Review-Dahua NVR4216-16P-4KS2 NVR

Reaction score
Any idea how this works with dual hard drives? I assume at this price point they don't work as a RAID, so do they get provisioned as a single volume or do you have different options on how to use them?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea how this works with dual hard drives? I assume at this price point they don't work as a RAID, so do they get provisioned as a single volume or do you have different options on how to use them?
Welcome @Nibbles McGill

Typically for these NVRs you're looking to increase the storage space. ( I have not looked if the NVR5216 can do RAID 1 )

Most of us would rather have 2x the storage vs a mirrored ( RAID 1 ) setup.

I also do not recall needing to do any special volume management to create a volume of any kind.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome @Nibbles McGill

Typically for these NVRs you're looking to increase the storage space. ( I have not looked if the NVR5216 can do RAID 1 )

Most of us would rather have 2x the storage vs a mirrored ( RAID 1 ) setup.

I also do not recall needing to do any special volume management to create a volume of any kind.
I can confirm that my NVR5216 cannot do any raid, however fancy features do allow to specify on which disk you put what. Meaning that you could configure ch1-5 on hdd0 and ch6-10 on hdd1, or snapshots on the first and not on the other. Reasoning behind is that if one disk fails, you won't loose all of your footage.

Hope this helps,
CC

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found that you do not need to use the NVR's internal subnet to access the camera. For example, you don't need to know the 10.1.1.66 IP of the camera to access it. When you click the Web Browse button, it will open up a new browser and access that camera at something like: 192.168.1.100:53342. Assuming that the NVR is located at 192.168.1.100, the port 53342 corresponds to the camera at 10.1.1.66. The port is forwarding to that camera. So you need to remember the port numbers. Dahua is doing port forwarding on their NVR, but I have not found how to make the NVR display the list. You just need to manually click and record down the port numbers.

DaveAP5

n3wb
Reaction score
What does the latest firmware fix? The 4 series used to have dodgy firmware that when the NVR was not connected to a modem or router, none of the POE ports would work or a random selection would work. That has been fixed but I am wondering what the latest firmware fixes

Reaction score
Chris - I am looking to replace a Dauha NVR4208-8P-ADT-4 (I believe this is just the ADT version of the OEM NVR). I expect the existing IP cameras will work with it? And, I've been looking but I cannot find out whether its possible to preview the cameras on my desktop computer over the LAN. Not the camera LAN, but the computer LAN we'll connect the NVR to. Are you able to advise, and/or refer me to a URL to bone up on this? Thanks!

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Chris - I am looking to replace a Dauha NVR4208-8P-ADT-4 (I believe this is just the ADT version of the OEM NVR). I expect the existing IP cameras will work with it? And, I've been looking but I cannot find out whether its possible to preview the cameras on my desktop computer over the LAN. Not the camera LAN, but the computer LAN we'll connect the NVR to. Are you able to advise, and/or refer me to a URL to bone up on this? Thanks!
Depends on your network setup what you can see or not see. The easiest solution is to use SmartPSS to connect to the DVR, and then you can see all the cameras connected.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
What does the latest firmware fix? The 4 series used to have dodgy firmware that when the NVR was not connected to a modem or router, none of the POE ports would work or a random selection would work. That has been fixed but I am wondering what the latest firmware fixes
DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3.216.0000002.0.R.190102.zip here is the latest new one, but if you have hacked chinese models, better not update.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on your network setup what you can see or not see. The easiest solution is to use SmartPSS to connect to the DVR, and then you can see all the cameras connected.
If you cannot connect or PING the NVR over the LAN, SmartPSS will not work. IF you can put the NVR on the same subnet as your computer , you should have NO issues Viewing through The WEBGUI and Smart PSS.

Reaction score
If you cannot connect or PING the NVR over the LAN, SmartPSS will not work. IF you can put the NVR on the same subnet as your computer , you should have NO issues Viewing through The WEBGUI and Smart PSS.
The cameras will connect directly to their Ethernet ports on the NVR. I'm assuming it has its own IP network. The WAN port on the NVR will be connected to the computer LAN. I think from the posts I've seen here that that will work. If for some reason putting the NVR on the computer network will put the cameras on the same network, then I'd need a way to create a new IP range for the cameras.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR if set up correctly (By DEFAULT) will have it own private IP POOL usually 10.1.1.x and the cams will not be exposed to your Lan.

EDIT----> Your cams will not be exposed to your Lans Ip POOL.

Last edited:

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, on the website it says
https://us.dahuasecurity.com/product/4k-16-ch-1u-nvr-with-analytics/

The Dahua Analytics+ algorithms significantly improve accuracy and reliability, as compared to standard intelligent features, to achieve precision human facial analysis, and support two (2) channels of real-time face recognition based on a database that stores up to 20,000 faces. The NVR also offers advanced perimeter protection that distinguishes between human and vehicular violations on up to four (4) channels simultaneously. The DHI-NVR4216-16P-I is ideal for applications that require entrance/exit management, where knowing who is coming and going is a valuable asset.

Is this a gimmick or a real feature that you might use??

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so I've read the datasheet linked in the original post. Your camera have to have the smarts. I assume those high end PTZ ones may have it.

The NVR records standard intelligence at-the-edge features, as well as premium IVS features that detect abandoned or missing objects, Tripwire violations, and intrusion violations. The NVR is also capable of recording business analysis data – Facial Detection, People Counting, and Heat Map – from IP cameras with built-in Intelligent Business Analytics.