REVIEW- Dahua SD1A404XB-GNR 4MP AI mini PTZ

Reaction score
Instances like this usually point to a cable issue.
If you made the cable, did you use Pure Solid copper cable that was either 24awg or 23awg?
Did you follow the 568b wiring standard?
You may need to replace the male RJ45's on the cable.
Do NOT plug into POE and 12vdc power supply at the same time.
We tested the cam on various ethernet cables. Some regular indoor cat5s, as well the direct burial cat5 (24awg) going to a Hikvision. We also specifically bought a cat6 outdoor 24awg cable with the same result. I don't think it's the wire, but if it is, it might be something specific to Dahua cams? Either way the return window just passed so I'm stuck with it. I'm going to wire it via the extension 12v and switch off PoE for that port (which is a huge waste of a PoE cable lol).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Max_Vi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello from Italy and thanks for your insights.

Im evaluating this camera and mostly it fits my needs, has anyone by chance explored the people count feature ?

how does it works ? The manual lacks of descriptions and all I found are two videos with a "semaphore" application that allows only a certain number of people, I was wondering if there’s something like a live counter of people in a room.

As long I can gather here,

it allows to count people in and out an area and eventually trigger an alarm both ways, am I right there’s no choice to have a counter of how many people are in a room in the viewing area ?

thanks,

Max

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
has anyone by chance explored the people count feature ?

how does it works ?
It just counts how many faces it sees in facial recognition detection mode.
In IVS I think there's a trip line and it counts crossing in either direction.

Citation needed, mine's sat in a box for a few months. I'm finally getting it up this week :).

Last edited:

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll be getting my SD1A404XB-GNR this week and mounting it to the bottom of a wooden beam near the entryway to my home. For asthetic reasons I'd like to paint the camera (except the dome, of course) thr color of the beam. I realize the IR illuminators are on the edges of the bottom black part of the camera but I don't expect to need to use IR at all and will have it turned off. Anyone see a problem with painting it?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll be getting my SD1A404XB-GNR this week and mounting it to the bottom of a wooden beam near the entryway to my home. For asthetic reasons I'd like to paint the camera (except the dome, of course) thr color of the beam. I realize the IR illuminators are on the edges of the bottom black part of the camera but I don't expect to need to use IR at all and will have it turned off. Anyone see a problem with painting it?
I would mount the camera and give it a trial run first before you paint it since you can't return it after it's been painted, which also may void the manufacturer warranty.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Have a youtube live view using the SD1A404XB-GNR. Very good!

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just purchased one of these from Andy's Amazon store. Great to deal with... asked several questions and got a response very quickly. Nothing new for everyone around here :)
Installed the camera today so setting everything up and dialing in. So far I like what I see, for a small ptz.

If anyone happens to have any tips, settings etc.. feel free to post them. Being my first PTZ, and first camera with all the new settings... read read and more reading...

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Evening all. I have a bit of problem with this camera that I just got set up.
At night it looks as those half the picture is fine and the other half is washed out, with like a line right in the middle of the picture.

During the day, everything looks fine.

I'm curious if I have something set wrong, or perhaps the camera itself is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attempted to attach a picture showing what I see. Thanks all...PTZ1.jpg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, some other light cast on the camera's lens, try to make it color without IR, i think still have it. Daytime should be OK.
Easy way is to adjust the camera away from the light pollution, then should be ok. Or just turn off the external light.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glare... Really didn't think about that one. As for the light pollution, neighbors in the back and to the side both have floodlights that stay on half-bright during the night.

Doesn't matter which direction I turn the camera, that line in the middle and washed out to the right stays the same. If it was glare from a light, wouldn't it look different on the picture depending on which direction I'm pointing the camera?

Not a deal breaker at all, as I'm using this for the benefit of the PTZ... as I have other fixed cameras covering the same area. Other than that little problem, the camera works great for what I need it for. :)

I considered a bigger/better PTZ, but they're just too large for the area I need it. Hopefully the new mini-PTZ coming out this summer will be the camera for me. :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Glare... Really didn't think about that one. As for the light pollution, neighbors in the back and to the side both have floodlights that stay on half-bright during the night.

Doesn't matter which direction I turn the camera, that line in the middle and washed out to the right stays the same. If it was glare from a light, wouldn't it look different on the picture depending on which direction I'm pointing the camera?

Not a deal breaker at all, as I'm using this for the benefit of the PTZ... as I have other fixed cameras covering the same area. Other than that little problem, the camera works great for what I need it for. :)

I considered a bigger/better PTZ, but they're just too large for the area I need it. Hopefully the new mini-PTZ coming out this summer will be the camera for me. :)
Can turn off the IR, pic will be better.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It almost looks like a piece of that protective film is still on. Definite haze over 1/2 of the image
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I went out this morning to take a look and don't see anything. Wiped the dome off etc... everything looks fine.
Here is a picture during the day. I still need to figure out all the settings for day/night. Using the Dahua software is completely different than what I was using with the lorex NVR.

So yeah.. a lot to learn about settings etc...
I will say, I'll be buying everything from Andy in the future.

PTZDay2.jpgPTZDay2.jpg

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welp, cleaning the exterior of the dome and checking for any exterior film didn't help a thing.
I would believe light glare causing this, if it weren't for the line in the middle and the haze on the right side of the picture. Doesn't matter what angle, position I put the camera in, that haze follows it around.

Any other ideas or options?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont own the camera any longer so going from memory. I think it had 3-4 IR LEDs around the edge. How is yours mounted? Pic?
Thinking that’s a reflection from one of the onboard LEDs…

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I dont own the camera any longer so going from memory. I think it had 3-4 IR LEDs around the edge. How is yours mounted? Pic?
Thinking that’s a reflection from one of the onboard LEDs…
Yes, I believe it has 3 IR around the edge. I have those turned off. It is mounted directly to my soffit.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok if you’re sure they’re off, I recall the ball holding the lens had two adjustment points. Perhaps it’s angled in such a way as to be reflecting off the inside components or very edge of the dome. Try adjusting lens ball to see if that makes a difference.

The day pic looks ok? So it has to be a reflection