Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Power and data (video audio) passes through the CAT5E/CAT6 cable.
I wonder what are the cables attached with audio in and audio out?

and another one for alarm? does it work with honeywell lynx 5210? What kind of cables do i need? or it's all connected to rj45?

DMF

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY, Just received my IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS in 3 business days to Vancouver Canada. I'm not quite sure why, but I can't seem to view the Main Stream in the live webui. The Sub Stream works fine though. Using latest chrome on OSX.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY, Just received my IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS in 3 business days to Vancouver Canada. I'm not quite sure why, but I can't seem to view the Main Stream in the live webui. The Sub Stream works fine though. Using latest chrome on OSX.
Your network/computer is bit slow or old, i have this happen on my 8 years old pc. when change on a newer pc, then no problem.

DMF

n3wb
Reaction score
Your network/computer is bit slow or old, i have this happen on my 8 years old pc. when change on a newer pc, then no problem.
Thanks, but that's unlikely the problem. The client is a fully loaded 2018 Macbook Pro and speedtest.net is showing 100Mbps from Internet let alone local to camera. VLC plays live RTSP Main Stream fine as well.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set the i-frame interval to the same as FPS. With the latest firmware, if the i-frame interval is set to the default (2x the FPS), the main stream goes blank for me. It appears fine in Blue Iris.

joqhith

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks, recently purchased an IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS from Andy, and before I do anything, I want to
bring the Firmware to its latest version.

Andy has the latest Firmware listed here as 20180813:
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS latest new firmware 20180813

However, on that same page, near the bottom, there are others who are asking/claiming that there is yet
another, newer version Firmware, but then the thread just sort of ends.

Can anyone confirm that there is a version newer than 20180813?

And lastly, dealing with the IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS, is there any official documentation dealing
with the procedure to apply the latest Firmware?

Thank you.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks, recently purchased an IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS from Andy, and before I do anything, I want to

However, on that same page, near the bottom, there are others who are asking/claiming that there is yet

And lastly, dealing with the IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS, is there any official documentation dealing

Thank you.
It will normally come with the latest firmware from the factory. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thank you.
Mine has this version: 2.800.0000005.0.R, Build Date: 2019-03-25

Reaction score
I recently purchased a HDW2231R-ZS (not sure if/how that's different from the HDW2231RP-ZS, but they seem to both be referenced together in the Wiki), and can't seem to find a way to put it into portrait mode. The settings show options for "Mirror" (on/off) and "Flip" (0/180), but "Flip" doesn't seem to have 90/270 rotations to it. And according to the official specs, it's supposed to be there: IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

Am I missing something? Still very much a newb trying to figure this all out.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a HDW2231R-ZS (not sure if/how that's different from the HDW2231RP-ZS, but they seem to both be referenced together in the Wiki), and can't seem to find a way to put it into portrait mode. The settings show options for "Mirror" (on/off) and "Flip" (0/180), but "Flip" doesn't seem to have 90/270 rotations to it. And according to the official specs, it's supposed to be there: IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

Am I missing something? Still very much a newb trying to figure this all out.
The -RP is probably European/PAL video versus US/NTSC. Changing the firmware changes that. With digital video, it really doesn't matter all that much.

swather450

n3wb
Reaction score
When configuring this camera in Blue Iris 5, should you just use Generic/ONVIF for the make and RTSP H.264/h.265/MJPG/MPEG4 for the model or is there something better to use?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When configuring this camera in Blue Iris 5, should you just use Generic/ONVIF for the make and RTSP H.264/h.265/MJPG/MPEG4 for the model or is there something better to use?
I've always let Blue Iris Find/Inspect the camera and let it configure everything automatically. End result is that it usually configures the make/model like you mentioned above, but it also goes through and configures the other tabs (for things like PTZ <for the varifocal part> and audio <I know the 2231 doesn't have audio, but if you get another camera that does>.

supersk

n3wb
Reaction score
Does this camera support email notifications using SMTP for Gmail?

I bought an Amcrest IP4M-1056EW and could not get the email notifications working. I entered the settings described in their FAQ here: How To Setup Email Alerts

However, still would not work for either Gmail or Yahoo Mail. (I tried on latest firmware version.) I called Amcrest support and they told me that this camera no longer works with Gmail SMTP. They couldn't figure out why it also didn't work with Yahoo either.

So, I'm in the market for a new camera. I know Amcrest's cameras are based on Dahua models. If Amcrest is having problems with email compatibility, does this mean Dahua cameras like this IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS also cannot connect to SMTP, particulary Gmail's?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys

This model IPC-HDW2231R-ZS will be replaced by the newer model IPC-T2231T-ZS. The old model IPC-HDW2231R-ZS EOL now, but I will keep updating the firmware if have any newer FW.
Thanks for your attention.