Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@mech did yours do that from day 1 or preset movement worked as expected for a time ? Thought yours was good originally, no ?

@ljw2k can you turn on your PTZ coordinate overlay so can see how much it’s moving by itself ? Also have you fully defaulted to factory as well ? Groaning sound is certainly a strange one but would be interesting to see if that repeats or not. Groaning sounds on PTZ sound almost like an obstruction on the housing IF it can be replicated etc.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I have sent video's to Andy as you can actually see the camera slip on its own axis. This is certainly a Hardware fault inside as in slipping PTZ Motor hence why it's loosing the presets all the time.

The PTZ coordinates won't prove anything as its random and moves to a different position each time depending on how much the camera has slipped on the PTZ motor.

Mine has done it from Day 1.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so whats better than 1 review…….2 reviews……in tandem :) Read on to find out more.

All, thanks to Andy (@empiretecandy ) we have a new 2MP AI camera for testing. This camera has been provided by Andy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is a new PTZ with 4.8mm to 120mm focal length 25x optical zoom. 2 new and exciting features of this cam are SMD+ (Smart Morion Detection) and Deep IVS along with Pro AI features. These and many other features I will be testing in this review. I also intend to do something new this time, simultaneous review of an AI NVR, 5216 as I also review the PTZ. As I cover one feature on the PTZ I will also review and discuss the corresponding setting, configuration and any other features related to the NVR along with AI setup and capture in both (web GUI for cam & Ai NVR GUI). Hope this simultaneous approach will help those looking to understand both the cams + NVRs and also importantly, AI config within both.

Full specs below and will be adding initial pics & vids in post 2, AI feature breakdown and testing in post 3, tips and tricks on how to make these features work and other settings / menu functions in post 4 and a summary of findings / recommendations in post 5.

As always, if anyone has any questions as I go just leave a comment.

Approximate price of this PTZ is between $360 direct and slightly higher for AliExpress & Amazon accordingly.

Full spec sheet attached to this post

Ok let’s go, first pics on a bench test setup as I ensure all features are working before installing. Super quick pics here, more to come as I disconnect the cam from the bench and move to install location.

View attachment 51120View attachment 51121

and……after hanging Christmas lights, I also mounted a PFA120 & PFB305 combo ready to install outside for testing within this review. Pictured here next to a 5241-Z12 for LPR

View attachment 51122

2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera

Camera Details

Image Sensor
- 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
Effective Pixels - 2MP
Max. Resolution - 1920 (H) × 1080 (V)
ROM - 4GB
RAM - 1GB
Electronic Shutter Speed - 1/1 s–1/30,000 s
Min. Illumination
Color: 0.005Lux@F1.6
B/W: 0.0005Lux@F1.6
0Lux@F1.6 (IR light on)
IR Distance - 100 m (328.08 ft)
IR On/Off Control - Zoom Prio/Manual/SmartIR
IR LEDs Number - 6

Lens Information

Focal Length
- 4.8 mm–120 mm
Max. Aperture - F1.6–F4.4

Field of View
H: 62.8°–2.6°
V: 33.2°–1.7°
D: 67.3°–3.9°

Optical Zoom - 25x
Close Focus Distance - 0.1 m–1.5 m (0.33 ft–4.92 ft)
DORI Distance
Detect
- 1613 m (5291.99 ft)
Observe - 646 m (2119.42 ft)
Recognize - 323 m (1059.71 ft)
Identify - 161 m (528.22 ft)

PTZ Information

Pan/Tilt Range
- Pan: 0°–360° (endless)
Tilt: -15°–90° (auto flip 180°)
Manual Control Speed
Pan: 0.1°–200°/s
Tilt: 0.1°–120°/s
Preset Speed
Pan: 240°/s
Tilt: 200°/s
Presets - 300
Tour - 8 (up to 32 presets per tour)
Pattern Number - 5
Scanning Number - 5

AI Features

Perimeter Protection
- Tripwire and intrusion. Support alarm triggering by target types (human and vehicle). Support filtering false alarms caused by animals, rustling leaves, bright lights, etc.
Auto Tracking - Supported
SMD Plus - Supported
Video Metadata - Support human, motor vehicle and non-motor vehicle image capture.
I would like to buy one of these cameras, please show me the link to buy direct, I was not able to find it.
Thanks in Advance.
Chewie

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@chewie would recommend either Andy’s @EMPIRETECANDY amazon site below OR reach out to him directly for quote and direct order.

Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Support PoE+ English Version Amazon.com : Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Support PoE+ English Version : Camera & Photo

I would like to buy one of these cameras, please show me the link to buy direct, I was not able to find it.
Thanks in Advance.
Chewie

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mech did yours do that from day 1 or preset movement worked as expected for a time ? Thought yours was good originally, no ?
Mine was OK during initial indoor testing. I installed it on the week that the landlord's work crew were on-site doing some construction on the apartment building, so it got a real workout auto-tracking them all day in the parking lot. Day after day, I would come home to find it aimed in random directions which it regarded as Preset 1. Here's a sample where Chris is watching the camera track him, they were having fun defeating the camera.

I'm going to ship the camera to Dahua for inspection. It will be a great addition to my system if I can get it working. How long should I boil pasta for?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on that firmware and Autotracking is fine but my layout looks slightly different to the one you have posted.

2019-12-31 14_01_51-Setting - Internet Explorer.jpg

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So this unit auto tracking is having issues and they may not be resolved? I was looking forward to get one of these cameras, oh well, any other camera recommendations that can do what this camera is capable?
PS- Thanks Andy for the quote, but I will wait and see if these issues get resolved.
Regards.
Chewie

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
At the moment, is there a 4mp version of this with the 1/1.8" sensor

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure why Dahua have decided to delete ( DISABLE ) the auto tracking on this camera as mine works very good indeed and people as above want this feature and this is why they pay the money Dahua ask for this camera . If no longer functions then the price must have a very BIG discount.

My camera works fine as it should do on AT ( Auto tracking ) and my problem as Mechs is Hardware malfunction problem something to do with the PTZ drive system or belt. I believe Mech is going to send his camera back to Andy for further Investigation and I will probably have to return mine as it has the same problem.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well, that's to bad, well maybe the correct the issues.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@chewie , I wouldn’t be too worried about potential HW issues as in my experience so far these appear to be limited in scope in this model. However, definitely something I recommend Dahua takes a look at and I’m positive will be addressed/resolved by them after further testing is concluded. I also intend to test further units for this as well.

In speaking with Andy and Dahua, what is more disconcerting to me is that Dahua appears to be removing / disabling the Auto Tracking feature as more of a differentiator so that customers buy up to the next model or in this case series to gain a feature that was included in the Lite series for a long while and at a lower price point. This means the price point of entry increases as well since the next series WITH Auto Tracking would be the SD59xx series coming in around $599/$699 entry (for something like the 2MP SD59232XA-HNR) and moving quickly to around $800.

As the units I’ve seen already had loaded (or I’ve personally upgraded to 11/21 FW) still have the Auto Tracking feature enabled my thoughts are that this is actually being disabled/removed at the HW level (certain build dates) on new stock OR that Dahua is addressing the disabling of these features for certain serial number ranges in FW etc. Either way, disappointing.

What I am going to work on with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY is to see if we can flash a ‘newer’ unit (that appears to have Auto Tracking disabled) back to older FW/PTZ control FW and re-enable it that way. If we can then great, if not then my fears of this being something more embedded at the HW manufacturing level or tied to serial may be true.

I’ve asked Andy to check his current stock (Amazon, Ali, Direct etc) of the 49225 I reviewed here to see what those are showing both in terms of firmware level and features and will provide an update once further testing concludes. If Andy DOES have auto tracking enabled units left in inventory then I would highly recommend anyone interested jump on these quickly, especially at the current $399 price point on his Amazon store. Again though, will confirm this and update here ASAP.

@Arjun , the 49425 is also having Auto Tracking disabled so the next step up is to move to the Pro Series where 4MP is available in the SD5A425XA-HNR which comes in around $800 (to the best of my knowledge) but does include the nice 1/1.8” 4MP sensor.

Again this doesn’t detract from the Lite PTZ’s being great cameras (especially with the new sensors) BUT always a shame to see a manufacturer remove a previously included feature which can be key to many looking for PTZ functionality when it appears its only to differentiate between series or models.

HTH all, will continue to update as more is ascertained on this change.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Very disappointing @ Dahua

@Andy As the camera I purchased as a Ai camera does not now or in the future allow AT is no good to me sorry,even more worrying the hardware failure of the PTZ Mechanism I have had since Day1. I would like you to send me a return label to return the camera back.

If you are saying the AT features and AI will only be on the more expensive models then I will have to look into purchasing one of these instead or changing brands completly.

Last edited:

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@chewie , I wouldn’t be too worried about potential HW issues as in my experience so far these appear to be limited in scope in this model. However, definitely something I recommend Dahua takes a look at and I’m positive will be addressed/resolved by them after further testing is concluded. I also intend to test further units for this as well.

In speaking with Andy and Dahua, what is more disconcerting to me is that Dahua appears to be removing / disabling the Auto Tracking feature as more of a differentiator so that customers buy up to the next model or in this case series to gain a feature that was included in the Lite series for a long while and at a lower price point. This means the price point of entry increases as well since the next series WITH Auto Tracking would be the SD59xx series coming in around $599/$699 entry (for something like the 2MP SD59232XA-HNR) and moving quickly to around $800.

As the units I’ve seen already had loaded (or I’ve personally upgraded to 11/21 FW) still have the Auto Tracking feature enabled my thoughts are that this is actually being disabled/removed at the HW level (certain build dates) on new stock OR that Dahua is addressing the disabling of these features for certain serial number ranges in FW etc. Either way, disappointing.

What I am going to work on with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY is to see if we can flash a ‘newer’ unit (that appears to have Auto Tracking disabled) back to older FW/PTZ control FW and re-enable it that way. If we can then great, if not then my fears of this being something more embedded at the HW manufacturing level or tied to serial may be true.

I’ve asked Andy to check his current stock (Amazon, Ali, Direct etc) of the 49225 I reviewed here to see what those are showing both in terms of firmware level and features and will provide an update once further testing concludes. If Andy DOES have auto tracking enabled units left in inventory then I would highly recommend anyone interested jump on these quickly, especially at the current $399 price point on his Amazon store. Again though, will confirm this and update here ASAP.

@Arjun , the 49425 is also having Auto Tracking disabled so the next step up is to move to the Pro Series where 4MP is available in the SD5A425XA-HNR which comes in around $800 (to the best of my knowledge) but does include the nice 1/1.8” 4MP sensor.

Again this doesn’t detract from the Lite PTZ’s being great cameras (especially with the new sensors) BUT always a shame to see a manufacturer remove a previously included feature which can be key to many looking for PTZ functionality when it appears its only to differentiate between series or models.

HTH all, will continue to update as more is ascertained on this change.
Thanks Wildcat_1 for your comments, I don't have to have auto tracking, but I am looking for a PTZ camera with good night vision, I never owned a Dahua, I have other cameras and they work well for me, I am also looking for a camera that can be setup to catch car license plates, last week someone broke into our mail box and stole all the neighbors mail, now we have to go to the post office and pick our mail and is a PITA.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@chewie these PTZ's and the Starlight+ cams from Dahua in general work very well at capturing at night. If you want to capture LPR / ANPR this comes down to angle, height, distance to target, choke points, lighting etc. Some great cameras (depending on the items I listed above) would be the 7442 (can check my feed for that review), 7842 (check @looney2ns review) and for the longer distances for LPR then the legendary 5231-Z12, now replaced by the 5241-Z12. I own both of these cams and can personally attest to their ability to capture clear license plates beyond 150'. The 7x42 is in a different class being Ultra AI therefore expect to pay more BUT you get a lot more AI features including automated AI capture and processing. Therefore the 7x42's are great cams if you can make them work in your location/install and in your budget.

For further assistance with ANPR / LPR then be sure to check out that sub-forum where you will see suggested settings, captures and other advice from myself, @bigredfish and many others.

HTH

Thanks Wildcat_1 for your comments, I don't have to have auto tracking, but I am looking for a PTZ camera with good night vision, I never owned a Dahua, I have other cameras and they work well for me, I am also looking for a camera that can be setup to catch car license plates, last week someone broke into our mail box and stole all the neighbors mail, now we have to go to the post office and pick our mail and is a PITA.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This model still has autotracking and is a pro-model,
SD59232XA-HNR

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Almost thought we could get a PTZ with autotracking in the $3xx range, guess that didn't turn out well

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The issue with the 59xx series is price :(

I still have one PFB305W mount, want to be able setup one PTZ

that’s what I mentioned above @Arjun in post #132, both the 4MP being disabled too and the 59xx series model equivalents that still have it enabled :)

Last edited: