Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No I did read that. I’m comparing the technical specs of the sensor/lens.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but you didn't say lens, you said 'camera'... this thread has more than enough information that you did not have to revive it.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Got my first camera yesterday (Sunday) from Andy. Ordered the 2231 Friday, and two days later, it was on my doorstep. Between the quick delivery, and the quick follow ups to my questions, I can’t say enough about him. Below are a couple pics of color and B&W. In your opinion, if there’s enough light to run color, is that the preferred way to go? Thanks

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Got my first camera yesterday (Sunday) from Andy. Ordered the 2231 Friday, and two days later, it was on my doorstep. Between the quick delivery, and the quick follow ups to my questions, I can’t say enough about him. Below are a couple pics of color and B&W. In your opinion, if there’s enough light to run color, is that the preferred way to go? Thanks
I love the color one more. But the b/w looks sharper.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Screen caps, still shots, really won't show what happens when motion comes into the mix. I'd suggest going outside and seeing what it looks like, recorded, as you walk around playing door checker.
Will do, thanks. It started raining last night right after I put it up, so that’s the plan tonight.

GBillR

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Eric. How is the 2231 working for you? Can you tell me which firmware you're using? I have 2 of those cameras that I bought from Andy that I'm ready to install, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Lastly: What are you using for a NVR? Thanks!
-Bill

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Eric. How is the 2231 working for you? Can you tell me which firmware you're using? I have 2 of those cameras that I bought from Andy that I'm ready to install, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Lastly: What are you using for a NVR? Thanks!
-Bill
So far I love it, and Andy’s customer service is top notch. Its night and day between that and my other 4MP cameras with 1/3 sensors. Only negative is I wish I would have spent a little more and got the 5231 with the faster FPS. I’m not sure which firmware version it is, but I know there is a newer one out than what I’m using, just haven’t had time to update it. I’m using a Dahua 8 channel NVR right now until I can get a dedicated computer to run BI. Kids have too much garbage on the computer to run anything else in it.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What FPS are you running, @Eric R? If I had to guess, it seems like more folks here run at 15 FPS than not.

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What FPS are you running, @Eric R? If I had to guess, it seems like more folks here run at 15 FPS than not.
Mine are currently set at 15 FPS and when pausing the footage on moving vehicles I do not get a clear picture. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mine are currently set at 15 FPS and when pausing the footage on moving vehicles I do not get a clear picture. Does anyone else have this problem?

You are confusing shutter speed with FPS. FPS is how many pictures per second it records. A low FPS will have a fast moving car move really far frame to frame, but with the proper shutter speed, you'll still have a clear picture in each frame.

A slow shutter speed will let in more light, but with increased motion blur.

I think this confusion is why many introductory posts are people looking for a 4K 60FPS system.

Last edited:

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are confusing shutter speed with FPS. FPS is how many pictures per second it records. A low FPS will have a fast moving car move really far frame to frame, but with the proper shutter speed, you'll still have a clear picture in each frame.

A slow shutter speed will let in more light, but with increased motion blur.

I think this confusion is why many introductory posts are people looking for a 4K 60FPS system.
Good point. I can't recall my shutter speed but will have to check it out. Is it a common practice to adjust the shutter speed between the day and night settings?

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
I
I’m at 25 fps. I realize the shutter speed effects blur, but I was always under the understanding that when pausing a slower fps camera, it would also contribute to blur. Please educate me if I’m wrong. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can adjust my shutter speed because I’m running cameras straight to an NVR. I believe I would need to incorporate a switch to adjust shutter speed? Again, please educate me if I’m wrong.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I

I’m at 25 fps. I realize the shutter speed effects blur, but I was always under the understanding that when pausing a slower fps camera, it would also contribute to blur. Please educate me if I’m wrong. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can adjust my shutter speed because I’m running cameras straight to an NVR. I believe I would need to incorporate a switch to adjust shutter speed? Again, please educate me if I’m wrong.
When I mention shutter speed.. I'm referring to the exposure setting in the camera. I don't use an NVR, but can't you still go into each individual camera's webpage and adjust the settings?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don’t think I can adjust my shutter speed because I’m running cameras straight to an NVR.
It's a camera setting (like brightness, color, backlight, etc), so I'm pretty sure you can adjust it directly from the NVR, and if not, @Walrus' suggestion above (about directly connecting to the camera's web interface) should work. To directly connect to the camera's web interface (when you have a PoE NVR), you have to web into the NVR, and then there's a screen that lists all of your cameras. Next to each camera should be an icon that sends you directly to the camera.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
When I mention shutter speed.. I'm referring to the exposure setting in the camera. I don't use an NVR, but can't you still go into each individual camera's webpage and adjust the settings?
It's a camera setting (like brightness, color, backlight, etc), so I'm pretty sure you can adjust it directly from the NVR, and if not, @Walrus' suggestion above (about directly connecting to the camera's web interface) should work. To directly connect to the camera's web interface (when you have a PoE NVR), you have to web into the NVR, and then there's a screen that lists all of your cameras. Next to each camera should be an icon that sends you directly to the camera.
awesome, thanks. I will give that a shot.

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got a little free time to mess around with the cameras. I was able to log into each camera directly where I can adjust all the extra setting like Iframe, IR brightness, shutter speed etc. I’m at 25fps, matching iframe, and the shutter on auto. It’s clear at night, until I pause it, then I get a little distortion. Any recommendations on something I can adjust to help with this? Thanks!