Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nothing wrong with VMs especially when you need them for platform dependent work across multiple OS’s but if you ONLY need browser access there are other options ;).

I will say though, in my experience I still see issues when using User Agent on a number of Dahua models which I don't see with raw IE so just be cautious and understand that this may not solve all
Of course! If you have another need for it then you certainly have to have it running.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And this is why being able to change the User-Agent is important, especially to people like me who are Apple based and can not use IE.
I doubt simply changing the User-Agent would address the problem, as I suspect the problem is incompatibility between JavaScript, which is used by everything except IE, and JScript, which is used only by IE.

JScript is highly compatible with JavaScript, but, since JScript is reverse-engineered from JavaScript, rather than derived from it, the compatibility is not always 100%.

Dahua will eventually have to address this problem, because IE is EOL'd. Thus JScript is going the way of the Dodo bird. (MS Edge, using Chrome's engine, employs JavaScript, rather than JScript.)

I don't really need a new camera at this time. It was more a lark than a need. So I'll just wait until Dahua's brilliant software engineering team :rolleyes: eventually gets with the program. Or somebody else comes up with a competing product that works properly.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem, @looney2ns, is that Chrome and Chrome derivatives don't display video
I've used the extension IE TAb in Chrome for a couple of years now, on several computers, and I've not ran into any issue's with setting up Dahua cams or NVR's. YMMV
Probably available only on MS-Win boxes. When I search extensions for "IE Tab" it comes up bupkis.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Odd, searching on "IE Tab" did not find that for me. Anyway: Installed. Then it wanted me to sign in to something? Nope. Thanks for the lead, though.

As for Chrome w/o the IE Tab: All I get is a spinning circle for the main stream. Oddly enough, however, Sub Stream 1 displays. Same encoding: H.264.

@looney2ns: What version of Chrome are you running?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Odd, searching on "IE Tab" did not find that for me. Anyway: Installed. Then it wanted me to sign in to something? Nope. Thanks for the lead, though.

As for Chrome w/o the IE Tab: All I get is a spinning circle for the main stream. Oddly enough, however, Sub Stream 1 displays. Same encoding: H.264.

@looney2ns: What version of Chrome are you running?
1618435556166.png

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting. I got no clue, unless it's a difference between the Linux and MS-Win builds ¯\(ツ)

IE Tab is a non-starter for me, in any event, even if I did have video. When used on an MS-Win box it uses a resident IE component for the rendering engine. But if you're not using an MS-Win box it actually relays everything through rendering engines on their servers. (Thus the need for the login.) Uhm... no

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I got no clue, unless it's a difference between the Linux and MS-Win builds ¯\(ツ)

IE Tab is a non-starter for me, in any event, even if I did have video. When used on an MS-Win box it uses a resident IE component for the rendering engine. But if you're not using an MS-Win box it actually relays everything through rendering engines on their servers. (Thus the need for the login.) Uhm... no
I've never had to "sign in" anywhere relating to IE Tab. I installed it and it worked. Unless they've changed something in a newer version.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except many of us do not have cameras connected to the internet, so no data is running through a server somewhere...

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never had to "sign in" anywhere relating to IE Tab. I installed it and it worked. Unless they've changed something in a newer version.
But you're using MS-Windows, yes? This means IE Tab is using the IE rendering engine directly on your computer. For non-MS-Win users, IT Tab has to pass the content off to Blackfish's servers, do the voodoo there, and pass the results back.

Here's what happens immediately when I install the IE Tab extension in Chrome:
IE_Tab_Getting_Started.png

Note the URL to which it takes me.

Except many of us do not have cameras connected to the internet, so no data is running through a server somewhere...
Neither are mine. They don't have to be. The IE Tab extension receives what's sent to the browser, passes it to IE Tab's servers for rendering, and the results are sent back to your browser for display.

That's if you're not using MS-Windows. Currently, that is. Guess what'll happen when the IE rendering engine is no longer available even on MS-Win boxen? <cue Jeopardy theme>

Bonus thought experiment: What happens if the rendering has to happen on Blackfish's servers and those servers become unavailable?

This is not a robust solution. Not to mention a security nightmare.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not use Chrome for my cameras, so I guess it is time to have someone that does with the IE tab extension pull the internet cable out of their dual NIC BI computer and try Chrome with the extension and see if it works completely without internet access....

All I know is IE works fine getting into my camera GUI on a computer that does not have internet access at all...

EDIT: maybe it only applies to Apple users:

(This feature only applies to the Mac & Chromebook versions of IE Tab)

IE Tab for Mac & Chromebook uses remote servers to render the web pages. These remote servers will not have access to URLs that can only be accessed from your local network.

But IE Tab provides a means of sending all requests back through your local computer to access those URLs. This will be slightly slower than normal since all requests have to make an additional round-trip, but performance is normally acceptable if the web site uses caching intelligently.

Last edited:

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
EDIT: maybe it only applies to Apple users:

(This feature only applies to the Mac & Chromebook versions of IE Tab)
And Linux users. And any other user whose OS doesn't have a native IE rendering engine. IOW: Any user of any non-MS-Windows computer.

And, when the IE rendering engine is no longer available on MS-Windows computers: Those, too.

I think we can stop talking about this. It's really badly-derailing the subject of the thread, which is supposed to be about the Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus.

My fault. I apologize for instigating the derailment :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's OK since this is an older PTZ that will be replaced by a newer model soon AND it has relevance to this specific camera!

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's OK since this is an older PTZ that will be replaced by a newer model soon AND it has relevance to this specific camera!
Maybe this discussion should be in a thread all its own? Haven't I read comments that this particular camera isn't the only Dahua camera to suffer this particular usability deficiency?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this discussion should be in a thread all its own? Haven't I read comments that this particular camera isn't the only Dahua camera to suffer this particular usability deficiency?
Yes, in general IE is the preferred browser for these types of cameras, but this one in particular seems to only hold the track time if in IE, or at least for most.

Maybe you can add your comments to this thread:

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe a moderator or @fenderman can move everything at and after post #1366 into that thread?

FWIW: Mozilla Firefox has been working fine on the Dahua cams I have already. Never even knew this was an issue.

ETA: Reading that thread, moving this stuff there would be a good thing. MS-Win users may about to be in for a rude awakening if @looney2ns "Ms has said that I.e will be removed from Windows later this year" is accurate.

Last edited:

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got this camera. Have auto tracking working. Is it correct that I should disable Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection in the camera firmware to not have them interfere with auto tracking? I am running Blue Iris. Thanks.