Review-Dahua DH-SD22204T-GN 2mp 4X Mini PTZ

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand these are sold as indoor cameras, are they however ok outdoors mounted under and eave?
From the manufacturer's data, the cameras are weathertight, and OK to use outdoors.

Here is what their PDF for this exact camera says about this:

"Environmental
Dahua cameras operate in extreme temperature environments, rated
for use in temperatures from
-30 °C to +60 °C (-22 °F to +140 °F) with
95% humidity. The camera complies with the IK10 Vandal Resistance
impact rating making it capable of withstanding the equivalent of 55 kg
(120 lbs) of force. Subjected to rigorous dust and water immersion tests
and certified to the IP66 Ingress Protection rating makes it suitable for
demanding outdoor applications."

However, I've read elsewhere that the plastic domes over this type of camera can degrade when exposed to direct sunlight, due to the UV radiation. I can't say whether that applies to this particular camera or not, though, and their wording above seems to say that it should be no problem. I've wondered several things:

Will blowing dirt and sand here (it's windy here in the winter) damage the plastic dome?

Will the camera itself be damaged if it's left "staring at the sun" all day.

Under an eave, in the shade, and aimed so it's not looking at the sun, I suspect they'd work well for a long time. But still, I often read that "dome style" cameras are not suitable outdoors. That seems odd since the dome ought to protect things a lot better than a "normal" PTZ camera whose articulating joints would be exposed to blowing grit.

Thank you so much for that! Your camera has exactly the same model and part number as mine (and the others), and yet, you get the bonus audio wiring! Very interesting. I wonder if people will all start getting the audio connections as the stock of non-audio ones is depleted.

I need to study the photos against mine better to see exactly what the differences are, but the board layout in yours is different than the board in mine based on a cursory examination.

I really appreciate the time and work it took to remove your already-installed camera and photograph it for us. That's a lot of work, and you have my thanks for taking that time.

Here are some photos of mine. If anyone wants to see full-resolution versions, I can post them easily enough.

Parity

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, and the information, going to order one from Andy for testing. If I get a few years from it I will be happy :)

Tom Lorek

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to study the photos against mine better to see exactly what the differences are, but the board layout in yours is different than the board in mine based on a cursory examination.
Wow, there are a LOT of differences. Should've taken a full above shot like your last one.

Reaction score
hi everybody.

Thx for the review :)

Does this camera have an hallway or corridor mode ?

Thx for the answers

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this the same camera on Empire Store?
Aliexpress.com : Buy SD22204T GN 1080p 2mp mini PTZ IP Camera full hd 4x optical 16xdigital network ptz ceiling mini dome camera, free shipping from Reliable Surveillance Cameras suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

I've had a price direct from Andy that's more than this?

EDIT: had a reply from Andy. The above camera is via standard shipping, so have decided to save $30 and get it with standard shipping from aliexpress as it's 7-10 days with express shipping anyway.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Is this the same camera on Empire Store?
Aliexpress.com : Buy SD22204T GN 1080p 2mp mini PTZ IP Camera full hd 4x optical 16xdigital network ptz ceiling mini dome camera, free shipping from Reliable Surveillance Cameras suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

I've had a price direct from Andy that's more than this?

EDIT: had a reply from Andy. The above camera is via standard shipping, so have decided to save $30 and get it with standard shipping from aliexpress as it's 7-10 days with express shipping anyway.
This is using standard way, if no hurry, buy on it directly.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys, what temperatures are you seeing on your cameras (OSD). I am seeing 115F during the mid morning. Outside temp is 80F. I am in FLA, its not even summer...
night time it sees 96F.

Other than that, I am liking this camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, what temperatures are you seeing on your cameras (OSD). I am seeing 115F during the mid morning. Outside temp is 80F. I am in FLA, its not even summer...
night time it sees 96F.

Other than that, I am liking this camera.
I believe that is the temp of the processor, not the air inside the cam. They all run warm.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks , its at 125F now. Yikes.
Do you guys know of a way to define the home position?

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I know you can set additional positions, but it seems like the "home" can't be changed? And this unfortunate because it makes my camera look at a wall.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried PTZ > Function > Idle Motion? You can set an idle time (in minutes) and then tell it either to start a tour, or go to a preset (which you can set on the line below it).

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I know you can set additional positions, but it seems like the "home" can't be changed? And this unfortunate because it makes my camera look at a wall.
All else fails, re-orient the camera to point where "home" is.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I wish, but the mount doenst allow it and home is so looking up :/

Jimtheman

n3wb
Reaction score
Tom I hope your still following this thread. Would you remember where you purchase the one with the pics from? I have purchased three of these cameras off Amazon vendors. I have one which the board and PCB's are an exact match of your pictures. It is excellent and very much a starlight in that it requires almost no light at all and provides clear color night vision. The seller for it is no longer available. I have two others that I have bought subsequently from other sellers which match the other individuals photos on this board and, although they work great and have a good clear low light, they cannot do low light color.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tom I hope your still following this thread. Would you remember where you purchase the one with the pics from? I have purchased three of these cameras off Amazon vendors. I have one which the board and PCB's are an exact match of your pictures. It is excellent and very much a starlight in that it requires almost no light at all and provides clear color night vision. The seller for it is no longer available. I have two others that I have bought subsequently from other sellers which match the other individuals photos on this board and, although they work great and have a good clear low light, they cannot do low light color.
Welcome, on a real computer, not a phone, study this>>Cliff notes