industry that you claim to be in so that you can provide your customers with the right options for their application.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Cancel my account you Fucking Moron.
You SUCK and I'll see bet you are gay.
And go fuck you're self.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cancel my account you Fucking Moron.
You SUCK and I'll see bet you are gay.
And go fuck you're self.
What a child and a bigot. You will be banned and reported to spam filtering services.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well then while i don't always agree with fenderman this time i do go for you fenderman

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @theflyingnun. Ignore the crap the dss posted...browse around the forum and put your post into NVR's, DVR's & Computers where you will get some additional input from other members. I don't know much about computer based systems but @nayr and @fenderman pull a lot of weight on the forum and know what they are talking about. As for the dummy dss, he has trouble with basic grammar so I wouldn't give his comments much weight.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol, this thread is great.

@fenderman - you are correct in that PC based setups are better - but they are usually more expensive. Licenses (camera and client), software agreements, etc. For a house or business using 4, 8 or 16 cameras, 95% of the time a PC based has no advantage to an integrator.

@theflyingnun - remember that ceiling mounted cameras, fisheye's etc only give you the top of someone's head (great for observing theft) but you will also want to make sure you capture faces. I would recommend an NVR setup since you don't seem too technical and most NVRs are plug and play. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need assistance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, this thread is great.

@fenderman - you are correct in that PC based setups are better - but they are usually more expensive. Licenses (camera and client), software agreements, etc. For a house or business using 4, 8 or 16 cameras, 95% of the time a PC based has no advantage to an integrator.
Cost is about the same or negligible difference....particularly when you are 8 cams and under....there is never an advantage to the integrator...the advantage is to the end user.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that Blue Iris was the way to go since there were not any license agreements for cameras. Am I missing something?
Its better than any standalone nvr..the problem is for 36 cameras you will need a very beefy server..and run at 1080p max per camera.

Reaction score
What do you mean at 1080 max per camera? Also, what do you think of using tvi with a dvr?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
to scale 36 cams its not going to handle a bunch of high resolution cameras; in order to do more with less your often reducing bitrates/resolutions.

TVI is a waste of time/money unless you already have a very expensive analogue infrastructure already in place.. anyone laying down brand new TVI from scratch should be taken out back and shot

Reaction score
The thing that I am wary of is that won't ip cameras eat a lot of my bandwith up? Since I am using alot of bandwith already because my credit card machines eat up a lot of the internet already.
Also one quick question with Blue Iris. If someone steals a purse in my store and I am trying to locate the person who stole it via the computer Blue Iris software, can I place all the camera images of the store that pertain to the theft in question on the computer screen and search simultaneously to all cameras at the same time at speeds of 1x and 2x and 3x and 4x etc....?
Does Blue Iris

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IP Cameras have nothing to do with your internet bandwidth; any decent local network can guarantee full port speed between all ports at same time.. so a 48 port GigE switch is capable of something like 96000MB/s.. IP Cameras scale out much in the same way the internet does; to infinity for all practical purposes.

Last edited: