Review Dahua OEM SD22204UE-GN by EmpireTech Andy

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua OEM SD22204UE-GN by EmpireTech Andy
2MP 4x Starlight PTZ Network Camera

Review unit courtesy of Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: link
Andy's AliExpress store: link
Andy's Amazon store: link**
Andy's Email: kingsecurity2014 (at) 163 (dot) com
** On Amazon, Andy sells under the Loryta name

Price Approximately US $155-165
Link to camera on Andy's AliExpress store: link
Link to camera on Andy's Amazon store: link
(price and link as of 06/16/19)

Quick Specs:
Starlight - 1/2.8" STARVIS image sensor
PTZ, max 100°/s pan speed
4x optical zoom
This camera does not have built-in IR, but it can utilize IR from other sources
Triple-stream encoding
IP66, IK10

SD2220204UE-GN SPECIFICATIONS (full)
SD22204UE-GN

SD2220204UE-GN DATASHEET
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/uploads/soft/20190305/SD22204UE-GN_Datasheet_20190305.pdf

Unboxing Pics

IMG_3188.jpeg IMG_3189.jpeg IMG_3190.jpeg IMG_3191.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the SD22204UE-GN mounted to the PFA137 water-proof junction box.

NOTE this junction box is not included with the SD22204UE-GN; it's a separate purchase.

This particular junction box is round, with the ability to route the cables out the bottom and right sides, assuming it mounted vertically. There is also the ability to route the cables out through the center of the back of the junction box, which is covered with waterproof backing that you would need to punch through.

IMG_3217.jpeg

The arrow points to the bottom of the box. Note the white rubber gasket on the top that will seal between the back of the camera and the box. Also note the two screw-out caps for the side ports.

IMG_3219.jpeg

If routing the cable out one of the ports, this box comes with an adapter that screws into the port. Your unterminated Ethernet cable will slide in through this adapter.

IMG_3221.jpeg

Note that as you tighten this adapter, it closes on your Ethernet cable. This is the adapter fully open.

IMG_3228.jpeg

This is the adapter fully closed. Note the black rubber ring that tightens around the Ethernet cable, for the purpose of keeping water out.

IMG_3229.jpeg

This is the hardware kit that comes with the junction box. The three bigger screws are used to mount the box to a wall/ceiling/etc. The three smaller Torx-like screws will be used to connect the camera to the junction box.

IMG_3225.jpeg

Here the box is mounted to a piece of foam board (using the three larger screws):

IMG_3227.jpeg

With the box mounted, I've routed a piece of unterminated Ethernet through one of the side ports and have the three pieces of the Dahua Waterproof Ethernet connector added.

IMG_3230.jpeg

To assemble the Dahua Waterproof Ethernet connector, slide the rubber piece into the bottom of the large piece...

IMG_3231.jpeg

... then twist the bottom piece onto the large piece. This causes the rubber piece to compress around the Ethernet cable, keeping water from getting inside the connector.

IMG_3232.jpeg

On the camera-end, there is a white ring that needs to be added.

IMG_3233.jpeg

Then the camera-end simply twists into the other end, and you have one rather large hopefully waterproof connector protecting the Ethernet ends.

IMG_3235.jpeg

To prepare for joining the camera to the junction box, you need to find a happy spot for all of the wires.

IMG_3237.jpeg

Once the wires are situated, position the camera on the junction box so that the camera mounting holes align with holes on the box. Then use the three shorter Torx-like screws to attach the camera securely to the box.

IMG_3238.jpeg

Once the camera has been secured to the box, attach the camera dome to the camera.

IMG_3242.jpeg

This is what mine looked like at the end.

IMG_3240.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, one video with three night clips:

Clip 1 - This camera in Day/Night Auto mode (it chooses color)
Clip 2 - This camera in Day/Night B/W mode
Clip 3 - A HDW5231R-Z in Day/Night Auto mode (it choses B/W) <with IR disabled>

I was surprised that with the same light levels at night (and the cameras being left to choose their own Day/Night mode), this camera stays in Color but the 5231 switches to B/W.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
[reserved for PTZ settings screenshots <lots of options>]

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice pre-install review there my friend... Hope this will help some noobs with how to install the camera on the bracket and water seal the RJ45 connector. Not sure if you already do this but I always use some silicon gel on the power connector to prevent water or moisture getting in.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This could be exactly what I'm looking for in my next camera. I eagerly await the rest of the review.

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just saw these on the store, think I may be picking one up, def looking forward to the rest of the review! Curious how well these domes do outdoors, say under an eve? I know theyre IP66, but more worried if rain makes them completely useless? Or do they shed water well? Perhaps RainX could help? Anyways, def looks promising!

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, to add, the link to Amazon indicates these are in stock for prime with 2 day delivery :D Although I notice the seller says Loryta? Im assuming thats some affiliate or something, same p/n and all.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although I notice the seller says Loryta?
That’s Andy. Loryta is a business name registered to him in the US. I think he’s working on getting EmpireTech registered here too. I’ll update the review to mention that, thanks for mentioning this.

We’ve had rain here the last two nights after work so I haven’t had a chance to do much. Hopefully tomorrow night is better.

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice, wonder how much of his inventory he plans to send stateside for amazon prime shipping... I mean at that point I would literally not have a reason to go anywhere else lol

Fourier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered one PayPal and one from amazon from Andy. I can’t speak for everyone, but to Florida it was 3-4 dhl shipping. It pretty much felt like amazon prime shipping

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Man, wish you couldve gotten it up before the storms - would love to see how a dome like this does in heavy rain/wind. Where I live (OK) thats like half the spring. Im a little concerned if the dome is right for me with weather conditions. I have experience with literally every other type of cam lol, but I guess Im a bit worried it will get obscured by rain easier than my bullets/turrets. Really hoping not though because the price point makes these ideal to have two on opposite ends of the house :D They would be under the eve, so some protection from weather, but heck tstorms here push the rain sideways most the time anyways lol

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy/All, are you able to comment on the wavelength of IR these are compatible with? If I decide to go this route, Im also thinking about building some compact IR "floodlights" that I could power with PoE, but I'm also considering using 940nm IR, which would make the led's completely invisible at night (at least as far as I know - they wouldnt be anywhere near as obvious as the 820nm or whatever most cams come with)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They would be under the eve, so some protection from weather, but heck tstorms here push the rain sideways most the time anyways lol
For testing, this is located under my front porch, so it will only catch sideways rain too. I'm not able to use Dahua's waterproof Ethernet connectors at the moment (have a PoE splitter hooked up to run it and a 5231 over one Ethernet cable at the moment), so I'm OK if it doesn't get wet for bit. :)

The neighbors in the house behind these cameras just moved in and I haven't really met them yet. Can't imagine what they think so far. :D

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.28.17 PM.png

Last edited:

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welp, got mine in today! Thanks to Andy's Amazon store, had it in 2 days :D So far Im extremely impressed, very very good bang for the buck, although well see how it does with rain next storm. Im still super impressed with the sensors ability in low light, Im getting a far better image at night than the Dahua 4MP (of course not starlight+) and this camera has no IR, and half of the driveway lighting is out. My biggest worry turned out to not be a concern at all, the PTZ functionality has been super responsive, using an xbox controller to control it is like playing a game hah. (Not quite as fast as the cameras in R6:Siege, but almost :p) Only "issue" so far is that the onvif preset functionality with Milestone XP didnt seem to work, but I just instead set it to let XProtect handle the presets and theyve worked perfect. Id be happy to add some pics/videos, is it ok to tag on to your thread?

**EDIT** One thing I did learn, Im going to pick up one of the junction boxes (seems theyre only like $15 as well) as I didnt realize this camera would pitch so high up it actually gets blocked a bit by the small trim around my eve, Im thinking with this box it should create just enough offset Ill gain a bit more useable fov :)