Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj No, unfortunately thats a misconception that people have. In other words buying a 4K, running at 2MP or 4MP but running at 2MP for chosen resolution doesn't affect / improve the overall performance or light sensitivity of the camera at all. The sensor optic and MP pairing does not change due to your selection of resolution is probably the easier way to day it :)

Like I said, if you don't need / desire or require the 4MP then the 49225 at around $399 (if I recall) is one heck of a camera.

@Wildcat_1 - I know it costs a little more, but from an availability standpoint the 49425 is easier/quicker to get LOL. If you ran it at 2MP, it would then be comparable to the 49225 correct?

I should probably bite the bullet and go the next step up but something about under $500 is an easier sell in the household LOL. The 5A425 is a lot larger as well if I recall from your write-ups correct?

Last edited:

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi aabs, The SD49225XA-HNR comes "standard" now without Auto tracking feature as Dahua removed this feature because they are greedy censored and want you to buy more
SD4
expensive models such as 5 or 6 series.

9225XA-HNR and SD49225T-HN-S2 the difference is the 225T is the old model not Ai and no PFA and sucks@ auto tracking.

Dahua do have a "secret custom firmware" which is not available to download.

There are a few sellers who will load this firmware on the camera for you ONLY if you buy the camera from them but they will not send you the firmware if you buy the camera elsewhere.
I have this "Secret Dahua Firmware "which I have sent it to many forum members here who have re enabled auto tracking on their camera's without any problems.

I am not a trader or seller and don't make any profit from here or anywhere else I just like to help people this matters to me more than money. If you want to buy this camera from where ever and it comes without auto tracking send me a PM and I will send you the "Secret Dahua Firmware"

Regards Andy

PS: Remember anything you buy from China has Zero UK Warranty and if anything went pear shaped with it you can imagine the ball ache you will have.
Many thanks to LJW2k for helping me purchase and set up this camera amongst all the confusion being created by different firmware revisions removing the AI capabilities.
I was also concerned of the the slipping and losing of preset positions.
Further research of this soon identified that this was a mechanical failure and not a firmware issue which would result in a RTB warranty claim.
I was all set to purchase from China but given the small difference in price & 3yr UK warranty I decided to purchase here in the UK.

I noticed in all my reading research that Ljw2k had been good enough to help other forum members can the best out of their 9225XA-HNR in the past.
Ljw2k was good enough again the set up a remote session and help me fine tune my camera. This guy is what the forums should be about and is a great help and font of knowledge and really knows his way around a PTZ.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Most guys here know us we never sell the lowest price on aliexpress or amazon, and we are the only guy who do real warranty from China., YOU Bought 2 PTZ from us in 2018 and 2019 and all returned and i paid even the shipping cost for return after you used for weeks, @Wildcat_1 and I cost lots of time to help you solve the issues, We not sell items and disappeared , by the way YOU returned 2 cams still working very well at NL, my clients project places, never have problems. Maybe our camera has hardware problem at UK. lol
You sure can sell items here, but please not hijack the review. Paste too much useless words on this review topic, thank you.
For the firmware, when i get approvement from dahua i will paste here, I don't think sharing the autotracking firmware here is a proper way to show something i am a real man or not, but I have to follow the rules.
We sure can stop selling to UK, if 90% UK guys think Andy is a big liar. But if just 10% not like us, we still go on, I never talk too much on the forum to talk about buying from us or not, we just like to do business who respect or trust each other.
The most important is for fun and safe for our spaces.

Everyone can talk here, but please try not to hijack review here with too much useless words.

Thank you for everyone's great support for us, you too @ljk
By the way, for this model @Wildcat_1 really helpped a lot of guys here for remote support and help. Thanks to his always perfect work!
1593961938050.png

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Here we go again @EMPIRECANDY you are trying to ridicule me on a public forum again even though we have had this discussion in the past many times and it's now becoming boring so please stop.

It was well documented on the forum in regards to why the camera's was returned including audio and video evidence of my problems, you even stated the 59225 was not a very good camera in skype if you want me to Copy/Paste that reply.

You are saying there was nothing wrong with both camera's which is totally Incorrect information, members can go look at the video's and audio clips that was posted by me and other forum members and make their own minds up. You just look silly when you keep saying that their was no faults with the camera's I returned. Also you don't think I'm going to pay for return postage for a faulty item I received from you do you or are you that deluded?

Maybe the camera fixed itself on it's way back to NL ....lol

Let me educate you again that I do not sell items I am NOT a seller and make zero profit from any member on the forum I just like to help people.

I just wanted to say why you are on the subject of helping others Wildcat did indeed try to help resolve my problem and I appreciated that very much indeed he is a Credit to this forum and a very knowledgeable person. My camera was not fixed and was returned with the faults after weeks or trying.

Not sure if you know but this is an open forum and you DO NOT own it, if I have posted anything out of order I'm sure the moderators/Admin would soon come along and remove my USELESS posts.
Like I have said in the past people will make their own decisions. If my posts are useless words then why do people ask me for help.

I believe I'm a Genuine Honest Person which would help anyone. I would share my knowledge and experience gained from this very forum with any members who needs it.

Not sure about the sentence "REAL MAN" strange words from you there Andy is this meant for another forum! Sorry can't help you with that one ..lol

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Here we go again @EMPIRECANDY you are trying to ridicule me on a public forum again even though we have had this discussion in the past many times and it's now becoming boring so please stop.

It was well documented on the forum in regards to why the camera's was returned including audio and video evidence of my problems, you even stated the 59225 was not a very good camera in skype if you want me to Copy/Paste that reply.

You are saying there was nothing wrong with both camera's which is totally Incorrect information, members can go look at the video's and audio clips that was posted by me and other forum members and make their own minds up. You just look silly when you keep saying that their was no faults with the camera's I returned. Also you don't think I'm going to pay for return postage for a faulty item I received from you do you or are you that deluded?

Maybe the camera fixed itself on it's way back to NL ....lol

Let me educate you again that I do not sell items I am NOT a seller and make zero profit from any member on the forum I just like to help people.

I just wanted to say why you are on the subject of helping others Wildcat did indeed try to help resolve my problem and I appreciated that very much indeed he is a Credit to this forum and a very knowledgeable person. My camera was not fixed and was returned with the faults after weeks or trying.

Not sure if you know but this is an open forum and you DO NOT own it, if I have posted anything out of order I'm sure the moderators/Admin would soon come along and remove my USELESS posts.
Like I have said in the past people will make their own decisions. If my posts are useless words then why do people ask me for help.

I believe I'm a Genuine Honest Person which would help anyone. I would share my knowledge and experience gained from this very forum with any members who needs it.

Not sure about the sentence "REAL MAN" strange words from you there Andy is this meant for another forum! Sorry can't help you with that one ..lol
So many times people don't know what they are doing with these cameras and claim they are defective or broken. Try to show some respect to Andy considering most of us buy our cameras from him and receive excellent customer service.. This isn't about you , its about the 1000s of other members that count on Andy to get their cameras. Of course helping others is great and it's appreciated.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
So many times people don't know what they are doing with these cameras and claim they are defective or broken. Try to show some respect to Andy considering most of us buy our cameras from him and receive excellent customer service.. This isn't about you , its about the 1000s of other members that count on Andy to get their cameras. Of course helping others is great and it's appreciated.
I fully agree with your first comment in regards to members not knowing how to setup their camera's proper and I am willing to help even if the camera come from Andy, infact I helped someone only yesterday set his camera up he got from Andy so this is not just about Andy and how he sells camera's to many forum members here it's a review about the Dahua SD9225XA-HNR even though it's promoting his sales directly it's not all about Andy.

This is indeed about me as I have a forum member trying to ridicule me on an open forum and I will always defend myself with the true facts and respect those who respect me.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I fully agree with your first comment in regards to members not knowing how to setup their camera's proper and I am willing to help even if the camera come from Andy, infact I helped someone only yesterday set his camera up he got from Andy so this is not just about Andy and how he sells camera's to many forum members here it's a review about the Dahua SD9225XA-HNR even though it's promoting his sales directly it's not all about Andy.

This is indeed about me as I have a forum member trying to ridicule me on an open forum and I will always defend myself with the true facts and respect those who respect me.
It would help immensely if everyone tried to stay on topic in all the review threads. It makes it hard for especially new users to sort through 50 pages of a thread, with many different paths to follow, not related to the review thrown in.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
It would help immensely if everyone tried to stay on topic in all the review threads. It makes it hard for especially new users to sort through 50 pages of a thread, with many different paths to follow not related to the review thrown in.
Agree 3rd time now .......so stop posting shit about me Andy if you have a problem with me PM me.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

As the op of this particular thread, I felt compelled to weigh in here. I agree with @looney2ns that these threads need to be kept on point by anyone contributing to them. I am more than happy to dedicate my time to review, analyze, assess and support cams, NVRs and other security equipment in hopes that by sharing their true (not spec sheet based) performance and my experience in the real world that it helps others pick the right equipment and understand configuration requirements for a more successful install. I know @looney2ns, @bigredfish, @Cameraguy, @fenderman and others share this sentiment as they too dedicate a ton of time to this community, THANK YOU ! Having designed and configured many global systems, IP networks and dark site related security projects I am also more than happy to spend the approximately 4+ hours per day supporting users of this great forum directly by overhauling, recommending and configuring their systems through remote connect in efforts to assist them on their path to a successful CCTV install, business or residential, single site or multi. This is always with no hidden agenda, no bias, no kick back and no cost. Many times this is with users systems that contain cams from multiple manufacturers and distributors. Why is this work important to me ? Well, because I appreciate and respect the community that has been built here by Fender, Looney, Mike and others and want to contribute where I can to continuing the trend of this forum going from strength to strength.

With all that said, what I personally won’t stand for in my threads are those that become slagging matches or other negative posts that detract from or hijack the purpose of a thread and the spirit of this community.

When it comes to distributors, I have a choice like we all do when purchasing equipment. For me personally, I very much appreciate the service, responsiveness and dedication of @EMPIRETECANDY whether on a single device or multi thousand dollar sale depending on my needs. His commitment to this community and its users, is, in my opinion, second to none. With that said, every user has the opportunity of seller choice for their purchase, thats what makes this community great. Everyone is free to purchase from whomever they like, whether its EMPIRETECANDY or a myriad of authorized distributors (authorized being key to a successful purchase) that they deem suitable for their needs. The most importune thing (in my opinion) as I mention in a post above is service and commitment when things go south and in my personal experience, EMPIRETECANDY and his company embody this. His honest, open approach and direct channel into Dahua has been key to successfully providing feedback on improvements to cams, firmware and awareness of issues that have been seen. I’ve been able to work with some of the Dahua development engineers directly on occasion with issues that I’ve reported here. This has lead to successful and expeditious improvements of a product and/or provision of FW that often times might go un-noticed but are transformative to a particular experience. I’ll say that personally I don’t get this level of commitment with most other companies and that this is coming from someone that has spent $100,000’s of dollars with dealers such as B&H etc on pro video equipment year over year. However, again everyone has a choice on where to spend their hard earned money.

Lastly, as you’ve seen many of us that post device reviews point out, there are many cams or other devices that just don’t live up to their hype, as I mention in this post here that details why not all cams should be considered equal. Personally, you’ll never see me push a cam or other device (review unit or personal purchase) if it just doesn’t perform. When any of us do see issues on a review or through other experience, we’ll be the first to point it out to not only raise the issue to be addressed but to guide other users like us on which products do what they say on the tin vs those to bear with (as FW gets fixed) and those to avoid completely. We’ll also share tips and tricks on how to get the most out of a particular device and be brutally honest with feedback when we see an issue with a particular user config or install that needs addressing.

So lets gets this thread back on track regarding the 49225, which is a phenomenal camera (regardless of native AT version or re-flashed), continue to grow this great community and as always if anyone needs any assistance from me personally, I’m here, just tag me in a thread or reach out via DM and I’m happy to help where I can.

Thanks all for your time
WC

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
All

As the op of this particular thread, I felt compelled to weigh in here. I agree with @looney2ns that these threads need to be kept on point by anyone contributing to them. I am more than happy to dedicate my time to review, analyze, assess and support cams, NVRs and other security equipment in hopes that by sharing their true (not spec sheet based) performance and my experience in the real world that it helps others pick the right equipment and understand configuration requirements for a more successful install. I know @looney2ns, @bigredfish, @Cameraguy, @fenderman and others share this sentiment as they too dedicate a ton of time to this community, THANK YOU ! Having designed and configured many global systems, IP networks and dark site related security projects I am also more than happy to spend the approximately 4+ hours per day supporting users of this great forum directly by overhauling, recommending and configuring their systems through remote connect in efforts to assist them on their path to a successful CCTV install, business or residential, single site or multi. This is always with no hidden agenda, no bias, no kick back and no cost. Many times this is with users systems that contain cams from multiple manufacturers and distributors. Why is this work important to me ? Well, because I appreciate and respect the community that has been built here by Fender, Looney, Mike and others and want to contribute where I can to continuing the trend of this forum going from strength to strength.

With all that said, what I personally won’t stand for in my threads are those that become slagging matches or other negative posts that detract from or hijack the purpose of a thread and the spirit of this community.

When it comes to distributors, I have a choice like we all do when purchasing equipment. For me personally, I very much appreciate the service, responsiveness and dedication of @EMPIRETECANDY whether on a single device or multi thousand dollar sale depending on my needs. His commitment to this community and its users, is, in my opinion, second to none. With that said, every user has the opportunity of seller choice for their purchase, thats what makes this community great. Everyone is free to purchase from whomever they like, whether its EMPIRETECANDY or a myriad of authorized distributors (authorized being key to a successful purchase) that they deem suitable for their needs. The most importune thing (in my opinion) as I mention in a post above is service and commitment when things go south and in my personal experience, EMPIRETECANDY and his company embody this. His honest, open approach and direct channel into Dahua has been key to successfully providing feedback on improvements to cams, firmware and awareness of issues that have been seen. I’ve been able to work with some of the Dahua development engineers directly on occasion with issues that I’ve reported here. This has lead to successful and expeditious improvements of a product and/or provision of FW that often times might go un-noticed but are transformative to a particular experience. I’ll say that personally I don’t get this level of commitment with most other companies and that this is coming from someone that has spent $100,000’s of dollars with dealers such as B&H etc on pro video equipment year over year. However, again everyone has a choice on where to spend their hard earned money.

Lastly, as you’ve seen many of us that post device reviews point out, there are many cams or other devices that just don’t live up to their hype, as I mention in this post here that details why not all cams should be considered equal. Personally, you’ll never see me push a cam or other device (review unit or personal purchase) if it just doesn’t perform. When any of us do see issues on a review or through other experience, we’ll be the first to point it out to not only raise the issue to be addressed but to guide other users like us on which products do what they say on the tin vs those to bear with (as FW gets fixed) and those to avoid completely. We’ll also share tips and tricks on how to get the most out of a particular device and be brutally honest with feedback when we see an issue with a particular user config or install that needs addressing.

So lets gets this thread back on track regarding the 49225, which is a phenomenal camera (regardless of native AT version or re-flashed), continue to grow this great community and as always if anyone needs any assistance from me personally, I’m here, just tag me in a thread or reach out via DM and I’m happy to help where I can.

Thanks all for your time
WC
Well said brother..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those using this camera with Blue Iris, what camera setting are you using? The find/inspect found this but BI seems to be fuzzy and not as responsive as it should be. The camera image is fine in GUI.

1594184050783.png

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure why you find it fuzzy in BI and not in the Web UI as I find both the same quality. Are you sure you have not adjusted the contrast and Brightness in blue iris causing the picture to look over blown bottom left icons.

I set my FPS @30 max in BI as looking at the monitor quite often and like to see a smooth picture.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those using this camera with Blue Iris, what camera setting are you using? The find/inspect found this but BI seems to be fuzzy and not as responsive as it should be. The camera image is fine in GUI.

View attachment 65861
The current ver of BI for me, has lots of issue's yet.
What is not responsive? The PTZ?
If it's PTZ, then on the PTZ tab, choose Dahua New 4 instead of ONVIF.

Reaction score
wow.... 41 pages of comments to read on this thread.

I had just emailed Andy yesterday about a tracking PTZ and he promptly emailed back suggesting this model (Thanks Andy for that prompt reply btw! :thumb: ).

Today, I came across the gear-slip videos on YouTube, and then found them here on post #275. That sounds like a fatal hardware flaw to me.... Scary! From the experience of those here on this forum, is this a hit-or-miss issue, a rare issue, or something that screams "AVOID" this cam?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want an unbiased honest opinion, I think the first batches of this camera had problems reported here by many members including me. I returned my faulty camera to the Chinese seller and purchased one here in the UK which has been running now with the secret firmware for 77 days without any issues whatsoever.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mine was one of the preset slip ones with the grinding. I decided to wait for any firmware updates as it was reportedly a firmware issue. I have not had the issue reoccur for quite some time now... Like a couple months. It seems to have resolved itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score

I am wondering if any those who have ordered this camera have experienced THIS issue:
Mine was one of the preset slip ones with the grinding. I decided to wait for any firmware updates as it was reportedly a firmware issue. I have not had the issue reoccur for quite some time now... Like a couple months. It seems to have resolved itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I saw the video, I was worried that it was a COLD WEATHER problem-- I am in South Dakota and it will need to cope with some -20 nights each winter-- though I hope it's not too many of them.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@sdkid you should not see this issue now which when it was seen was limited in scope and numbers. HTH

I am wondering if any those who have ordered this camera have experienced THIS issue:

When I saw the video, I was worried that it was a COLD WEATHER problem-- I am in South Dakota and it will need to cope with some -20 nights each winter-- though I hope it's not too many of them.