Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have asked before, but nobody gave me an answer.
Andy, you provide this firmware, that includes the auto tracking, which is great, but in the future, if this camera receives an updated firmware and that update does not have the auto tracking, what we will do?
I'm considering this camera, but I'm concerned about this issue.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy, you provide this firmware, that includes the auto tracking, which is great, but in the future, if this camera receives an updated firmware and that update does not have the auto tracking, what we will do?
I will ask dahua to help us to make the firmware working out if have any big bugs need to fix up. Right now this model is bit stable now. Dahua's specification is not support autotracking, this is the special FW.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
That is my concern, Dahua may not provide an updated firmware with auto tracking.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
@tibimakai No seller will give you the "secret firmware" they will either remotely update your camera for you or send you it with the firmware already installed. If you decide to buy this camera and I can recommend it myself and you want the firmware to hand in case what you stated I would gladly send it to you.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt Dahua will bring any further updates out with autotracking feature as they want you to buy the more expensive 5 series and up hence why this camera is such a bargain @$300inc

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys

Our Amazon stock may have some stocks not flashed into the autotracking firmware, if any guy receive the firmware version at 2020.3.10 this one is not support autotracking, and contact us for the correct firmware, sorry for the trouble.

Andy
When i get the approve from dahua, i will post the firmware on ipcmatalk soon. I always post the latest new firmware before dahua website release, but have to obey the dahua policy.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
What if some security update comes up, that forces you to update?
I have the 59225 and I'm not too happy with it.
Which would be the next model up, with auto tracking, that works great?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What if some security update comes up, that forces you to update?
I have the 59225 and I'm not too happy with it.
Which would be the next model up, with auto tracking, that works great?
If you do not give your camera internet access, why would you have to update for a security update?

What issues do you have with the 59225?

I have been following this thread trying to figure out which PTZ to purchase.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It is not tracking well. Once in a while does what it suppose to, but many times, it zoom in on an object that is not even moving. Or goes past the object way to much.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Forget AT on the 59225 has never been any good along with it's focussing issues at night. The SD49225-XA is in a completely different league especially now that Dahua has sorted the preset slip on the newer camera's.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
That is what I'm trying to do, to upgrade, but I rather upgrade to something, that has an officially supported AT.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
SD5A232XA-HNR But I wouldn't say it's better than the SD49225-XA. I was thinking to upgrade to the SD5A425XA-HNR with its nice sensor and 4mp but members here are reporting faults with its auto tracking so holding off that plan for the moment.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@th182 thanks for the WB. Glad to hear we got you to a better place :) Reach out if you need anything

Welcome back! Hope I don't jinx myself but mine has been Rock solid lately! No preset slip anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @tibimakai as I mentioned before in this thread, there are 2 separate branches of this FW therefore if you are in a non AT unit and want it, you currently have to use the custom branch which will enable it. If you have a unit that DOES support AT from the factory then you can use the regular branch. To answer your question specifically on upgrades and make it clear for all, IF you upgrade a non factory AT 49225 to the regular firmware branch then YES you will lose AT. My hope personally is that Dahua merges the FW branches in future which could happen as they did revisit the re-flash to AT for 49225's sold through dealers/distributors. WRT to security issues those are generally (note I say generally) taken care of by any cam manufacturer due to the criticality and exposure of not patching these. Therefore if there were a security hole found at some point, I would expect it to be taken care of. Dahua & Hik have been pretty good about this in the past where these types of situations have occurred, even when a product is old in the tooth or on a non standard FW branch.

Next your question about camera selection. My personal favorites right now for PTZ's (unless you want to spend a ton of money or have a specific business / project or location need for a well built workhorse like the SD10A and even more specialized, SDT5 ;) ) are the 49225 if you want something cheaper BUT a powerhouse of features, or the 5A425 if you want to step up to the very capable 4MP sensor. Either one, must be installed (plan your install location) and configured correctly to ensure you get good results. See my posts here and in my 5A425 review for details on how that makes a big difference. Also see my post where I go through sensor size vs optics in both threads and the importance of that when selecting a cam. Both of these cams I mention represent the best in their relevant price ranges for performance, optics, features, ability, overall PQ currently. While there are definite build quality differences between 49xxx/59xxx/5Axxx and the SD6/8/10 (for example), in the favor of the SD6/8/10, the price to performance ratio and PQ quality of these 2 cams for residential installs is something that can't be overlooked and certainly when compared with sensor and optics (per my post) these 2 do beat out the 49445, 59225, 5A232 and even 5A445 (hence would not recommend those 4 over these 2). When you combine all of that with quiet operation (even more so whisper quiet on the 5A425) that can be incredibly important to the particular install requirements, in your case residential.

I will cover the regular caveat however of ensuring that you build your system for the location itself. As you've heard me (and others) mention many many times, PTZ's should not be looked at as a solve all solution where 1 PTZ can replace xx cameras. They can compliment an install very well and in some cases are absolutely required due their flexibility in range, height and features BUT they really shine when you pair with spotter cams in triangulated or quad cam configs as part of your overall solution. This ensures you never have a gap (PTZ looking the wrong way) in coverage or target zone which lets be honest is why you build a security system in the first place :)

The only other thing to consider is aesthetics, some people like the new 5A housing, others prefer the 49xxx/59xxx housing and others prefer the SD6/8/10 styles but that's down to you :)

To the point of can these cameras have issues or seemingly not perform as expected, YES of course. Now with that said, a large majority of the time these can be attributed to incorrect expectations of a unit, people buying the wrong piece of kit for a given area, OR config and install location related, BUT there is the occasion (we've all seen them) where you see a cam have build issues just like any technical equipment. Heck I've even seen build issues on $40k Canon CJEX lenses and Panasonic AJ-PX bodies I use but these are generally uncommon and if they do surface are in small batches that can be tracked to a build date range etc. In other cases these can be code level issues that get triggered in perfect storm situations or surface when component level HW has changed during build ranges. The key as we all know is ensuring you get good service through great dealers/distributors that take care of you in that time of service need. We all know that at some point we're going to end up with a cam, intercom, NVR, computer, phone etc that will break or even arrive defective, sometimes even DOA, its then down to quality of service and support that for me is key to any purchase I make personally or business wise.

HTH and as always let me know with any questions, you can always DM as well, happy to help where I can.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 - based on your experiences, would you put the SD49425XB-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ AI Support Autotracking Network Camera in the buy category for the under $500 PTZ? I take it that it suffers the same FW issues as the 49225?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj I personally would not recommend that camera and that is based on the sensor & optics pairing for the 4MP on the 1/2.8". I mentioned this in my post HERE so definitely take a read, hope that helps. Therefore if ok with 2MP go with the 49225 and if you want to step into 4MP the 5A425 but be prepared that the 5A425 is certainly north of $500 and approximately $700. Both of these cams hit the sweet spot of current sensor to MP to optics IMO and experience. As I've mentioned from day 1, the 49225 is an exceptional buy for the cost so don't rule it out if you don't need / desire / require the 4MP.

@Wildcat_1 - based on your experiences, would you put the SD49425XB-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ AI Support Autotracking Network Camera in the buy category for the under $500 PTZ? I take it that it suffers the same FW issues as the 49225?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 - I know it costs a little more, but from an availability standpoint the 49425 is easier/quicker to get LOL. If you ran it at 2MP, it would then be comparable to the 49225 correct?

I should probably bite the bullet and go the next step up but something about under $500 is an easier sell in the household LOL. The 5A425 is a lot larger as well if I recall from your write-ups correct?