Review: Dahua 8MP / 4K 25x Starlight IR PTZ - PTZ5A4K-25X / SD5A825GA-HNR

nightrider

n3wb
Reaction score
Normal h264/h265 encoders have A LOT of config options. Options which Dahua (HIK and other cctv cam mfc) hide from us - we have only very simple CBR/VBR/SmartVBR switch with simple frame rate/bandwith/quality options. Tons of encoder options are hidden from us and we don't known how Dahua change it from camera to camera or firmware to firmware. It looks that they optimised h265/h265+ very much on modern platforms..
Exactly!

Before I got into this world I ran a lot several multi-year projects integrating and developing pure software encoders / decoders with and without hardware acceleration, both in the frontend and the backend.
I'd love to have the ability to change encoding parameters and do other SoC optimizations but from the consumer end it's a hassle to even find the SoC / chip model.

Reaction score
One of the companies i work with installs the majority of the PTZ cameras I've helped install. I'm trying to talk him into intergrating a spotter camera. (i don't think we will)

We only use 1 home position and it works great, but unless something enters the HOME positions field of view it doesnt track. Obviously we have stationary cameras that cover everything and the quicker we get everything done the sooner he gets paid. The newer version of SMD 4.0 on our dahua oem cams seems to work really well.

bleomycin

n3wb
Reaction score
I will update to our website this week for the new one.
Any updates on this? I see the firmware available from dahua directly but it has not been updated on your website. Do you recommend owners upgrade with the firmware directly from dahua or continue to hold off?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Any updates on this? I see the firmware available from dahua directly but it has not been updated on your website. Do you recommend owners upgrade with the firmware directly from dahua or continue to hold off?
Sorry for the late, just upgrade the fw on our website, please go there and upgrade.

empiretech01.com/pages/download-firmwares
1718382400293.png

pepsiguy

n3wb
Reaction score
This camera has bare wire audio input (mic). Where can I find an appropriate outdoor mic? All the ones I can find are active powered (12v), and as far as I can tell, if powering this camera via PoE+, there is no power output from the camera to power an active mic.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, need an external power for the external mic, some guys use this one.

MICROSEVEN Compatible M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone for M7B77-W, M7D77-POE, Any IP Network Camera & PTZ IP Camera with Interface -an IP Camera External Microphone Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BBQFreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the firmware from Andy to work? Mine says it's an invalid package. REALLY hoping this makes the camera usable at night!.

RN3KU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Who installed the new firmware , how is it ? - DH_SD-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3-Normal_V3.200.0000018.2.R.240617

BBQFreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Did the firmware get resolved... all good now?

Looking at purchasing this PTZ.
I wouldn't - I've been fighting this camera since buying it. I'm not the expert that a lot of folks here are, but on the recent firmware I'm still getting reolink style ghosting at night and generally poor image quality. Going to keep tweaking shutter settings, illumination power and the like, but seems like the 4mp is the sweet spot on this platform.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
To stop Ghosting Gain needs to be 50 or below & shutter at least 8ms (1/125 s ) minimum, preferably 4ms (1/250 s). Gain in the daytime should be zero or as near to zero as you can get it.

That's general advice not specific to this camera.

Ghosting is the result of a combination of too much gain / a slow shutter speed. Sometimes people with cameras that aren't performing well in low light try to slow shutter / increase gain to get a brighter picture. It doesn't work, at least in so far as there are penalties for doing so. If you need more light and are running IR, consider an IR floodlight. Several have been recommended by members on here previously. These are generally quite low wattage but have good reach. The only danger there is too much IR close in but as it's a ptz I'm presuming you probably have a close in camera anyway. Also smart firmware may take ir levels into account removing the issue. Unsure of this model.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, need an external power for the external mic, some guys use this one.

MICROSEVEN Compatible M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone for M7B77-W, M7D77-POE, Any IP Network Camera & PTZ IP Camera with Interface -an IP Camera External Microphone Amazon.com
Slightly off topic but Andy do you know of any good speakers? With Dahua would build them in as they seem very hard to find with mostly poor quality or huge expensive horns the only option.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.