Review-Dahua DH-SD22204T-GN 2mp 4X Mini PTZ

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Courtesy of @EMPIRETECANDY at Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and at EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com: we have the Dahua DH-SD22204T-GN 2mp Mini PTZ to check out. It is the 2mp version of this 4mp cam reviewed earlier: Review-Dahua 4mp SD22404T-GN 4x Mini PTZ Speed Dome

I have received this camera in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Price is approximately $130-$150 shipped.

Product page: SD22204T-GN | Dahua Technology

Word is, there will be a Starlight version of this camera coming soon.

Specification sheet: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180905/SD22204T-GN_Datasheet_20180905.pdf

User manual: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180523/Dahua-Network-Speed-Dome-Web3_0-Operation-Manual-V1_0_0-201805226.pdf

2MP 4x PTZ Network Camera

> 1/2.7” 2 Megapixel CMOS
> Powerful 4x optical zoom
> Support Triple-streams encoding
> WDR, Day/Night(ICR), Ultra DNR
> Max. 25/30fps@1080P
> IVS
> Support PoE
> Max 100°/s pan speed
> IP66, IK10

Image Sensor 1/2.7” CMOS
Effective Pixels 1920(H) x 1080(V), 2 Megapixels
RAM/ROM 256M/128M
Electronic Shutter Speed 1/1s~1/30,000s
Scanning System Progressive
Minimum Illumination Color: 0.05Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.005Lux@F1.6
S/N Ratio More than 50dB
IR Distance N/A
IR On/Off Control N/A
IR LEDs N/A
Lens Focal Length 2.7mm~11mm
Max. Aperture F1.6
Angle of View H: 112.5° ~ 30°
Optical Zoom 4x
Focus Control Auto/Manual
Close Focus Distance 100mm~ 1000mm

It is the exact same form factor as the 4mp version. Good solid metal case

20180926_182858.jpg
When I removed the dome, this is where the silica gel pack was located. Remember, don't eat it. ;)
20180926_183544.jpg

It should have been stuck to the inside of the dome as you see in picture below. This would have affected the rotation of the camera if I hadn't found this. I didn't find any indication that it had ever been stuck to the dome, but may have been and fell off in shipping.
20180926_183400.jpg

20180926_182910.jpg

Sd memory card slot.

20180926_183430.jpg

Factory defaults reset button
20180926_183506.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy and I have had the discussion to whether or not this is actually a Starlight camera.
The North American site shows a model # that only differs with an i at the end, and states it's a Starlight.
B&H Photo, also list's this cam as being a Starlight model.
Is it, and the international site is simply wrong with the info, as they are in many other documents and info?

Except for the time stamp, and channel name, all settings are at factory default.

Daytime footage.

Is it Starlight, or is it Memorex?
Night.

Last edited:

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like the 2 mp version is $117 vs 4 mp @ $150. Love to see a side by side image/video comparison of the 2 mp vs 4 mp. I'm planning on using it to cover walking up to the front door which is fairly well lit. Amazon has a 6 mp for $110 but with the poor translation in the description - firmware can't be upgraded? For this 6 mp version, I believe this may be what is sometimes referred to on the forum as the hacked crap?
It looks like the price on Aliexpress for the 4 mp is higher than through Amazon by a few bucks?

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS-2-7-13-5mm-Motorized-Surveillance/dp/B07BF4PXPS/ref=pd_sim_421_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BF4PXPS&pd_rd_r=6e506194-c3a2-11e8-a797-fb4807d2b29c&pd_rd_w=SeaVm&pd_rd_wg=cZzPK&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=56838e6b-66d4-41e0-a762-743f1a1a628a&pf_rd_r=NW0PZMMPJJ61B1M4TYH6&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=NW0PZMMPJJ61B1M4TYH6

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The one you linked is not a PTZ. It's simply a Varifocal lens.
2mp version is ~$150 shipped
4mp version is ~$170 shipped

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
A PTZ with starlight sensor for $150 would be an amazing bargain. I have a few places where I could use something like that!

My main concern with any dome camera is the dome material. We get high winds here, mostly in winter, and I worry that a plastic dome could get sand-blasted in short order, wrecking the optical quality. I wonder if you can get a stockpile of replacement domes, or find glass domes that would stand up to abrasion better.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A PTZ with starlight sensor for $150 would be an amazing bargain. I have a few places where I could use something like that!

My main concern with any dome camera is the dome material. We get high winds here, mostly in winter, and I worry that a plastic dome could get sand-blasted in short order, wrecking the optical quality. I wonder if you can get a stockpile of replacement domes, or find glass domes that would stand up to abrasion better.
This has been discussed before, and best of my recollection, the chances are slim.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
This has been discussed before, and best of my recollection, the chances are slim.
That's what I figured. I'm sure this would have to come from the OEM of the camera. So if they don't offer something, it's not going to be available.

How scratch-resistant would you say these domes are? I like the idea of a protective dome to keep the wind-driven grit out of the mechanical workings and out of direct contact with the camera lens.

If the domes stand up to the abuse pretty well, maybe it's not much of an issue.

These are intriguing cameras. I might have to just try one and see how it holds up. I'd be especially excited to try one if it does use a starlight sensor.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I own both versions with 2mp, the older one with only 64MB rom and no p2p and smart codec, and the newer revision with 128MB with p2p and smart codec.
These are NO starlights. definitely not. And they are not very reliably. I used one of them as weather cam top mounted. It has worked for a half year, then the sun destroyed first the image sensor (pink picture parts) and at least its totally gone.
If you plan to use ptz not too often and not under direct sun its a nice cam. the picture is ok and with an external ir it also works perfect at night.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I own both versions with 2mp, the older one with only 64MB rom and no p2p and smart codec, and the newer revision with 128MB with p2p and smart codec.
These are NO starlights. definitely not. And they are not very reliably. I used one of them as weather cam top mounted. It has worked for a half year, then the sun destroyed first the image sensor (pink picture parts) and at least its totally gone.
If you plan to use ptz not too often and not under direct sun its a nice cam. the picture is ok and with an external ir it also works perfect at night.
This kind of camera mainly use for indoor or front door, not suit for outdoor using. Good for shop. It;s easy to know if the US version starlight or not, any guy bought one can post some pics,lol. Dahua data sheet has some many mistakes:eek::smash:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect that it is indeed Starlight. It produced an almost identical picture at night as my 5231ZE does with the same scene.
But I have no concrete proof.
That is certainly encouraging! That makes it more tempting, for sure.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
that nighttime motion looks great.... no blur when walking?

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns

Interesting indeed, but i tried it with Edge, but gave me a error right away ----> "Adobe Flash" needed to be activated. Firefox just showed a black screen on the place holders for the live views.

I am not a fan of flash, because it introduces other and new security risks compared to a also risky installed plugin. And flash is standard blocked in Firefox. On top of that, flash will be dropped soon enough in 2020.

But for the rest did this update finally fix the annoying zoom in / out bug that came with the previous firmware. For now i am pleased with the update so far, except for the Adobe Flash route...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns

Interesting indeed, but i tried it with Edge, but gave me a error right away ----> "Adobe Flash" needed to be activated. Firefox just showed a black screen on the place holders for the live views.

I am not a fan of flash, because it introduces other and new security risks compared to a also risky installed plugin. And flash is standard blocked in Firefox. On top of that, flash will be dropped soon enough in 2020.

But for the rest did this update finally fix the annoying zoom in / out bug that came with the previous firmware. For now i am pleased with the update so far, except for the Adobe Flash route...
Ugh, really? Yeah the flash use isn't a good choice. Bah.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got one of these coming tomorrow. I'll have to put the new firmware on right away and try it with various browsers. I always just use Pale Moon with the plug-in, but it can't hurt to test it with the others. I won't be activating Flash, though, if that's what's required to make it work with the other browsers.

I'll have to see how it compares to a known starlight camera in dim conditions just for grins, too.

Tom Lorek

n3wb
Reaction score
Last week I purchase one of these through Amazon. Bench tested and looks very nice, although when I took the dome off the black plastic cover over the ball wasn't clipped in completely. A little pressure and it went in place just fine. Got it installed Tuesday and it's working well, so much so that I ordered another (again though Amazon), which arrived about an hour ago.

I've already noticed several differences between the two;
First, there's a third pigtail for audio which wasn't on the first cam.
Second, like Looney the desiccant pack wasn't attached to the inside of the dome cover.
Third, I noticed some differences in the interface and checked the firmware version, which is different. (most likely due to the audio)
First cam without audio has the following: 2.622.0000000.3.R, Build Date: 2018-01-16
New cam has 2.622.0000000.7.R, Build Date: 2018-04-04

Second cam won't get installed for a few weeks due to work travel but will post some comparison videos then.