REVIEW: Budget 4MP Turret Comparison - IPC-T2431T-AS vs Chinese HDW4433C-A

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Two different scenarios. But if not enough light to leave in color go with budget cam and added IR

if enough light fir color go with the 5442

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, though if using IR, can you ever really ID someone given what they look like with IR? Typically they're fairly "white washed" in terms of the face sort of thing.
If you walk right up to my 5442 and stare into it (literally just 3 or 4 feet away) then your face will be washed out. But I'll get a good face on you as you walk up to it. The IR just washes out the details right when you get directly on top of it. Its very clear as you approach it up to a point.

Now I've played with the IR adjustment and I can set it to manual to something like 70% and that will prevent the washout but you lose a bit of the edges to a darker scene since you aren't running IR as bright.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, though if using IR, can you ever really ID someone given what they look like with IR? Typically they're fairly "white washed" in terms of the face sort of thing.

It's just interesting, as folks recommend significant external lighting or IR with just about any camera, so guess the question in my mind is..."why bother with a 5442 if a T2431 will get you 90% of the way there, probably higher during the day and in ample light, and if none get you there at night and really it's more for motion triggers at that point, why spend double"?

Heck, we've had some break-ins in the last couple of months here and they're essentially smash and grabs. The criminals literally look into the camera as they've broken in and are out in 2 minutes sort of thing (usually wearing some form of facial cover that they throw on within a certain distance of the house, and at night).

Full color at night is always preferred but hard to pull off. It takes a buttload if white light, more than most folks realize. It’s easy to get a good color picture, but many find they get motion blur and noise with movement and are better off with a crisp B&W IR image. The 5442 makes it less hard as it can get by with less white light.

I run 12 cams at home, 4 are forced color. The others IR and many I have added IR. Like adding white light without the light! It will enhance your IR image and gives you options line offset to help eliminate shadows and reduce hot spots with angles.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got my 2nd one. These cams are impressive BUT ONLY IF you have some lighting.

They are vastly outclassed by 5442 no contest at night in low light condition as expected.

One thing to note, somehow switching picture to SOFT tents to improve things a bit (or is it just artificial?)

Also not sure what shutter speed to use I set shutter priority 1/30 on night mode for all 3 of my cams.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Silly question, i mounted the bracket for this pointing straight towards the street in my soffits but didn't take into account for positioning as i thought i would be able to adjust afterwards.

I need to rotate the camera about 45 degrees to the left so that it's not point straight at the street, for the life of me cannot figure how to rotate it. I'm able to adjust up/down but not left/right.

Does this camera not rotate? I really don't want to unscrew and reposition the bracket.

momad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recieved the IPC-T2431TM-AS-S2 and i am wondering why is the cam not 100% metal.

Cam-body = metal
Bracket = plastic

Can somebody confirm the same?

Thanks!

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recieved the IPC-T2431TM-AS-S2 and i am wondering why is the cam not 100% metal.

Cam-body = metal
Bracket = plastic

Can somebody confirm the same?

Thanks!
Did you buy the cheaper one ? That's the plastic one. Where did you buy it from ?

momad

n3wb
Reaction score

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the three upper resolutions in this camera just a difference in aspect ratio? They're all 4mp resolution? I'm assuming the highest one is the preferred one?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Just grabbed 8 of these from Andy. WOW is this a great quality all things considered. Looking forward to installing these very shortly. They'll be fine until I can work at my own pace to go to 5442's. Thanks for this awesome review and thread. Really helpful.

spenser911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's no other ip camera at this price point that can match the performance it puts out in my opinion!

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone that ordered with various lens sizes, can you post pictures from the same position?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Completely did myself in but got everything up. Really love these cameras. Even though a few of them were in areas with enough light for color, I prefer b&w. Quick caps, I'll post more when I come back to life. I'm still dialing in exposures too. And because we're due for siding the house before long, I went with...the gutter cam. Yes, the gutter cam lol. I did two like this and it was actually fun installing them.

85922189-4821-49B1-A054-F40D0F11C499.jpeg

D353CC05-BDDB-4E54-BCBE-42925D78595E.pngB2C5E98F-343E-44A3-8CCB-BD3E3BC1DB0E.png

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Some video from this morning. Will post night vids later. I'm coming from an analog system- I'm still awestruck by these cameras. Thank you for this tread and to Andy for really doing the right things with the purchases. I'll say this- I like analog for two reasons over high res; with analog I looked younger and skinnier. Now I'm like an old man trying to return soup at a deli ;) Seinfeld fans will get that.

image0.jpeg

Gutter Cam 1

Gutter Cam 2