Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you there! We see a lot of folks come here after getting burned by the recommendations of their distributor. Over here, a popular model they want to get rid of is a crappy 5MP that none of us would buy.

Given you need 1080p, in the PTZ model, the 49225 is your best bet. Nothing comes close to it based on price and performance. Can you call your distributor and get the prior firmware and rollback on the ones you updated?

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you there! We see a lot of folks come here after getting burned by the recommendations of their distributor. Over here, a popular model they want to get rid of is a crappy 5MP that none of us would buy.

Given you need 1080p, in the PTZ model, the 49225 is your best bet. Nothing comes close to it based on price and performance. Can you call your distributor and get the prior firmware and rollback on the ones you updated?
I did think about rolling back but was not sure if it would work and I can only find the latest firmwares.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless they changed it with the variant, you should be able to rollback.

Many people that made the mistake and upgraded and lost autotracking was able to rollback when they got the firmware from the place they purchased the camera (it has since been posted here for anyone that made that mistake), but I haven't seen the firmwares for the new variant posted here yet.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
A little gripe.
Why do Dahua not have changelog details for new firmwares on the official pages.
We have 3 of the S2 variant of the SD49225XA-HNR and having just updated the firmware I now see that that the mozaic masking has been removed and the solid masking no longer allows polygons. this actually causes some issues for us and deployment. Had there been a changelog and this removal of features been documented then we would have remained on the original firmware.
With over 150 dahua cameras in service and more Hikvison cameras due to be replaced with Dahua this year its is important we know what to expect
I agree. And it would be nice to have a Dahua-provided repository of firmware for each camera to be able to roll back.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In many instances they have been removing the firmware links. I suspect they quit putting firmware out on their website because too many people are purchasing Chinese hacked cameras or fake Dahua cams and then bricking them when they try to update the firmware and then they have to field complaints and phone calls.

So now, they can simply tell people to go to the vendor they purchased the camera from.

Further, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Dahua or Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install and maintain this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from.

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

Simply purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY and then go to his subforum to get the firmware updates and better in most instances than what Dahua pushes out to their own customers.

Further, while not an exhaustive list, this firmware subforum has many of the manufacturer firmware updates that members have uploaded when firmware becomes available. Maybe an older version can be found there.

But back to Andy, you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

His cameras are international versions, so one can go back and forth between the firmware Andy provides and what Dahua provides. Some people are OCD and want to see Dahua on the login LOL.

Plus they let Andy sell models before they even make them available for purchase. The 4K/X and 4K/T are recent examples.

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless they changed it with the variant, you should be able to rollback.

Many people that made the mistake and upgraded and lost autotracking was able to rollback when they got the firmware from the place they purchased the camera (it has since been posted here for anyone that made that mistake), but I haven't seen the firmwares for the new variant posted here yet.
Well after intialising my last remaining S2 variant held in stock it would appear that the S2 variant is not equipped with Mosaic masking and the solid masking can no longer do polygons.
That kills the further useage of the 49225 family dead in the water for us. I wonder if the 49425 family has gone along the same road. We definitly need to find a new model.
Thank you for your advice Wittaj

Edit: I could be wrong here but on comparing the data sheets between the original 49225 and the S2 variant the ROM has dropped from 4GB to a measley 256mb !

Last edited:

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
another question on Spotter cams with this PTZ.....I just set up Time Task to have my "return" preset....when I set up the PTZ to be triggered by the spotter cam I started getting tonnes of alert clips all saying EXTERNAL...I run deeptstack so i want it to pick out humans/cars of course and don't want these hundreds of alerts that are useless...what's causing this/how do i fix that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since the PTZ does the tracking I use BI motion instead of ONVIF triggers. I suspect that you are pulling ONVIF triggers since it says EXTERNAL and probably every movement is considered an image to go to Deepstack?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@railcam Yes, the chips for the original version are very good, i have a client bought from SD49225XA-HNR (s1 version and end of chips), so he moved to the SD49425XB-HNR, he buy 30-40pcs of this PTZ now every month, i try to recommend him the newer version, he tested and not happy, so i told him go on selling this model till the chips use up. Anyway, the S1 version support autotracking too. :)

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since the PTZ does the tracking I use BI motion instead of ONVIF triggers. I suspect that you are pulling ONVIF triggers since it says EXTERNAL and probably every movement is considered an image to go to Deepstack?
got it...ya i think thats it! thanks!
Question: We should have "Motion Detection" turned OFF in all of our cams' interfaces if using BI for motion correct? That doesn't impact IVS right? or should I leave that on if I have SD cards in each cam?

Also, I'm running 11 cams including this 49225xa....i'm adding a second 49225xa and have a 5842 as well as 3x5231 and some amcrest stuff....my BI PC is a i7-2600 and i feel like it's kind of getting max-ed out even with substreams enabled....I find the CPU spikes when a trigger occurs and it struggles to keep the 5842 FPS up to 15 even.....also running the AI.....do you think upgrading the BI PC to a 8th or 9th gen i7 with newer Intel QSV is gonna make everything run better and allow higher bitrates on all these cams ?

Last edited:

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
About the SD49225XA-HNR, I think I read a while ago that there was some optimal installation height due to the IR placement - but can't find this info anymore.

Am I remembering correctly? Is there such an optimal install height for this cam?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
About the SD49225XA-HNR, I think I read a while ago that there was some optimal installation height due to the IR placement - but can't find this info anymore.

Am I remembering correctly? Is there such an optimal install height for this cam?
The PTZ works better a little higher than we suggest for fixed cams.

The powerful zoom helps "flatten" the angle so that you get clean captures.

So a 2nd floor is a good location.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The PTZ works better a little higher than we suggest for fixed cams.

The powerful zoom helps "flatten" the angle so that you get clean captures.

So a 2nd floor is a good location.
Oh. I don't have a second floor.

Right underneath my soffit is ~12ft from the ground. The distance to the sidewalk that it would be looking at is 35-70ft away from the camera; can I get away just mounting it high as possible on the house? Or those shorter distances allow me to mount it lower?

Also, in another thread you recommended I mount my IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E LPR above the PTZ to eliminate IR bounce.
is that still the case with these install heights?

PTZ @ 11ft high and LPR @ 12ft high? or the other way around since I have limited height?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those distances 11-12 feet for the PTZ would be fine.

I would recommend the PTZ below the LPR. I am afraid if the LPR were below the PTZ you will get a lot of washout potentially.

But as always, best practice is to do it on test rig first to confirm.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

For those reading this in the future and wondering what am I talking about; Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ
I confused the 49225 with the 5A425, which does need to be mounted much higher. Was at 30ft in Wildcat_1's review video.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi - not sure if this is the right place but figured I would ask - my Dahua Sd49225xa that I got from Andy (unrelated to this problem) was working great but water got into the connector. The camera still works but I think I need to rewire the Catx connector on the camera. Is there a wiring guide to match up cables or an easy way to repair it?

The camera works but the cat6 connector in the camera is just slightly off - every 10th try it works but i would rather do a repair than keep climbing a ladder.

Thanks,
Rich

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi - not sure if this is the right place but figured I would ask - my Dahua Sd49225xa that I got from Andy (unrelated to this problem) was working great but water got into the connector. The camera still works but I think I need to rewire the Catx connector on the camera. Is there a wiring guide to match up cables or an easy way to repair it?

The camera works but the cat6 connector in the camera is just slightly off - every 10th try it works but i would rather do a repair than keep climbing a ladder.

Thanks,
Rich
I imagine they would be the same across all Dahua

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you - I assume no way to repair the actual connector itself?