Returning a GW-2050IP. Anyone have experience with GW products.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought this 5MP cam (GW-2050IP ) for about $120 just to test it out and see if it was compatible with my Q-See NVR (QC8816).
I only got to bench test it inside because moisture kept getting inside the lens cover...(before I took it off) :(
It comes with it's own software for configuring the cam. My NVR software couldn't change any config on the cam.
I'm sure my being new to this is a lot of the problem but it seemed way to much configuring just to get it to work with my system....
I wished it had been easier to set because the video was great and the manual adjustments for the lens worked ok.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or any GW cams ?
Is this cam a rebranded model?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought this 5MP cam (GW-2050IP ) for about $120 just to test it out and see if it was compatible with my Q-See NVR (QC8816).
I only got to bench test it inside because moisture kept getting inside the lens cover...(before I took it off) :(
It comes with it's own software for configuring the cam. My NVR software couldn't change any config on the cam.
I'm sure my being new to this is a lot of the problem but it seemed way to much configuring just to get it to work with my system....
I wished it had been easier to set because the video was great and the manual adjustments for the lens worked ok.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or any GW cams ?
Is this cam a rebranded model?
Send it back...just buy dahua, its tried and true..there is nothing that camera offers that you cannot have in a similarly priced dahua...dont fall for the 5mp rating...

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah it will be back in it's little box back to CA first thing Monday morning. I am looking for a Dahua with a varifocal lens. I am looking for a high mp but will the high mp sacrifice night vision or low light conditions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it will be back in it's little box back to CA first thing Monday morning. I am looking for a Dahua with a varifocal lens. I am looking for a high mp but will the high mp sacrifice night vision or low light conditions?
In the past high mp did sacrifice low light....the new hikvision 4mp have reversed the trend......the new dahua 4mp is up in the air..
Understand the the mp increase in not linear...a 5mp is NOT 2.5 times clearer than a 2mp camera...dont fall for the MP or spec game...you simply cannot compare specs and assume one camera will give you a better picture.
Here are 3mp MOTORIZED varifocals from dahua
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/dahua-ipc-hfw2300r-z-3mp-2-8-12mm-motorized-auto-focus-zoom-weatherproof-ip-camera-bullet.html
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/dahua-ipc-hdbw2300r-z-3mp-2-8-12mm-motorized-auto-focus-zoom-weatherproof-ip-camera-dome.html
You can probably find them cheaper via ali with no warranty or support.
If you dont need varifocal, you can certainly find the 4mp dahuas for about 100 on ali. Just order the lens size you need.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's the learning curve I'm stuck in right now trying to find out what all the specs mean and if they are important and why. Thank you for the info on the mp ratings.
With this Q-see NVR I think I'll stick with the Dahua cams for compatibility and I'll check what Nelly and Ali have to offer. ☺

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the past high mp did sacrifice low light....the new hikvision 4mp have reversed the trend......the new dahua 4mp is up in the air..
Understand the the mp increase in not linear...a 5mp is NOT 2.5 times clearer than a 2mp camera...dont fall for the MP or spec game...you simply cannot compare specs and assume one camera will give you a better picture.
Here are 3mp MOTORIZED varifocals from dahua
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/dahua-ipc-hfw2300r-z-3mp-2-8-12mm-motorized-auto-focus-zoom-weatherproof-ip-camera-bullet.html
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/dahua-ipc-hdbw2300r-z-3mp-2-8-12mm-motorized-auto-focus-zoom-weatherproof-ip-camera-dome.html
You can probably find them cheaper via ali with no warranty or support.
If you dont need varifocal, you can certainly find the 4mp dahuas for about 100 on ali. Just order the lens size you need.
As far as Dahua cams go wouldn't the pic be better with a 4mp version of the links you sent...? Just wondering...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as Dahua cams go wouldn't the pic be better with a 4mp version of the links you sent...? Just wondering...
Resolution wise the difference is negligible....you will get very little quality improvement....they may have improved other aspects of the image like noise and low light performance....again dont get carried away with the MP rating...do you have 4mp cameras with your current NVR? if so, stick with the 4mp...

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. I got a Q-See system from Costco with 8 4mp cams and a 16 channel NVR (QC8816). The cams (QCN8026B) are ok but all are 3.6mm so I was looking for a varifocal up to about 12mm. I'm happy with the NVR so far.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I got a Q-See system from Costco with 8 4mp cams and a 16 channel NVR (QC8816). The cams (QCN8026B) are ok but all are 3.6mm so I was looking for a varifocal up to about 12mm. I'm happy with the NVR so far.
Then get the 4mp...look for 4mp varifocal, or see if the cameras can be ordered with 6mm or 12mm lenses.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again for the good info. I'm getting a varifocal to begin with because I'm not sure exactly what lens I'll need yet. :)