Retrospective motion detection.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is a question that I asked a couple of years ago so apologies for the repeat. I have had my Hikvision CCTV system on the farm for about 4 years now and I have what I would have thought was a simple question. I have asked my supplier for help but they do not respond. My set up is a Hikvision NVR with a 3TB drive, 2 Hikvision 4mm dome cameras and a Hikvision PTZ camera. A cracking setup which does it's job well.

My question is about motion detection. I know that you draw the areas on the screen where you want the system to trigger a warning when anything moves in that area but is it possible to draw an area on a screen when reviewing previous footage ? I will try and explain myself a little better. Suppose I go back say one week and am looking at a recording of my farm yard. Is it possible to draw a shape/area on the screen that will stop the rolling video when something enters that area ? At the moment, when I want to look for something, I am just rolling through the footage at 16x speed and stopping it whenever I see something that I think I should investigate further. I know that at 16x it only takes approximately 4 minutes to look at an hour’s video but I just wondered if a motion detect area could be programmed retrospectively as it were.

My pc is a Windows 8.1 64bit. Is there any utility that I can download to my pc that would enable me to do the above by drawing a line/rectangle/circle on my screen that would stop the video when anything crossed the marked area ? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this question.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never heard of a way to do what you are asking. Sounds like you are recording 24x7 which is good. But there must be a way to have the NVR mark 'motion detection' on the timeline so that when you go back and review, you can go directly to the detected motion.

I don't use a NVR so I can't help precisely but there has to be a way to have the motion that was detected marked so you can see and skip to it directly. If not, you need a better NVR or just dump the NVR and use Blue Iris.

Reaction score
I've never heard of a way to do what you are asking. Sounds like you are recording 24x7 which is good. But there must be a way to have the NVR mark 'motion detection' on the timeline so that when you go back and review, you can go directly to the detected motion.

I don't use a NVR so I can't help precisely but there has to be a way to have the motion that was detected marked so you can see and skip to it directly. If not, you need a better NVR or just dump the NVR and use Blue Iris.
Thank you for that biggen. Yes, I am recording 24/7 and I have played with the motion detection on my system but that just sets up an area where, if motion is detected, then I can see it easily. But the problem is that if I want to cover all aspects of my premises then I have to install more cameras, each with a detection area marked. But with farm premises things can happen away from the hard surfaces, on the grass for example and I can't have cameras to cover every bit of that. My current PTZ covers the whole of the area and it would be so useful to be able to draw an area, by a certain machine for example, if it transpires that a part has gone missing etc. At the moment all I can do is wade through days and days of footage at 16x and I would have thought there should be a better way than that. But thanks again for your input.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that you draw the areas on the screen where you want the system to trigger a warning when anything moves in that area but is it possible to draw an area on a screen when reviewing previous footage ?
Depending on the NVR model and the firmware version, it should be possible to see pre-configured motion detection marking on the continuous playback timeline which can help in skipping to those time of interest.
Check out these posts :

Also the VGA/HDMI interface provides a similar capability, with the V4.x firmware allegedly able to select based on run-time defined smart events definition, though I can't vouch for how well that works.

Reaction score
Depending on the NVR model and the firmware version, it should be possible to see pre-configured motion detection marking on the continuous playback timeline which can help in skipping to those time of interest.
Check out these posts :

Also the VGA/HDMI interface provides a similar capability, with the V4.x firmware allegedly able to select based on run-time defined smart events definition, though I can't vouch for how well that works.
Thank you Alastair, I'll have a read of those posts.