Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess for the home enthusiast, Dahua is pricing themselves out of the market then. Shame. AT should be a standard feature on all PTZ cameras. A lot of the cheaper HK compatible knockoffs have human AT already. The Dahua SD49(2|4)25XA-HNR is already twice the price of the HK knockoffs and I can't even think about four times the price or even higher than that.
The home enthusiasts are not Dahua's target audience, never have been.

esorven

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have bought from empirecandy this great camera in 2019 and it is working without any problem since, powering it (and lte modem + router) with batteries charged with solar panels (just the sd card inside the camera died 1 month ago: not able to format: i thought it was the camera formatting software that was faulty :) )
Can i update the firmware in more recent without loosing auto track (and be able to change default 15s at, i cannot do it with internet explorer and host hack) :
i understand that there is "AT factory version tweaked at 21-08-02) but i don't know where to find it ?
Actual firmware:
System VersionV2.800.0000000.17.R.P9.2520.UN.NR, Build Date: 2019-08-19
WEB VersionV3.2.1.776963
ONVIF Version18.12(V2.4.5.729857)
PTZ VersionV2.401.0000000.41.RHNZ_190712_32701
Security Baseline VersionV2.0

If i obtain a firmware and decide to update, will i loose my settings (the camera is 500km from where i live and i just go 1 day / month at this place ), do i have to reset it by default after updating ?
Thank you :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you update you will lose auto track. Not with the risk.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I

Thanks for the kind words

Yes to recap there are the original batches of 49225's that shipped from factory with Auto Tracking enabled. Dahua then decided to remove Auto Tracking as a feature. Due to distributor / integrator push back this was later re-enabled in a specific branch (separate) of FW. Its important to note however that this specific branch of FW does NOT mirror the main branch therefore some features may be lacking and its generally not updated as often. The 21-08-02 FW I list here that I'm testing is for the original batches of factory enabled AT 49225's. For clarity, ANY 49225's purchased today will be the non-factory Auto Tracking models. For those models your distributor such as @EMPIRETECANDY or others depending on who you purchase through should have 'special branch' FW available to share with you. This has also been shared on this board by others as well. I did recommend strongly to Dahua that they look at converging the 49225 FW branches (factory and non factory AT) but have not seen this to date. The fact they are now considering separating the Prometheus FW for 49225 vs 5A425 could allow for this convergence I mentioned but we'll have to wait and see.

HTH clarify. Also to date, this is the only newer cam (last few years) that has had a feature like this disabled after release. 5A425 came with it enabled from factory and other newer PTZ's also still have enabled.

If you need any further assistance just DM me, happy to help
Maybe a silly question, but how does one know if the 49225 they have is a "factory-enabled" version?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure there is a built date that any before is native AT, but that would probably be ones built at least two years ago. Somewhere in these 82 pages would b the date when people started buying it without AT lol.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you buy a 49225 and it don't come with auto tracking then you can always enable it with this firmware, or if you update the camera to the non auto tracking firmware it is easy to re enable.

Just don’t by the new S2 model coming out as that WON’T be able to be unlocked by the special branch of FW.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
This applies to the S3 model also.
You mean the new, not in stock, not readily available yet, S2 HW model ? I’m not referring to the later batches of S1 that you can currently buy that can be unlocked with FW. My understanding is that these new S2’s (HW revised) that are about to come out mainstream will not work with this FW. if it ends up being they can then great.

Definitely something that will need to be tested before concreting the statement either way but I would certainly advise caution until one of these brand new models is tested with it.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes S2 or S3. The firmware I posted is for the SD49225XA-HNR not the Newer S models. I upgraded to the SD5A425XA-HNR which was a big step up in terms of night performance with it's bigger sensor.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes S2 or S3. The firmware I posted is for the SD49225XA-HNR not the Newer S models. I upgraded to the SD5A425XA-HNR which was a big step up in terms of night performance with it's bigger sensor.
Glad you like the 5A, as I said in my review, it’s a good camera, has its quirks but solid overall.

Yes I would definitely advise caution for those considering a 49225 purchase that you stay clear of the upcoming newer models due to lack of AT out of the box and lack of ability to unlock. Check the version with your supplier and make sure you are still getting the older models for sure. Many still have these in stock and if people are interested in the 49225 buy those and don’t wait for new.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got one of these for testing. 5 minutes into testing the IVR indoors, the camera went into continuous spinning? I had to log back into the web interface and reset the PTZ to get it working again (or a power cycle would have done the same).

I haven't found anything about the cause of this? I have it being fed power from a poe+ switch, dedicated IP. The camera itself never lost power or the video signal. Just the stock cam purchase from Amazon, which says I'm on "the latest firmware" according to the built-in webserver - I imagine many have received the camera in the same state.

System Version2.800.1341000.0.R, Build Date: 2020-03-12
PTZ Version2.401.0000000.64.RHNZ_200219_34642
It is the latest version

Worried of it happening again after installation outside. Any known fix for this behavior that I'm not seeing in searching this thread and theipcamtalk forum?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
That firmware checker does not work.
Be sure to consult this forum members, before you would update the firmware, because you may loose the auto tracking feature. The new firmware, does not have this feature anymore.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, do not update that firmware under any situation or you will lose autotrack.

Has it happened again or was it a one time thing?

Is the switch one that you have access to the power draw that you can pull up a GUI that shows what the load is on it?

If it is more than a one time occurrence, it sounds to me like a potential power issue. I would suggest having it on the POE+ switch by itself so that it is the only power draw and see if the problem continues.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got one of these for testing. 5 minutes into testing the IVR indoors, the camera went into continuous spinning? I had to log back into the web interface and reset the PTZ to get it working again (or a power cycle would have done the same).

I haven't found anything about the cause of this? I have it being fed power from a poe+ switch, dedicated IP. The camera itself never lost power or the video signal. Just the stock cam purchase from Amazon, which says I'm on "the latest firmware" according to the built-in webserver - I imagine many have received the camera in the same state.

System Version2.800.1341000.0.R, Build Date: 2020-03-12
PTZ Version2.401.0000000.64.RHNZ_200219_34642
It is the latest version

Worried of it happening again after installation outside. Any known fix for this behavior that I'm not seeing in searching this thread and theipcamtalk forum?
Is it continually spinning each time and how long have you left it ? Remember on boot up PTZs initialize which means they go through all orientations for about a minute or 2. If watching through the web gui (using IE remember) then you will see it in PTZ boot up phase when looking at the Live screen.

If you are seeing this and NOT at boot up we’re you controlling the PTZ at the time it started spinning I.e moving it left/right etc before it happened ?

Are you using a managed switch to provide power or not ? If managed what do the logs show if anything ? What is the latency to the cam and what we’re you using to view/control the cam ?

Let me know and then we can tackle the other questions RE: FW etc.